Sugar Causes Cravings

Options
Both science and experience have proven that sugar consumption plays a big role in causing food cravings.

So... as hard as it is to initially stay away from the sugar.... it may not be a bad idea to only consume in moderation... if you want to avoid those cravings that send your calorie count over the edge into the great abyss.

Anyone have any experience with their sugar consumption causing cravings....?

How about some great "sweets" substitutes...?

Replies

• terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love the Dannon Greek yogurt!! Low calories and sugar!!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Sugar sates my sugar cravings.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just cut out all sugar (except natural sugars/honey in moderation) about two weeks ago and I find that other than salt cravings, I really don't crave anything anymore.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Sugar sates my sugar cravings.

^this
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I gave up processed sugar a few months ago and my cravings dissipated and that was something I struggled with daily all my life.

Now when I get hungry for sugar I eat fruit and I feel so much better.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Some flavors of protein bars or shakes can take care of a sugar craving.

I know, I know, it's just processed stuff, but if it keeps candy or soda out of my mouth, well....
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The less sugar you eat, the less sugar you want.
  • ijohn001
    ijohn001 Posts: 166
    Options
    The less sugar you eat, the less sugar you want.

yes!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Years ago I began really limiting sugar. I nearly gave it up altogether. Cold Turkey. Before that I had a real sweet tooth. So, I thought giving it up was the best solution. And I still believe that. I ate very, very little added sugar for more than a year. Now, I can eat sugar without cravings. In fact, too much sugar or things that are too sweet (like fudge) I can only eat a small bit before it's just too much.

With a strong family history of diabetes (which I believe is diet related rather than genetic) I think it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I must be weird, because I've never really experienced this.

I like sweet things. I eat sweet things regularly (check my last two weeks - went a little overboard w/ half a watermelon and a couple of slices of chocolate silk pie along with my usual nightly dessert). But, I don't crave sweet things. If my day doesn't include something sweet (very rarely happens, but every now and then it does) it doesn't bother me. The more sweets I eat, the less of them I want - it's just too much of the same thing. Then I start wanting salty, umami foods. This week I'm wanting salted hard boiled eggs, for example.