calorie settings

Options
mfp says I should be eating 2100 calories a day. what would be the negative effects of eating less, say 1500? looking for thoughts on this, thanks.

Replies

• bartman4
    bartman4 Posts: 24
    Options
    None. MFP says I should eat 2000. I eat 1500-1800. Just make sure you aren't losing more than 2 pounds per week (as that's too much.) I target 1500 and generally eat a bit more. I don't add back in for exercise. I just eat a bit more if I'm hungry on days I work out a lot (and track that too). My metabolism is slow enough that I lose about .75-1 lb per week even though MFP says I should be losing 2+. Sadly my scale doesn't lie. ;) I'm quite comfortable with my results though.
  • iamdominique
    Options
    if you're hungry, eat (something healthy of course)! if you're not hungry, don't eat. Usually if you're eating healthy foods, you'll stay within your calorie limit with no problem. Just track it to make sure you're not getting too much food if you have a hard time being able to tell when it's too much. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're not constantly hungry, you're probably doing fine. Everybody is different and needs different levels of nutrients :) don't stress about it too much if you don't eat 2100 calories in a day. If you're going to eat around 1500 just make sure you're eating foods packed with awesome nutrients so your body has enough energy and good stuff going into it to keep you going.
  • jedgarner11
    jedgarner11 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Eat at the calorie intake that has you losing weight, but no more than 1% of your body weight per week, otherwise you're losing too much muscle with the rapid weight loss.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Eat what you should be eating. Not eating enough will increase muscle loss along the way.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I would tend to agree with the above comments. Eat good food and plenty of protein, good luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    mfp says I should be eating 2100 calories a day. what would be the negative effects of eating less, say 1500? looking for thoughts on this, thanks.

A man should be eating at least 1800 a day. You have a lot to lose so even at 1800 you should do just fine and be getting enough nutrition to do it in a healthy way.
  • jedgarner11
    jedgarner11 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone