Long term MFPers, does the humger ever go away!?!

Options
Been at this about a month, have lost 10 pounds. But I am hungry CONSTANTLY! I upped my cals to help with the hunger, still hungry if not worse, tried eating less, working out less, working out more, more water....etc. At first I thought it was mental hunger, but man by stomach is growling, even after I eat! Trying to eat good filling healthy foods, not too much processed crap. My question is, does the hunger go away after awhile? It feels like unless I am stuffed, I am just hungry again 30 min after I eat. Frustrating!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    How many calories you eating?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kipala
    kipala Posts: 3
    Options
    How about eating less carbs? Carbs make your sugar level in you blood fluctuate a lot which creates your craving feelings. It helped me a lot!
    For instance, I eat 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and won't feel any hunger till 12.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say without knowing your stats and being able to see your food and exercise diary. I can tell you that I've been using MFP since October of last year and have lost ~35 lbs without feeling like I'm starving. Sure, I've had a day here or there where I felt ravenous, but I did that even before I started counting calories :o
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    for sure!
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry, so I eat all the time.

I spread out my calories throughout snacks and meals so I don't go much longer than 2 hours without food. Even if I eat big meals, I get hungry shortly after, so I focus on smaller meals and many snacks.

I would find a schedule that works with your calorie goal, your schedule and your hunger!

Water also helps a lot! And sugar-free gum/sugar-free mints! Those usually do the trick if I'm still super hungry right after a meal/snack.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How many calories you eating?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

1400 and if I exercise and am hungry I will eat some of them back.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I might try this, maybe split up the things I would have for lunch and dinner into smaller mini meals. Thanks!
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    On 5:2, so only hungry 2 days a week!:happy:
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said watch your carb intake. When I was doing low-carb I was never hungry. The first week of MFP I was not hungry despite meeting my goals and even going under them, then started upping my carb intake (because I had the extra calories and love carbs, lol) and just the last couple of days I've noticed I'm feeling hungry even after meeting my caloric goals, so I am going to cut back a bit on them again.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The hunger goes away if you eat plenty of calories.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry. Or rarely hungry, and when I am its because I need to eat because my calories are low or my exercise is high.

I have learned a LOT from MFP about what things have a lot of calories and aren't that satisfying. So I eat a lot less bread, rice, milk, cheese. I eat a lot more protein. When I'm hungry I have a piece of fruit or some nuts (like 5) or a fig or date. Things that take a bit to digest and not that much.

I also learned that when I was hungry (like really hungry, not habit hungry) that I should eat something. I read somewhere that you 'train' your body to know that when your blood sugar is low it can count on getting food and doesn't have to scream. That sounds like garbage to me scientifically, but it did seem to work.

Now my problem is that my 'stomach has shrunk' as my mom would say, and I am satisfied much more quickly with small meals.

I do notice that when I eat things that are easy to digest - like quick oats or the pancakes I had this morning (no syrup) I get hungry quickly. But that's an expected reaction to high glycemic food.