Too soon for a 5K?

Options
So... I'm not a runner. I'm just starting the C25K but I've been walking 5K to try and get used to the distance.

There's a 5K run for charity here in November... I'm considering registering. I think it will be great motivation to keep running and I can only imagine how amazing I'll feel after doing it.

I've seen some of you guys say to Just Do It! But I'm afraid I'm jumping the gun, and maybe it's too soon to think about that... Even though it's 4 months away?

I'm 225lbs and 5'6", if that matters....

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    November is plenty of time. I coach a learn to run program (same as C25k) which is 10 weeks. The goal at the end is to run a 5k race. Some may not run the whole thing, but they finish mostly running.

Go for it.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Me personally? I say it's never too soon! I am signing up for a 10K in October, having just recently switched from C25K to C210K. It's not how fast you run/jog/walk it's that you RUN/JOG/WALK! November is seriously a long way away and it gives you a little extra time in case you feel you need to repeat a week or 2.

I don't think you height and weight matter. Determination and will power are what push you through. I'm 5'4" and 175#. I just quit smoking April 28th. I forced my self through 63 days of Insanity and started C25K before I quit.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of time and C25K will get you prepared. Even if you have to walk some of it you won't be the only one. It is a good goal to work towards and will keep you motivated on the days C25K seems hard.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    November gives you plenty of time to work through the program (and repeat a couple of weeks if you need to).

Be consistent (and patient) in your training and listen to your body.
  • buchy2009
    buchy2009 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I say do it. More training will make it easier, but (especially if you include walk breaks) I'm sure you could do it tomorrow if you had to. I agree that weight doesn't matter. I ran a 26.2 in the high 200s.
  • Hannah7783
    Hannah7783 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    LOADS OF TIME!! Do it! Also - so what if you walk some of it. Youre doing more than everyone who is sitting at home!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Me personally? I say it's never too soon!

I agree. If you can walk the distance - sign up!

You'll be helping their cause and there will be plenty of walkers and really slow runners - you won't be last.

Then, depending on your level of fitness at the time of the race, run some/all of it.

They are great motivation and a great time!

ETA: My first one was @ 276 lbs (5'9") after a couple months (2 or 3) of starting to walk/run and I took 43 minutes. I was not last.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It's never too soon. So you can't run all the way round? So what? Walk a bit, run a bit, and the feeling you will get at the end is better than anything you will ever experience.

All I will suggest, train on 6km and the race itself will seem easier.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No way! You should do it. There are always sections that are walk/run and parts where people slow down depending on what type of run it is.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it! I went from not running at all.. now I do a 5k every week (5 now!)- I do walk some of it. I'm a tad smaller but I'd literally never done exercise before.
    Tips are to get decent running shoes, know your limits...it IS ok to walk parts of charity runs.. the main thing is the finish line. Hydrate properly but try not to guzzle on the way round as it can give stitch. My 5k time is shocking, however... I'm DOING IT! I use something called Park Run- see if they have them near you, maybe?
    Every one starts somewhere... we're just at the beginning. The hardest part for me was confidence to do it in front of others.
    I'm still at the beginning of my journey, so i'm learning about my body..sometimes that learning hurts,but i feel proud i'm trying.
    Good luck- it's a wonderful thing to want to do.

Ps-motivation? On my charity run for cancer, a lady with lung cancer at the time completed it. She walked a few steps and rested, It took her 2hrs 40mins... but she did it! :D
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Wow!
    Thanks guys :D

It is definitely something I want to do, I was just scared I was jumping the gun haha... But I guess it's true that I won't come in first, but it's a success as long as I finish. It'll be the first step towards Tough Mudder next September!

You guys rock, BTW.