Paleo Ratios Help

Options
I have recently started learning about the Paleo diet and it is really interesting.
I love the concept-Getting back to our human diet. Eating real actual cooked food.
I was wondering if anyone knew how to figure out the ratio you nee to eat of fats/protein/carb for best weight loss?
I've been all over Google and I am having no luck.
Any help is much appreciates :blushing:

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Its a relatively high fat, moderate protein diet. Mark Sisson offers some guidance on macronutrients in quite a few of his articles on marksdailyapple.com.

There is a group on here that will probably be way more helpful than the general forums since paleo is a highly debated diet:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/37-primal-paleo-support-group

You can get back to our human diet and eat real actual cooked food without random restriction of demonized foods dictated by supposed dietary habits of paleolithic man. Unless you have an intolerance to dairy or gluten, there is no need to eliminate these things, just eat them in moderation. This is coming from a person who still follows some aspects of paleo, the main influence in weight loss is understanding your caloric needs and eating at a moderate deficit from your TDEE not over restriction of foods. Paleo is not a magical weight loss tool, its just a style of eating... like Atkins, Mediterranean, Low Carb, IIFYM... they are all purely preferential and its mostly an issue of finding one that you can sustain a caloric deficit in.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Its a relatively high fat, moderate protein diet. Mark Sisson offers some guidance on macronutrients in quite a few of his articles on marksdailyapple.com.

There is a group on here that will probably be way more helpful than the general forums since paleo is a highly debated diet:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/37-primal-paleo-support-group

You can get back to our human diet and eat real actual cooked food without random restriction of demonized foods dictated by supposed dietary habits of paleolithic man. Unless you have an intolerance to dairy or gluten, there is no need to eliminate these things, just eat them in moderation. This is coming from a person who still follows some aspects of paleo, the main influence in weight loss is understanding your caloric needs and eating at a moderate deficit from your TDEE not over restriction of foods. Paleo is not a magical weight loss tool, its just a style of eating... like Atkins, Mediterranean, Low Carb, IIFYM... they are all purely preferential and its mostly an issue of finding one that you can sustain a caloric deficit in.

I agree with this 100%

I might even go one step further an say that calculating macros takes you outside the tenants of paleo. Cavemen obviously did not worry about macros. I also want to reiterate that paleo is not a magic weight loss tool. This way of eating is more about reducing inflammation, healing your body naturally and eating in a way that supports the planet. I.e. organic, grass-fed, local, non-processed.

For me, I'm GENERALLY a follower of the paleo way of eating, though as of late I've been trying to add more carbohydrate based calories back into my diet. Also, I don't care one bit about what our ancestors ate, and I basically despise labels that put me in some kind of box.
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Was thinking of trying this method of eating as my daughter has gluten,dairy and egg allergies.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The problem with the paleolithic diet is that it assumes humans have not evolved since the paleolithic era. We have (for example the reason humans back then could not drink milk and we can is because humans evolved the ability to process lactose throughout our lives as opposed to through a certain stage of development.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, I'm going to try this "diet" (hate using the word). Not because I think its a cure all, not because I'm looking for some magic weight loss diet. I'm trying it because my diet needs a kick in the butt.. I have lost weight but as of lately I can't move the pounds. They wont budge. I workout I eat within my calories (and macros). So now its time to change it up. The problem is, I know the diet say NOT to track calories... but I'm going to just for piece of mind, at least to start.

Please feel free to add me as a friend, I really don't know the macros you should be consuming but we can always help each other. :flowerforyou:
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    30% carbs, 50% fat, the rest protein. But, if you track, you're not really doing Paleo. You don't need to track with this diet.
    Thank you very much for your help! :flowerforyou: I appreciate it.
    That's exactly what I was looking for- a general guideline. I'm not planning on counting calories or restricting;I know that's not the point of this way of eating. I just needed an outline to help me learn.