I'm heavier than I look, and my weight won't go down.

Options
I recently visited my local nurse after a blood pressure misreading at my gym gave me a big scare (my blood pressure is absolutely fine, thankfully) and when the nurse weighed me she said I weigh about a stone heavier than I look. I'm 5' 5" and 163lbs, which is quite heavy for a UK size 12.

I've been getting more serious about weight loss over the last couple of weeks and have started cycling quite a bit, and whilst I can see a difference in my body, my weight is just going up -- today I weighed myself (admittedly after dinner, which was silly) and I was 172lbs! I have to stress that my body has if anything gotten slightly smaller than my visit to the nurse, and that none of my clothes are tight in any way.

So, my question is this: are some people just doomed to be heavier than they appear? And, is a weight fluctuation of nearly a stone normal? I'm getting concerned as my weight never seems to go down.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Where you carry fat, and your body composition, both influence how heavy you look.

Weighing in different places, wearing different clothes, at different times of the day will definitely produce big fluctuations and confusing results.
  • notelling123
    notelling123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First, you're comparing two measurements of weight from separate apparatus with no gauge of precision between the two. (ie, one or the other could be wrong).

Muscle mass has a higher density than body fat, water retention due to menstruation or birth control, can all cause strange seeming "swings" in weight. If you've been weight training or even exercising a large muscle group (legs), you could very well go up in weight, at least temporarily, similarly, you could be carrying water from other more feminine realities.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    if you look smaller then does it matter, it's just a number
  • trishayla
    trishayla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a nutritionist that visits my work site once a week. I was feeling very discouraged because I have been working hard with no weight loss results. He was able to test my body composition and informed me that I turmed 3 pounds of fat into muscle. Don't focus so much on the scale but how you feel and how your clothes are fitting. The scale has still not budged for me, but my wedding ring is spinning on my finger. I have to just keep doing what I am doing and eventually the scale with catch up with me. :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Use the same scale, in the same amount or lack of clothing, the same time of the day for a more accurate record of your weight fluctuations. If the cycling and exercise is new part of the gain could be your muscles retaining water. If you're losing in/cm I wouldn't be overly concerned by the scale though. It's still progress in the right direction.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

^^^ Love this!
  • just_me_mindy
    just_me_mindy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am about 30lbs heavier then I look, it is a blessing in disguise. To the point where I have asked by the doctors to get on and off a few different scales around their office. I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale but more how your clothes fit and your measurements..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You're not "doomed" to weigh more. It's a good thing! You probably have somewhat higher lean mass, which is also a good thing.

Think of it this way, would you rather weigh 163 and look like you weigh 149, or weigh 149 and look like you weigh 163? Other than the nurse, no one knows how much you weigh. Everyone can see how good you look.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

Yep.

Nobody knows how much you weigh unless you tell them, or step on a scale in front of them. Assuming you look lighter because you're body composition is better, or you're more well proportioned, I don't see any issue. It's better than looking heavier than you are!

Have you had your body fat measured? I'd think that would be a better indication of what you have to lose / what is healthy :)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    You're not "doomed" to weigh more. It's a good thing! You probably have somewhat higher lean mass, which is also a good thing.

Think of it this way, would you rather weigh 163 and look like you weigh 149, or weigh 149 and look like you weigh 163? Other than the nurse, no one knows how much you weigh. Everyone can see how good you look.

I agree. Weighing more than you look seems to be a positive to me. If you're healthy and happy with what you see in the mirror, then that's awesome :smile:
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When people guess my weight, they say a stone lighter than I am, I feel your pain but like the others said

you may weight more but if your leaner and more toned, then who gives a s**t? its a number! I say well done for all the hard work and the clothes fitting better!!!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Never, ever weigh yourself after dinner!!! :noway:

Just keep up what you are doing. Hopefully you've been building muscle mass and some fat will come off soon. Otherwise, maybe reevaluate your plan later.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Oh my heart jumped when I saw this post.

I'm in the very same boat, my trainer didn't even weigh me at our first session. he took thorough body fat and measurements. next week will be our 8th PT session and we are gonna review them.

I personally think that inches/cm are more accurate. I have quite a lot of muscle, esp legs.

