Whole grain pasta recipes?

Options
sarabee0405
sarabee0405 Posts: 25 Member
Looking for more suggestions for healthy whole grain pasta recipes.

Last night I made penne pasta with alfredo and chicken. Outside of using chicken breast, I'm not very creative. Give me ideas! :smile:

Replies

• princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i've changed to wholemeal pasta :)
    i use it the same as normal pasta.. so the stanard tomato sauce,

to this you can add veggies, or mushrooms and olives... bacon..
    puree butter beans with garlic and onion is a great creamy alternative.. (i also added spinach ) broccoli and zucchini are yummy in a creamy sauce..

i do a lot of garlic and olive oil pasta for a very easy dinner...
  • mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sassy Suppers

http://sassysuppers.blogspot.it/2012/02/martha-monday-whole-wheat-spaghetti.html

IMG_6287.JPG

other yum variants of:

toasted almonds instead of pistachios
    fresh basil instead of arugula
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I love making Peanut Noodles:

1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
    1 tsp dry ginger
    1/2 cup peanut butter

Warm all ingredients on medium-low in a sauce pan while the pasta is cooking. You will need to whisk the peanut butter to make the sauce smooth. After pasta is cooked and drained, stir in the sauce. Serve with red pepper flakes sprinkled on top for marvelous heat!

It's fabulous with whole wheat noodles since it has a strong flavor that can take on the strong whole wheat flavor of the pasta :)
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I like peanut noodles too: I make with lime juice instead of vinegar and use fresh ginger, and very little soy (I'm watching my sodium). I put in lots of stir fry veggies and lean protein. Serving for one you can use quite a lot less peanut butter, and/or even substitute PB2 to get the fat down.

I also love this cheap "pantry meal": lemony sardines and whole wheat pasta:

Serving for one: Two diced shallots, 1 cup broccoli, half tbsp olive oil, toss in a medium skillet for a bit, add one can of sardines, toss gently. Add zest and juice from one lemon (go light or heavy depending on how lemony you like -- the whole lemon will in fact make this dish super lemony), a tbsp or so of breadcrumbs. Add in one serving of cooked pasta.

It's a great dish because it's cheap, easy to scale up to cook for a family, and easy to make substitutions based on what's in your cupboards. Other greens, garlic, onions or leek instead of shallot, different kinds of sardines like canned in tomato sauce (or even use canned salmon or tuna), etc.
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat linguini with a ton, ton, ton of sauteed garlic, italian parsley, crushed red pepper and parmesan cheese. Reserve the pasta water so you can cut down on the amnt of olive oil used.