Cardio before or after heavy lifting?

I've been working out for about a month or so now and I'm loving it! My goal is to lose weight and build muscles at the same time.
However, I hear that it may largely depend upon when you do your cardio. Apparently, cardio after weight-lifting breaks down the muscles you've just stimulated, and cardio before weight-lifting results in fatigue. Therefore, less muscle development!

I'm so confused! I've just cut down on cardio (HIIT)! Too scared to lose muscle, but I also need to lose a few kilograms! I still want to look plump after the weight loss.

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    cardio doesnt burn muscle. going into extreme calorie deficit burns muscle.
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Thanks, I didn't know that. Usually I walk to my gym class, maybe that's cardio? It's about 14 blocks, and sometimes my gym teacher has me warm up with the bikes before weight lifting. Or is that after? I guess it would be better after. Thanks, anyhow, I walk a lot but am learning to run, and will save that on off days, then.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    cardio doesnt burn muscle. going into extreme calorie deficit burns muscle.
    This. Cardio after weights. The strength training uses up glycogen stores, so it forces your body to burn more fat during cardio.

Truthfully, if you do cardio first, the cardio uses up the glycogen stores, forcing your body to burn fat during strength training, but fat is a much slower source of energy than glycogen, hence the poorer performance with weights, as the energy demands are way too high for fat burning alone to keep up with.

So weights first, then cardio. Or always do them on separate days.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    I've been working out for about a month or so now and I'm loving it! My goal is to lose weight and build muscles at the same time.
    However, I hear that it may largely depend upon when you do your cardio. Apparently, cardio after weight-lifting breaks down the muscles you've just stimulated, and cardio before weight-lifting results in fatigue. Therefore, less muscle development!

I'm so confused! I've just cut down on cardio (HIIT)! Too scared to lose muscle, but I also need to lose a few kilograms! I still want to look plump after the weight loss.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle/ -- here's your answer.
    Generally, it's suggested to do weights first, when you're fresh and able keep proper form, then later burn every last bit of energy with cardio. If you tire yourself with cardio first, you'll probably be lifting lighter and poorer, that's the only reason behind advocating cardio post weight. If you're not doing it back to back, but ie. AM cardio, PM weight, then it doesn't matter which order. You're a woman, so you have to do cardio to lose fat, men are luckier and can often get away without. If you don't want to lose muscle while losing fat, make sure that cardio doesn't create too much of a calorie deficit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

Generally, it's suggested to do weights first, when you're fresh and able keep proper form, then later burn every last bit of energy with cardio. If you tire yourself with cardio first, you'll probably be lifting lighter and poorer, that's the only reason behind advocating cardio post weight. If you're not doing it back to back, but ie. AM cardio, PM weight, then it doesn't matter which order. You're a woman, so you have to do cardio to lose fat, men are luckier and can often get away without. If you don't want to lose muscle while losing fat, make sure that cardio doesn't create too much of a calorie deficit.

Huh? I know many women who have lost plenty of fat without cardio.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Cardio AFTER lifting. NEVER before. However, the best time to perform cardio is on an "off day" from lifting

Really? Why is that? I always do my runs before since I'm worried I'll run out of steam on the treadmill if I do it after weights.

NM...just saw other posts that came up :)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    I've actually heard it's better to do cardio after strength. The strength training depletes your glycogen stores allowing you to burn more fat during cardio than stored energy (in the form of glycogen). I find I do my best at cardio if I do it before I lift though. Just a personal preference to me though. And as far as doing the bike before you lift. You should ALWAYS warm up before you lift. So 5 or 10 minutes of cardio before lifting is a good thing to get your muscles loose.
  • Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    This is starting to make oodles of sense! Thanks, gang!
  • SadFaerie

OK, you're right, it largely depends on a starting point. Above 20-22% BF (for women) pretty much anything works. Now I'm at 18-19% and I can starve myself to death before my body gives up on thigh fat. At this point women simply have to do cardio to activate blood flow and stimulate fat loss in stubborn areas.
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    I do my cardio after lifting, mostly because I'm at the gym already and hey, why the heck not, so I jump on the tredmill.
    Like others said, weights need glycogen or you'll have very poor performance (carbs before heading to the gym helps too) and for running you honestly don't need that much.
    In my experience, lifting gives me fat loss. Cardio just gives me more endurance, but it doesn't do anything for my weightloss. With lifting I lost over an inch from my waist in two months. Cardio didn't do that for me.
  • SadFaerie

OK, you're right, it largely depends on a starting point. Above 20-22% BF (for women) pretty much anything works. Now I'm at 18-19% and I can starve myself to death before my body gives up on thigh fat. At this point women simply have to do cardio to activate blood flow and stimulate fat loss in stubborn areas.
    Could you provide a link on that info? I don't quite believe that either...

Lyle McDonald, "Ultimate Diet 2.0".

As it turns out, thyroid levels affect blood flow to fat cells significantly. Low thyroid (which
    is common among women and, I suspect, among genetically average men) decreases blood flow to
    fat cells and normal or even high thyroid levels improve it. Short of using thyroid medication (a
    replacement dose of perhaps 25-100 mcg), there's not much we can do here.
    However, aerobic exercise improves blood flow to fat cells in addition to burning calories, so
    that's a possible solution. Some studies show that exercise can overcome the normally low blood
    flow. Considering their problems with lower bodyfat, this might explain the observation that
    female bodybuilders need to do more cardio than men to get ripped.

EDIT: Mind you, he's talking about cutting to sub normal fat levels. That was my original mistake, assuming that every woman wants to cut to 13%, but... I'm obsessed, cranky and my body is working against me. And I did not have my morning coffee yet.
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Women have to do cardio to increase blood flow to spot reduce fat on difficult areas?

Im open to new ideas and thinking but that is a new one on me :)

..I do 20-25 mins of 1 minute intervals on a bike after heavy lifting and walk or run on off days depending how im feeling (to avoid overtraining) and works great for me. My weight and 5k time are going down and my lifts are going up so for now at least its wins all round :)
  • SadFaerie
    ]Basically you're saying that cardio improves fat loss. Yes, it does, but cardio is not essential to lose fat after you reach a certain body fat%. Deficit of calories is much more essential
    Basically I'm saying that it sucks to be a woman. Try working with a body that will cling to its fat so much that will rather shut down reproductive system. Again: cardio is needed to activate blood flow to stubborn fat areas. In women, that blood flow activates after eating, which is why our fat literally goes straight to our thighs. But in reverse, it's the last one activated during restricting calories. Cardio helps activating it.

Yes, of course, if you restrict your calories for a long long period of time, that fat will go, sooner or later (later, rather, much later, after woman's body cheats her of other useful stuff, like energy and will to live). But also consider the mental factor here and how many people get discouraged hitting plateau.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    I do my cardio after lifting weights, but only a bit of it. I tend to try and alternate lifting and cardio days. I generally do 5 minutes on the stairmaster to warm up, do my weights routine and finish off with about 15 minutes on the cross trainer or rowing machine.

On none gym days I am doing couch to 5k at home on the treadmill so that is just purely cardio which is why I try and spend most of my time in the gym focussing on strength.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    I do cardio in the AM and lift in the PM, problem solved :)