TDEE-%20 questions for 5ft 5in women

Replies

• tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    I read about meeting calories goals and such. But do you guys eat all the carbs they allot us? I mean 199. I keep mine between 50-60.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I read about meeting calories goals and such. But do you guys eat all the carbs they allot us? I mean 199. I keep mine between 50-60.

I changed mine, protein was far too low. I am usually around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. That puts me over 100 grams of carbs (too lazy to do the math right now) and I aim to keep it around there unless I am training for distance.

Many people edit the macro goals.
  • Sevio
    Sevio Posts: 181 Member
    So glad you posted this Topic.

I recently upped my calories after seeing no change in my weight loss. I only have about 7 lbs left to go and have been constantly maintaining for a while now.

I noticed there was one week where I ate more according to the charts and graphs and guess what that week I actually lost some weight...that's when the light bulb went on....

I decided to up my calorie intake to TDEE-10% and I get around 1880 per day. We shall see what happens....but this post definitely gives me more of a positive feeling. And to think that I could have probably eaten more and didn't really stinks! Considering I love to eat and enjoy food :-)

If anyone is looking for a new friend to check in and see how it's going for them; I would totally add you
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I don't want to take over this thread from the OP, so if you'd prefer to message me instead of side-tracking from the OP, that's fine. But I had a couple of quick questions for everyone that's having success being 5'5" and eating 1800-1900 calories on TDEE -20% since that's what this thread is full of. :) About how much weight do you lose each week? And how consistent is the weight loss week over week?

I've been contemplating switching to TDEE -20% and am also 5'5", 34 years old, and mine comes out to about 1850 a day. I wouldn't be doing it until after I finish training for my next race that's at the end of this month, simply because I've found that if I don't eat back a fair chunk of my exercise calories (I'm on a 1500 net) on long run days and my other heavier workout day, I end up super fatigued the next day and end up more prone to bonking a run.

But I don't have any races planned until March of next year, and was contemplating making this change. Just had those couple of nagging questions.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Being a vegetarian, i struggle with keeping protiens high and carbs low. That would be my next goal, currently focused only on calories( not a good thing to do i know:()
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Bumping to follow.
  • Sparkie134
    Sparkie134 Posts: 65 Member
    I don't want to take over this thread from the OP, so if you'd prefer to message me instead of side-tracking from the OP, that's fine. But I had a couple of quick questions for everyone that's having success being 5'5" and eating 1800-1900 calories on TDEE -20% since that's what this thread is full of. :) About how much weight do you lose each week? And how consistent is the weight loss week over week?

I've been contemplating switching to TDEE -20% and am also 5'5", 34 years old, and mine comes out to about 1850 a day. I wouldn't be doing it until after I finish training for my next race that's at the end of this month, simply because I've found that if I don't eat back a fair chunk of my exercise calories (I'm on a 1500 net) on long run days and my other heavier workout day, I end up super fatigued the next day and end up more prone to bonking a run.

But I don't have any races planned until March of next year, and was contemplating making this change. Just had those couple of nagging questions.

Thanks for the questions! I would love to hear these answers too!!!
  • UpNorthMama
    UpNorthMama Posts: 13 Member
    Bump for answers...I too am 5'5 and I'm 34 years old and I recently starting doing TDEE -20%. I'm scared to step on the scale for awhile because I'm scared I've been eating so much more. I really hope this works, as I'm pretty active with cardio and strength training and I was finding it hard to lose weight before this. This is the start of week 3 of eating more and I can tell I feel better and have more energy. Thank you for all sharing, it really helps!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Im 5"6, 187lbs. I lose, .5lbs per week when I eat around 2000 cals each day so 1850 sounds right for you!
  • amanda07425
    amanda07425 Posts: 105 Member
    I just started the TDEE method, which is 2046 Calories and 20% TDEE- 1637 Calories.. One question for all of you that found this successful.. are you eating this calorie amount and NOT eating calories back? so if I eat 1637 but burn 200-300 calories, still just eat that 1637? Thanks! (I've been in a weight loss plateau for over a year and I'm really trying to break it)
  • Sparkie134
    Sparkie134 Posts: 65 Member
    UPDATE!
    I have been logging my TDEE (and honestly, with the events this weekend, only one day have I done minus %20), AND I LOST A POUND SO FAR! Which is exciting for me after being on a plateau for so long. The rest of that 25lbs better look out, because Im going to get rid of it too! ;-D
  • Sevio
    Sevio Posts: 181 Member
    UPDATE!
    I have been logging my TDEE (and honestly, with the events this weekend, only one day have I done minus %20), AND I LOST A POUND SO FAR! Which is exciting for me after being on a plateau for so long. The rest of that 25lbs better look out, because Im going to get rid of it too! ;-D

