So if 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat...

I just did some math and came up with some pretty interesting but potentially horrifying figures.

I took my net calories over the past 10 weeks, subtracted that from my TDEE for the same 10 weeks, and showed a total 15,022 calorie deficit for that period. If you divide that by 3500, you get 4.292, so in theory I should have lost just over 4 pounds... IF I only lost fat. In fact, though, I've lost 11 pounds. This either means that I'm overestimating what I eat, underestimating what I burn, calculating my TDEE wrong, or that I lost 4 pounds of fat and 7 pounds of muscle.

I think the most plausible explanation is that it's a little of all four of those factors (plus maybe some I haven't even thought of). The thought of losing that much muscle horrifies me. I started at 113, now down to 102, and I'm only 5'1" and 40yo. If I really did lose that much muscle, that's a really bad thing, especially compared to the fat presumably lost. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do my normal strength training (rock climbing) at all this whole time due to a shoulder injury, so I guess the bottom line is I totally messed up how I did this and torched a pretty sizable percentage of my hard earned lean muscle. And dangit, I really did earn it.

Thoughts? Advice? Words of condolence or encouragement? Virtual dope-slap for being an idiot? Seriously, life needs an "undo" button. :frown:

Replies

• girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    It takes a LONG time just to gain 5 pounds of muscle. You certainly didn’t loose that muscle in just 10 weeks. I would guess some is water weight and the rest is fat.
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Bump. Same problem and I'm afraid that I've lost a lot of muscle mass.
  • In theory the 3500 cal = 1 pound of fat but there is a lot more that goes into the weight loss you experienced. Many people lose some muscle mass when dieting no matter what even those who exercise, there is water weight losses involved also along with fat losses.

A good safe average rate of weight loss usually ends up falling between .5 and 2 pounds a week.
  • aishazi
    aishazi Posts: 25 Member
    Maybe you've lost a lot of water weight too! Have you increased water consumption lately, reduced salt intake? I find personally my weight drops quicker when I do not exercise (but that no reason not to exercise) so maybe that was another factor?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,864 Member
    Yeah muscle is hard earned for sure. It's possible that daily fluctuations in weight are at a low point, or a few lbs is water weight. Unfortunately though, 3500 calories can represent about 6lbs of muscle. For that to happen I would presume it would need to be a prefect storm where protein was very low, resistance training was non existent, current body fat was on the lower side and overall calories were also low, even then I wouldn't expect that much muscle loss. Get back to weight training as soon as possible, in the meantime maybe eat at maintenance and try some body weight exercises.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Assuming it has nothing to do with the weight of water, glycogen, or digestive contents, and you've logged all your food and exercise accurately, and you've figured your maintenance calories accurately, then yeah you might have a concern.

But considering how much water weight fluctuates around, don't freak out.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    I appreciate the comments and ideas. It would be awesome if it's a water fluctuation issue. I wish I knew my BF% when I started and now, as I suppose that would answer the question pretty clearly. To be honest, though, by the way I look (kinda saggy all over - booo!), I'm really afraid that, well, you know.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    It's impossible to tell for sure, but while you are waiting for you shoulder to heal can you at least do some lower body exercises? Squats, lunges, maybe even deadlifts (I've never had a shoulder injury so I have no idea if that's a terrible recommendation or not)? You can build a lot of muscle mass in those areas! And make sure your diet is good- lots of protein, good fats etc.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    My question is if you started at 113, why in the world are you trying to lose weight?????????? Sounds to me like you should be gaining.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Why did you use net calories? Shouldn't you use gross calories since TDEE is based on gross calories?

Weight loss is always a combination of muscle and fat. I have read the typical percentages, but don't remember ATM. Strength training decreases the proportion that is muscle but even then you'll still lose some.

I would be curious what your estimated TDEE is and what your "practical" TDEE is if you calculate it based on your loss. I would use that second number as your working TDEE, unless they were crazy different, in which case something is off.

Also, I'm not sure if ~3500 is 1 lb of fat or 1 lb of weight loss, have always been confused on that point.
  • melham
    My question is if you started at 113, why in the world are you trying to lose weight?????????? Sounds to me like you should be gaining.

I know 113 seems light already, but I'm so short and have such a small frame that I'm much more comfortable around 102-105. I love being lean, and it helps my climbing tremendously. My ultimate goal is to get back to 18 - 19% BF like I was a couple of years ago.
  • melham
    Why did you use net calories? Shouldn't you use gross calories since TDEE is based on gross calories?

Weight loss is always a combination of muscle and fat. I have read the typical percentages, but don't remember ATM. Strength training decreases the proportion that is muscle but even then you'll still lose some.

I would be curious what your estimated TDEE is and what your "practical" TDEE is if you calculate it based on your loss. I would use that second number as your working TDEE, unless they were crazy different, in which case something is off.

Also, I'm not sure if ~3500 is 1 lb of fat or 1 lb of weight loss, have always been confused on that point.

Interesting point about using gross calories rather than net calories. I'm afraid that would make everything even worse, because it would show that my deficit was smaller, unless I adjust my TDEE higher. Now I'm really starting to wonder how in the heck I've lost so much weight! However, you make good points, and I'm going to do some number tweaking and see what I come up with.