DOMS help

Options
Hey guys,
I did the 30DS for the first time in forever the other day and my calves are killing me. Other than stretching and ibuprofen does anyone have any recommendations for DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)?

Thanks.

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Nope. You will learn to love them
  • jrv462
    jrv462 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that doubling my fish oil for the day helps. It might be a placebo effect, but I swear my muscles scream a little less with an additional dose.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Just me personally, I find some light aerobic work with the sore muscle helps me. Kinda under the theory that it gets some more blood and nutrients flowing to that muscle for recovery and help move the lactic acid out.

Although I am sure I look like a complete idiot running after leg day to anyone passing by me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    keep working out.

roll.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Walking around a pool helps me. It's not putting my full weight on the injured muscles, but it allows some light exercise to help stretch them out.
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started a new weight-lifting program a fortnight ago and for the first week my soreness was unreal. I invested in a 90cm x 15cm foam roller and now, every rest day, I spend half an hour or less rolling each muscle group on it. Some muscles are more difficult to roll properly but there are routines on Youtube to ensure you hit every area.

They are really effective and you can get one for less than you'd pay for a half-hour sports massage, so they're great value for money!

ETA: Also, as mentioned above, making sure you get enough mono-saturated fats into your diet will help to reduce muscle soreness.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Hot epsome salt bath, and a glass of red wine :wink: Also go for a leisurely walk. The more you sit, the more it hurts.

ETA: don't forget your protein after your work out...within 45 minutes. I find a good peanut butter, almond milk and chocolate whey smoothie reduces my DOMS significantly (and I get them BAD)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    First off I want to say embrace the DOMS, it's a great feeling. Secondly...

Hot epsome salt bath, and a glass of red wine :wink: Also go for a leisurely walk. The more you sit, the more it hurts.

ETA: don't forget your protein after your work out...within 45 minutes. I find a good peanut butter, almond milk and chocolate whey smoothie reduces my DOMS significantly (and I get them BAD)

Disregard this. There is no documented evidence of a post exercise 30 minute, 45 minute, 60 minute window where you need to consume protein for optimal results or for muscle relief. Muscle protein synthesis is elevated for 24 to 48 hours following a strength training session. If you want to have a protein shake right after your workout, it's fine, but not necessary at all. Just go home and eat a complete meal later.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Lots of studies have been done on DOMS, and the treatment that works most consistently is light exercise. Stretching, massage, and anti-inflammatories sometimes work, sometimes don't. Nothing else consistently works.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12617692

Not sure i agree with the idea of loving extreme soreness. It's a sign of overtraining, plus pain diminishes muscle strength output.. in other words, you're in a weakened state. I don't see how that's a good thing.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Disregard this. There is no documented evidence of a post exercise 30 minute, 45 minute, 60 minute window where you need to consume protein for optimal results or for muscle relief. Muscle protein synthesis is elevated for 24 to 48 hours following a strength training session. If you want to have a protein shake right after your workout, it's fine, but not necessary at all. Just go home and eat a complete meal later.

Thanx genius, I was commenting on what works for me...sorry I didn't throw my credentials and a list of websites to support my theory. No need to disregard it, just throwing it out there. And who the hell wants to go home and eat a complete meal after they just busted their *kitten*? I work out at night, you think I really feel like making a massive supper at 10pm? Thanx for your input though.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Umm...yeah...doms can be a symptom of overtraining, not a sign. You can also overtrain and never get doms.

Personally I love it when I get doms. Actually miss getting it on certain muscles on my body with the exception of my thighs. Trying to take a duece 2 days after you do squats for the first time wouldn't be a punishment I would wish on my enemies.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Thanx genius, I was commenting on what works for me...sorry I didn't throw my credentials and a list of websites to support my theory. No need to disregard it, just throwing it out there. And who the hell wants to go home and eat a complete meal after they just busted their *kitten*? I work out at night, you think I really feel like making a massive supper at 10pm? Thanx for your input though.

Way to have a freak out and start off your response in an extremely disrespectful way haha. If you noticed in my post, I said that there is no evidence for a post exercise nutrient window, so there is absolutely no physical advantage in consuming nutrients immediately after a work out, BUT if you prefer to have a protein shake or something soon after your workout for personal preference, that is completely fine. Also, meal timing has no effect on body composition, so it doesn't matter if you eat a complete meal before or after you workout, it has the same effect. Tons of people prefer eating late at night, so don't dismiss it because you don't prefer it. It all comes down to personal preference as meal timing, meal frequency, and meal size have no effect as long as total calories and macro intake are constant. Please calm down.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I would like to do a bit of research into this. My kids swim competitively, and the information coming from USA swimming encourages a certain amount of protein within a certain amount of time, all based on body weight and also intensity of training. They actually have an online worksheet that you can do for your child for reccommendations.

Now, I am not a nutritionist, or a personal trainer or anything, but I do think USA swimming has a certain amount of credibility. After all, these are the people who train world class athletes.

Anyway, I am curious about what is the truth here.

Maybe it really is an intensity issue. Even though many of us on here work out hard, I know it is nothing like the training that my teen does for his swim team. Both cardio and strength training, six days a week, lots of cardio volume (10,000+ yards a day, etc).

All you trainers out there, what do you think?
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    MAGNESIUM!!!!!!!!! Miricle supplement.

I have a glass of water mixed with this: http://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/

Many people say it also calms you down - i am not sure about that but it helps my muscles unbelieveably,

Be careful though, too much can be detrimental for the bowels!
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a trained sports massage therapist, and have helped many people with this. Find a GOOD massage therapist to get monthly treatments, going maybe once a week to start. Make sure the person working on you is not at Massage Envy or some other nasty organization. Make sure they are qualified. Research, research, research!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Potassium supplements or high potassium foods (ex. bananas) pre and/or post work outs. Mayo Clinic also recommends adding magnesium and calcium to your diet.