FILLING Snacks

Options
feelin_gr_8
feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
Yesterday was a splurge day for me with my husband's b-day, a little cake and Applebees (though I'm proud of myself for getting a salad and making it grilled instead of crispy chicken, and lite on the dressing). I had some salad leftovers for lunch today and knowing the calories...exercised more. But I'm still STARVING. I've already drank 7.5 cups of water and it's only 1:30pm. I had a string cheese for a protein boost. What is the most filling snack you've got for the least calories possible? I could seriously eat a large pizza right now....I don't know why I'm so hungry. Maybe because I worked out a smidge harder than I have been lately?

Replies

• agct1
    agct1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Egg white omlette with veggies. Broth with some veggies (carrots, bok choy). Black coffee. Grapefruit. Gum. Pickles. Miso soup.
  • feelin_gr_8
    Options
    I'm probably crazy, but I hate wasting egg yolks...the broth with veggies is a good idea. Not a coffee drinker, can't stand grapefruit without adding sugar, my jaw doesn't tolerate gum chewing.... dang, I didn't think I was that picky lol. Might try out the broth though. Any other ideas? (btw, my brother who is my personal inspiration and motivator swears by pickles, I think he eats them by the tub. I have to be in the mood, but they are a tasty option :) )
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of egg white omelettes with veggies as well. I buy just the egg whites so i'm not wasting the yolks. Hummus and carrots, protein shake, apples with peanut butter dip (mix peanut butter, greek yogurt and cinnamon).
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    if it were me, i'd eat a normal meal/substantial snack so i wasn't starving. you probably offset the number of calories taken in with your workout. your husband's birthday comes once a year - enjoy it, know that you made a relatively healthy choice, and move on with your life.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    I haven't done much research into 'the most filling snack with the least calories possible' but I normally solve my afternoon hunger pangs (4/5pm) with 15 almonds + around 10g of raisins. Sounds lame but it really ties me over til dinner.

I also drink 0.5l most afternoons around that time to try fill me up til dinner :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If I'm legit starving, not just pushing through slightly hungry gap between lunch and dinner, I have something like toast or cereal. My body is obviously not getting enough food, so I feel ok having a few more calories.
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would say grab a hard boiled eggs. Sounds like your body is hydrated but wants some more protein.
    Pickles are life savers!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Try drinking about 16 oz of water about 20 - 30 minutes before you eat. It seems to help me.
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is awesome - even the creamy 4% stuff isn't that high in calories.

Greek yogurt with honey.

Boiled eggs.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thin-sliced marinated roasted pork tenderloin. I roast one and slice it thin and put it in the fridge. sometimes I stack it with a thin boiled egg slice, cheese, and or avocado, depending on how big a "meal" I'm looking for. The tenderloin itself is very low calorie, high protein, but the way I eat it it does have a lot of sodium.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 small meals a day so no need for snacks...I love this way of eating...it's kicked started my weight loss again...:smile:
  • LisaLuyet
    LisaLuyet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat graham crackers with almond butter.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    apparently chia seeds are awesome, I haven't tried it yet though
  • JohnLSinclair
    JohnLSinclair Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try raw broccoli and cauliflower crowns dipped in mustard. You can eat tons of this stuff for super low calorie.

Try romaine salad with Walden Farms calorie free salad dressings. Roughage for the win, here - eat that stuff guilt free for days.

My latest snack is mini sweet bell peppers. I dip those in hummus, but hummus isn't very low calorie. But if you are judicious with it (and depending on what kind you get) two tablespoons of hummus shared across 8 - 10 mini sweet peppers can be quite filling. Just portion out the hummus first, and put the rest away and out of sight! It's too easy to just keep dipping and dipping!

Steak. Steak is very filling and low calorie. Six oz sirloin steak is pretty filling and, what, 215 calories or something!?

Honestly, I feel nuts, and eggs are not a good choice because of their high fat content. Those fat calories add up fast!

Hope that helps. I feel you're pain. I'm always hungry too. :) Can't wait for bulking season!
  • fyoufat
    fyoufat Posts: 85
    Options
    barbeque popchips are great. I also eat oatmeal with almond milk, pecans, a couple of white chocolate chips, and blueberries. You forget how filling oatmeal is until you eat it! protein shakes hold me over well.
  • feelin_gr_8
    Options
    Some good ideas. I like the nuts idea... just had a can of soup (140 calories) and 3 homegrown tomatoes. It helps...I think it's just going to be one of those "empty leg" days.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    if it were me, i'd eat a normal meal/substantial snack so i wasn't starving. you probably offset the number of calories taken in with your workout. your husband's birthday comes once a year - enjoy it, know that you made a relatively healthy choice, and move on with your life.