I got on the scale myself a few days ago, and nothing... maybe a kilo... but that's it...

it is annoying to see no changes on that darned scale.

anyway keep up the good work. :-)
  • harlar
    harlar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Aww thank you! Your replies have made me feel so much better already. :) I was just concerned because a stone seems like a huge fluctuation (and I'm a worrier by nature). I think I'll stick with my measurements as I only really care about how my body looks and feels, not the number of pounds itself. ^__^'
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It's better than the alternative.... looking heavier than you actually are!

When I started losing weight, I was 173.8 lbs (I'm 5'8"). When people guess how much I weighed, they thought about 140 lbs. So I, too, was heavier than I appeared. In fact, when I hit the 20 lbs lost milestone, I told people that I lost 20 lbs because I was so excited, and the majority of responses were, "Wow, I wouldn't have guessed you had 20 lbs to lose."

As for why you're gaining weight after working out, I'm sure you're just putting on muscle mass. Also, when you start a new workout regimen, your body holds onto water to help repair the muscles that aren't yet used to the exertion you put them through. Keep your head up, keep looking forward and it will happen before you know it!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I recently visited my local nurse after a blood pressure misreading at my gym gave me a big scare (my blood pressure is absolutely fine, thankfully) and when the nurse weighed me she said I weigh about a stone heavier than I look. I'm 5' 5" and 163lbs, which is quite heavy for a UK size 12.

I've been getting more serious about weight loss over the last couple of weeks and have started cycling quite a bit, and whilst I can see a difference in my body, my weight is just going up -- today I weighed myself (admittedly after dinner, which was silly) and I was 172lbs! I have to stress that my body has if anything gotten slightly smaller than my visit to the nurse, and that none of my clothes are tight in any way.

So, my question is this: are some people just doomed to be heavier than they appear? And, is a weight fluctuation of nearly a stone normal? I'm getting concerned as my weight never seems to go down.

I'm 5'6" and 160 pounds, wearing a US size 8 pants which is a UK size 10. I wear the same size pants as I did when I weighed 142. So it is definitely a body composition thing. I am as compact at 160 as I was at 142.

Your recent "weight gain" disregard. You need to weigh in the morning, after using the toilet and before eating. To gain a real pound of fat, you would have needed to consume 3,500 calories over your maintenance calories for the week, and you certainly didn't consume 3,500 x 9, to gain 9 real pounds.

It is probably water retention, contents of your stomach and bowels, etc. You didn't gain muscle either, you have to eat at a surplus and it's incredibly difficult for women to build muscle even when they are trying.
  • harlar
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 160 pounds, wearing a US size 8 pants which is a UK size 10. I wear the same size pants as I did when I weighed 142. So it is definitely a body composition thing. I am as compact at 160 as I was at 142.

Your recent "weight gain" disregard. You need to weigh in the morning, after using the toilet and before eating. To gain a real pound of fat, you would have needed to consume 3,500 calories over your maintenance calories for the week, and you certainly didn't consume 3,500 x 9, to gain 9 real pounds.

It is probably water retention, contents of your stomach and bowels, etc. You didn't gain muscle either, you have to eat at a surplus and it's incredibly difficult for women to build muscle even when they are trying.

I think it must just be water. I've gone from being on an exercise halt to doing 4.5 miles four times a week. I didn't actually realise that your body did that when you began exercising, so that is very reassuring! Thank you!

P.S. That's a UK size 12, same as me. :)
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Love it!
  • theatregirl4416
    Options
    I completely agree with everything you have said in your OP.

I am a UK size 14-16, stuck at my current weight, and I look smaller than I weigh, everyone says so. However I'm not happy with whats in the mirror and I'm not happy in a 2 piece swimsuit either! So I feel your pain to see the needle staying stuck on the same point (or going up).

Have you tried measuring yourself with a tape measure? Often the scales dont reflect whats going on but the measurements will......
  • harlar
    Options
    I completely agree with everything you have said in your OP.

I am a UK size 14-16, stuck at my current weight, and I look smaller than I weigh, everyone says so. However I'm not happy with whats in the mirror and I'm not happy in a 2 piece swimsuit either! So I feel your pain to see the needle staying stuck on the same point (or going up).

Have you tried measuring yourself with a tape measure? Often the scales dont reflect whats going on but the measurements will......

It can be very frustrating! I took my measurements on Sunday so I'm going to compare them in a couple of weeks' time. Hopefully that will give me a boost as my problem has always been that I don't see any positive results from healthy eating and exercise, so I just give up.