dizziness/light-headedness

Options
I go to the gym 5 days a week for 60-90 minutes each day. Workouts vary each day; sometimes all-cardio, other times all strength, sometimes both. I have been doing pushups, crunches, leg lifts, calf raises and jumping jacks each day though to prepare for marching band season. Recently, I have come out of the gym feeling dizzy and lightheaded, either right at the end or shortly after I come home. Am I overdoing it? Do I need to eat better? I really don't know what's going on with me.

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of exercise. How many calories are you eating/burning?
  • 2nsmom
    2nsmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    check your blood pressure
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 5 days a week for 60-90 minutes each day. Workouts vary each day; sometimes all-cardio, other times all strength, sometimes both. I have been doing pushups, crunches, leg lifts, calf raises and jumping jacks each day though to prepare for marching band season. Recently, I have come out of the gym feeling dizzy and lightheaded, either right at the end or shortly after I come home. Am I overdoing it? Do I need to eat better? I really don't know what's going on with me.

Are you eating enough? Drinking enough water?

I ask this because I eat probably 250 calories for breakfast, then go burn off 300-400 in the gym. Most of the time I am shaky by the time I am done. The first thing I do when I get into my car to head home is to eat a 200 cal protein bar. I also drink at least a quart of water at the gym, and another quart on the way home ( I aim for 1 gallon or more per day).
  • iamthesweenmachine
    iamthesweenmachine Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 3-4 cups of water per day, including like a whole bottle at the gym. I also eat right, although I usually go after like a 200 calorie (or less) breakfast, usually a bowl of cereal or something simple like that. I also eat a lot of carbs, so I can see all of your comments being valid.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 3-4 cups of water per day, including like a whole bottle at the gym. I also eat right, although I usually go after like a 200 calorie (or less) breakfast, usually a bowl of cereal or something simple like that. I also eat a lot of carbs, so I can see all of your comments being valid.

Ummm. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I would bet money that you are chronically dehydrated. When you pee, what color is it? If it is darker than pale yellow, you need more water. I drink a full 32oz at the gym ( four 8 oz glasses) alone.

If you are eating 200 calories or less, then going and burning off 300+, you could be dizzy because you are running on empty. Try eating a little more ( I eat 1-2 eggs and a slice of toast, sometimes fried potatoes too) in the morning, or planning to eat a snack right after your workout.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Ummm. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I would bet money that you are chronically dehydrated. When you pee, what color is it? If it is darker than pale yellow, you need more water. I drink a full 32oz at the gym ( four 8 oz glasses) alone.

If you are eating 200 calories or less, then going and burning off 300+, you could be dizzy because you are running on empty. Try eating a little more ( I eat 1-2 eggs and a slice of toast, sometimes fried potatoes too) in the morning, or planning to eat a snack right after your workout.

I agree totally with this! I eat 2 eggs and a piece toast for breakfast, almost every day. I drink through out my workout and it is nothing for me to take a short break to take in a few calories, while working out. With this said, I would also suggest you get a check up and make sure there isn't something else going on.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Mostly likely a little from column A, a little from column B.

And by "eat better" I mean "eat more"
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's dehydration and most likely too little calories to burn. 3-4 cups is not nearly enough, especially since you are exercising so much. Double your water intake. Also go get your BP checked. That will show if you are dehydrated. This happened to me. It was after working the nightshift for my first week, and I collapsed when i got up from bed the next day. Super dehydrated and too few calories.... my BP was low enough that going from laying down to standing reduced the blood flow to my brain to the point of dizziness, vertigo, and nausa.