Awesome job!! So glad you posted an update!!
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    I just started the TDEE method, which is 2046 Calories and 20% TDEE- 1637 Calories.. One question for all of you that found this successful.. are you eating this calorie amount and NOT eating calories back? so if I eat 1637 but burn 200-300 calories, still just eat that 1637? Thanks! (I've been in a weight loss plateau for over a year and I'm really trying to break it)

If you have calculated tdee 20% with 'idle' activity level then u can eat back your exercise calories. ...
  • amanda07425
    I did it at "light active" because I work out about 30 mins 5 days a week.. I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't eat those back and that I'm suppose to eat 1637 even on days that I don't work out?
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    I'm 5'3 and i set mine at -30% (because i am quite obese, CW ~220) and i work out 5-7 times a week (cardio and cardio/weight mixture), and i got a very similar number. I am a little under sometimes, but mostly very close to my numbers and i am losing, very slowly, but definitely losing (especially in terms of clothing becoming baggier and baggier...)
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    I'm doing TDEE-10% (I only have aboout 10 more pounds to go) and my cals are 2000, 35P/35C/30F. I've only lost 7 lbs in the past year, but my BF% has been dropping like crazy since I increased my calories. I aim to hit my protein and fat macros first, and fill in the rest with whatever carbs I want. :) Once your body accepts you're going to feed it good stuff regularly it will let go of the excess. :)
  • amanda07425
    I apologize, I read through all the posts and I see that you eat the same amount of calories even when you don't work out. I'm going to try toe 20%TDEE method and hopefully it works because this year long plateau is soooo frustrating! Thanks for the thread, it was really helpful information..
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Hi!
    I have been wondering if my calories are too low. So I read on here to find a TDEE calculator, enter my info and then deduct %20. I am 5ft 5inches, 29 years old, & 160lbs. I do 40minutes of cardio in the morning and 35 minutes of weights in the evening. I work at a desk job 9 hours a day.

I entered my information on this site http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    It told me that my TDEE is 2322 calories per day.
    If I calculated right, to deduct %20 from that would be appx 1850 calories a day to lose weight, without eating back my workout calories (since I put my workouts into the TDEE calculator).

1850 seems way to high for me to lose weight. I was anticipating close to 1500.

Are there any women out there with similar stats that lose weight on a diet of 1800-1900 daily calorie intake?

For me it is too low. I found that my actual TDEE is much higher. I'm 5'4" and losing while eating 2000-2100. I work a desk job, do about 15 minutes of exercise a day, plus normal housework, and such, so it seems my activity level is much less than yours. I don't do a 20% cut though. I only cut by 200-300 calories.
  • amanda07425
    QUOTE:
    Just keep in mind (based on your ticker) that you don't have much to lose, so the loss will still be pretty slow, but it should still happen. Been there myself.

I figured it'd be slow, but as long as I see some movement downward I'll be happy.. it's alot better than staying the same! Did you lose the last 10 using the 20% TDEE method?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

I eat between 200-250g carbs daily. Unless someone is totally sedentary, just lying around watching TV all day, then it's appropriate to eat carbohydrates to provide energy for daily activities. Someone who doesn't leave their bed shouldn't need very many carbs. For others, personal preferences are what they are.