5 2 diet

Options
2»

Replies

• lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7953-5-2-fasting

This is the link to the 5:2 diet group where you will find loads of advice from likeminded informed people!
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think this could be a good starter for some to get some portion perspective but I have tried living on 500 cals a day and its very boring. I personally would rather eat long term healthy - life change is better than diet! Xx
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The non fast days you are expected to eat sensibly, not stuff one's face with burgers, chocolate cake & wine

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is NOT a choice to make so you can eat like crap for the 5 days!!!! Clearly, if you are eating 500 calories for two days just so you can eat flipping cake the rest of the 5 you don't really care about being healthy.

And NO - I'm not saying you can't ever have cake. I just find that people use this diet as an excuse to eat crap.

Oh and This - absolutely agree!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im in my 10th week and have lost 4 kilos about 9 lbs.

I have more energy, sleeping better, skin is excellent and my moodiness has improved.
  • NettyDiez
    NettyDiez Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I have more energy, sleeping better, skin is excellent and my moodiness has improved.
  • NettyDiez
    Options

That is very inspiring. Thank you

Any tips?

I'm on my 1St week and have list almost 1kilo.
    I eat 1200 calories the rest of the week + loads of green tea and water. With some coffee in between
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation :)

I think I will stick to my current regime :)

this. why starve to only gain it back in a few days.
    I have to disagree. My friend has lost half a stone.

Your friend lost weight because he/she is eating at a caloric deficit. Not because of some magical diet. I tried 5:2 but I found myself eating over maintance on my nonfast days so I stopped doing it. Nonfast days are not meant for you to gorge or you will maintain/gain weight even with the two fast days.
  • NettyDiez
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation :)

I think I will stick to my current regime :)

this. why starve to only gain it back in a few days.
    I have to disagree. My friend has lost half a stone.

Your friend lost weight because he/she is eating at a caloric deficit. Not because of some magical diet. I tried 5:2 but I found myself eating over maintance on my nonfast days so I stopped doing it. Nonfast days are not meant for you to gorge or you will maintain/gain weight even with the two fast days.
    I agree with what your saying but I'm determined to loos the weight. I'm making sure that
    I eat 1200 cals or less the rest of the week.
    This Webb site helps me cause I can be honest without bring judged.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You really should be eating more than 1200 cals on your non fast days. Michael Mosley recommends around 2000 cals, I eat just a bit less than my TDEE.
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I cant see how this could be sustainable for life? I'm not looking for a quick fix. Tis why I dont "diet". I'm in it for the long haul. 50lbs in 8 months works for me and I don't starve. Why not do something sustainable? Are you going to eat 500 cals 2 times a week for the rest of your life? That sounds awful!
  • NettyDiez
    Options

Any tips?

I eat 1200 calories the rest of the week + loads of green tea and water. With some coffee in between
  • NettyDiez
    Options
    You really should be eating more than 1200 cals on your non fast days. Michael Mosley recommends around 2000 cals, I eat just a bit less than my TDEE.

I find that if I eat more I automatically put on more. I did try the
    2000 Cals and I out on half a kilo. Rather eat less
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've done 5 months on 5:2 lost 22 lbs but more important my cholesterol dropped from 5.9 to 4 in 3 months and my liver function improved 100 %. It does get easier and you do settle into a pattern and the headaches don't seem to come after the first month.
    My tip a fast buddy helps. I'm doing it with my husband who wanted to lose weight. Yes he's lost 24 lbs
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Any tips?

Ive completed my 10th week now and have lost 10lbs.

Tips:

Eat your TDEE on non fast days
    Drink water lots of it
    Avoid Breakfast I eat less than 105 cals for lunch and the bulk goes on dinner
    Do not snack

My biggest tip would be to exercise. I find my biggest losses on any week is due to me ramping up the exercise be it Cardio or weights.
  • Lisasnomys
    Lisasnomys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 5 2 of sorts :-) Monday to Friday I eat my calories and exercise everyday and on weekend I relax and eat whatever I feel like in moderation. I also take the weekend off from logging. It works for me am down 3.5kg in three weeks and am feeling great.
  • shanodot
    shanodot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also boil up about 5 eggs the night before and only eat the whites. That and wafer thin sliced ham kill the worst hunger pangs. I prefer to leave breakfast as late as possible and then have 5-6 small snacks over the course of the day.

Oh I like this tip... I forget that an egg white has only about 10 calories!

I only had about 25 lbs to lose but on 5:2 diet I lose it fast. About 4 lbs a week. The fasting days are difficult for the first few times but get much easier and you really feel so much better and more energetic on this diet. I know people that fast only 1 day a week to maintain their weight when they meet their goal and that's what I plan to do after I lose 2 more pounds.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think the 5:2 diet is a little misunderstood and would be most beneficial (fat loss vs lean body loss) for those who subscribe to a low glucose eating regiment. If your body is accustomed to burning fat for fuel as it would be in a Primal, Paleo, Atkins, Keto eating pattern it would forage for nutrients in your fat cells where as with a high glucose load diet the body would go for lean body mass. I haven't tried fasting with my Primal eating (yet) but I would imagine I will feel zero of the negative consequences such as the light headedness, headaches, carb crashing results that are reported by people eating normal high glucose insulin rollercoaster diets.
  • loulidster1
    Options
    I've just started back doing this again - I only had a break as I had an operation and wasn't sure if I should fast while recovering although one of the benefits of fasting is that it switches your body into repair mode, according to the Michael Moseley book. The book's a very interesting read - my motivation was as much for the health benefits other than just the weight loss benefits.

The beauty of this is that it isn't a diet - it's a lifestyle change really. I find on fast days I feel lighter, have more focus and just as much energy as I have on a regular day. I love salad anyway so I just forgo the olive oil/dressings on a fast day - you can eat tonnes of fresh tomatoes/cucumber/lettuce and things like pastrami are good as they're very low in calories. I've never dieted before and never would as I know they don't work - you have to make a permanent change to your lifestyle if you're going to have the permanent change to your weight and health.

Good luck to anyone doing it!