Paleo is making me fat....

Options
I started eating Paleo 3-4 months ago because I really do feel better. I don't do well with diary so the biggest change was cutting out the grains. I didn't eat a ton but ate some oatmeal and some Ezekiel bread. Long story short, I did really well for about 2 months but now I am putting on weight! I am so frustrated. Anyone else with this issue? And I feel like now when I do "cheat" and eat grains I gain like 3 pounds...

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If you are noticing a gain after your 'cheat' its water retention from the carbs, not truly 'fat'... I follow Keto and use some Paleo recipes here and there and when ever I do a carb refeed (about once a month) I gain about 3-4 pounds and after 2 days of my regular diet and water its gone.. no worries keep up the great work!!
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    maybe u are consuming too much calories than you burn
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I started to gain with Paleo as well, but when I started with a food diary I discovered I ate too much calories and too much carbs. There can be other factors as well, like stress for example. Maybe you should read this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/9-more-reasons-youre-not-losing-weight/#axzz2b4dgh8Lk
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Paleo isn't making you fat, eating too much is making you fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I started eating Paleo 3-4 months ago because I really do feel better. I don't do well with diary so the biggest change was cutting out the grains. I didn't eat a ton but ate some oatmeal and some Ezekiel bread. Long story short, I did really well for about 2 months but now I am putting on weight! I am so frustrated. Anyone else with this issue? And I feel like now when I do "cheat" and eat grains I gain like 3 pounds...

Paleo isn't making you fat. Eating at a calorie surplus is making you fat.

yep!

and the gain from the 'cheat' is because you're eating more carbs than normal.
  • MrsSandra
    MrsSandra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Maybe try cutting out grains and gluten for a little while, get your carbs from a few pieces of fruit each day and see what happens....? Just a thought....Im new to eating Paleo....Im doing gluten, grain, dairy, sugar free for now...with three cheat meals a month. If your 3lb weight gain is from water weight after a cheat meal....dandelion leaves in a smoothie, can get rid of too much water weight. It helps a lot.