^^^I think this is perfect advice ^^^

But I love food, so let's talk about that. lol We can all use suggestions for healthy or different snacks.

I make veggie burgers out of lentils and brown rice - the last batch was Tomato Basil. The batch before that was Garlic Curry.
    They are super cheap, super easy, versatile, and filling, and they come in at 100 calories each. The last batch of 52 1/4 c portions cost about $3, because of the extras in them - and they freeze great. I like them crisped up in the skillet with Pam on a sandwich thin; or with an egg on top; or in place of meat in other things.....my daughter often just nukes them and piles veggies on top.

I absolutely love veggie and egg white omelets. I don't know that you have to waste the yolks. You could use them in something else for later or to give away. I use one whole egg and 3 eggs whites, a generous portion of mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, etc, maybe a tablespoon of shredded parmesan or .5. oz of cheddar or pepper jack, some seasonings. It comes in around 200 calories, which you can reduce by over a third if you leave out the one whole egg. My dog gets one yolk and be damned with the other two. lol I used to buy Egg Beaters, but they've gotten so expensive!

Not trying to push that on you, just saying it's definitely a go-to thing for me for breakfast or when I'm having a hungry day.

I'm with your brother. I like pickles or green olives as a late night snack if I'm just feeling like grazing, but I'm supposed to be watching my sodium a little, so I try not to do this unless I've worked out hard (yeah, right) or worked hard physically that day. When I was roofing in the July heat, you bet I did!!

Vegetables or veggie salads are good and very low calorie, depending on what you add to them, and a nice mix can be satisfying. I don't want a bowl of lettuce by itself. lol Not big on dressing though, so that's not a problem.

Lean chicken, boiled or pickled eggs, a little oatmeal (not that low in calories, but it sure sticks with you), a small amount of hummus with veggies.

Smoothies - you can use enough fruit to make it tasty, add some veggies you won't really taste (especially green leafy things), maybe a little yogurt / soy milk / protein powder or oats for extra protein to fill you up more.

A small amount of peanut or almond butter with carrots, apples, or celery is good.

If I just feel like eating crap, I measure out one cup of shredded hash browns and a .5 T of olive oil. It's still actually only 130 calories and it's better than an order of fries. : ) Sometimes I add this to a veggie omelet. lol

Stir-fries! A bunch of veggies, a little lean protein, some tasty condiment of your choosing...what's not to love?

Soup - a pot costs almost nothing to make and especially if there isn't a lot of rice or beans, etc, in it (mainly veggies, lean protein, seasonings), you can really fill up on it without it being crazy calorie-wise.

A baked potato - with low-fat or fat-free sour cream or cottage cheese; fat-free greek yogurt; a veggie mix; ratatoullie; salsa; low-fat aioli, whatever strikes your fancy.

Fruit and fat-free or low-fat yogurt - a parfait, I guess. I don't like granola much, but a little sprinkle of nuts, cereal or oats improves the texture for me.

Hope something sounds good to you.....but seriously, don't beat yourself up over having a good day with your family. Every day is new. You're doing great.
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    mmmm.....I'd try some of these, for sure.....

http://greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    Oh, yeah - shelled edamame (soy beans - I just get them frozen). Drop into boiling water, lower heat, simmer for 5 minutes or so. Drain them, run cold water over them, and salt them. I like them better if they chill for a little while, but don't find it necessary. I want to say 1/4 c. is about 120 or 130 calories. I love these and they are filling.

Did I mention I love food? :)
  • feelin_gr_8
    Options
    Oh, yeah - shelled edamame (soy beans - I just get them frozen). Drop into boiling water, lower heat, simmer for 5 minutes or so. Drain them, run cold water over them, and salt them. I like them better if they chill for a little while, but don't find it necessary. I want to say 1/4 c. is about 120 or 130 calories. I love these and they are filling.

Did I mention I love food? :)

I've got a thing against how much soy is in foods....so I tend to stay away from edamame....though it looks tasty.