Don't say it!

Options
GOOD RULE: Don't say anything to yourself that you wouldn't say to a close friend in a similar situation.

I've noticed that some of you guys are really hard on yourselves, even outright mean - so I thought I'd share that bit of advice that has helped me along the way.

For example:
If a friend of yours had a binge day, would you tell her that she was fat and disgusting?
If she worked hard and lost 100lbs, would you tell her that the skin on her tummy looked gross instead of congratulating her?
If she got busy and failed to get to the gym last week, would you call her hopeless and advise her to just give up?

I hope not! And you would probably think anyone who did say those things to your friend was being a real jerk - so be your own best friend, and treat yourself accordingly.

Replies

• GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    nice post.

I am my own worst critic. Thanks for this.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump
    I'll need to read that often in the near future
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    very nice post and it goes for all aspects of our lives not just diet. too often we forget to take care of us
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Excellent points!
  • AJ_Muffin
    AJ_Muffin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Love this!! :heart:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Living by this rule daily. :heart:
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    very true, i am so hard on myself and never think those nasty thoughts about my friends and family. Thank you! :heart:
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Very wise words. Need to follow this! :smile:
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I alternate, sometimes too easy and sometimes to hard.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, I followed along with a 21 day meditation program by Deepak Chopra. One of those days, he talked about this very thing. He pointed out: when you have a friend who is feeling bad, or who is sick or injured or unwell, do you say, "go away, I do not like you"? No. You say supportive things, you nurture and care for that person. Do we not all deserve the same for ourselves?

It is certainly easier said than done. It is human nature to want to continue to learn, grow, develop, and improve... and it is also natural to be a bit dissatisfied with how things are, so that we can strive to reach goals of improvement. But so often, those feelings of dissatisfaction morph into something that inhibits our growth rather than motivates it. It can be a fine line, but one that is well worth addressing and analyzing.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I also check myself regularly by asking, "If you said the things to your friends that you say to yourself, how many friends would you have left?"

I'd like the answer to be, "All of them!"
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump :heart:
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    best.topic.ever.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Well put!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    My inner critic is my worst enemy... I will need to remember this post many, many, many times on this journey. Thanks for posting.
  • No1Stinger
    No1Stinger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lovely post AJ.
    I am always putting myself down and I call my wife (Babykins_27) fatty too many times. Although she knows I'm only kidding.
    I think I put myself down to give myself more motivation, but it's true. I would not like a friend to call me fat or what ever.
    Today I am feeling absolutely great. I've hit one of my milestones yesterday and today and now I've only got 28lb to go.
    Excellent post. Keep em coming.
    Andy
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    :heart: and :drinker: pal!
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You know, that's so true, but I've never thought of it like that. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am very hard on myself and to the extreme at times. And I always deserve it. But, I would never talk to friends or family that way.