For the Ladies - Obese and Pregnant?

Options
I am currently 250lbs at 5'4. I just found out i am pregnant yesterday, and while I'm really excited, I also know there are a lot of complications with being overweight and pregnant. So ladies (or dudes that were with women who were obese and preg) How did it go for you? Were you able to lose weight while preggers? Did you run into any complications? Tell me your stories please.

Replies

• Katiejo97
    Katiejo97 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I was about that weight when I was pregnant with my son. I was determined to eat healthy while pregnant and actually lost weight when he was born! I think my weight just sort of shifted to him during my pregnancy. My mother in law said that it was important to walk a lot when you are pregnant-she thinks it makes delivery easier. So, my hubbie and I walked, and walked and walked. Towards the end I just walked from one bench in the mall to the next before I had to rest. My pregnancy was very healthy and my son was perfect-oh, and my labor was an easy 30 minutes at the hospital. My doctor had never seen anything like it! Don't worry about your current weight-eat healthy now, exercise as you are able and enjoy your beautiful blessing.
  • fitmom07
    fitmom07 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to eat healthy. Eating healthy and getting your nutrition is going to be what is best for you and baby. I had gestational diabetes and high blood pressure while pregnant with both of my babies. I am 5'3 and I got up to 200 pounds with the first baby, but when I started watching my carb intake, I dropped some of the weight I had gained. I gained 18 pounds with my first baby and lost all of it plus some. I only gained 4 pounds with my second baby and I'm skinnier now than before I got pregnant because of breastfeeding! Definitely talk to your doctor though. Walking and swimming are great exercises while pregnant!
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I was obese for all four or my pregnancies. 200, 250, 270, and 260. I gained a ton of weight with the first, 50+ lbs. But between 13-25 with the others. Never lost much in between. No gestational diabetes, no high blood pressure, nothing. One vaginal, medicated birth, two c-sections, and a completely natural vbac. I did have large babies, however, but I think it was more due to the fact that my hubby was a 10 lb baby. 8.15, 9.14, 9.13, and 8.1. Whew! Congrats on your wonderful news, and you will do great. Just remember that little blip needs a healthy, happy mama!
  • daisycaterpillar
    daisycaterpillar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses! My MIL was also heavy when she was pregnant and my husband was born at a whopping 12lbs or so, so I'm a lil concerned on that part of the news lol. I will walk a lot and eat better than ever, I guess i'm just very nervous because this is my first pregnancy and we've just been trying for so long, I don't want to mess it up by being heavy or losing too much weight or not losing enough or doing enough or something. Yikes.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I was obese when I got pregnant with my son. I'm not sure exactly why I had all the problems I did, but mine didn't go well.

When I got pregnant my bmi was around 33.6 and 6 weeks after my c-section it was 43.9.

First problem that came up: Pregnancy induced hypothyroidism....was put on medicine to regulate thyroid (oddly enough, I don't need it any more)
    Second problem that came up: Gestational Diabetes....went to a dietitian weekly to monitor my food choices, also had to monitor blood sugar at home
    Third/Final problem: Pre-eclampsia.....ended up needing an emergency c-section at 34wks

Now my pregnancy wasn't exactly easy, but even with all the problems, my son was healthy.

4lbs 4oz
    2 week NICU stay (to teach him how to eat and make sure he was gaining weight)

That was my experience and I'm sure what happened to me isn't very common. In terms of my health, I was very unlucky. In terms of my son, I was extremely lucky that he was born healthy.

edit: I should add that between being diagnosed with GD and Pre- E, I was put on bed rest because my blood pressure was starting to get high and the BP meds they had me on didn't seem to be doing anything. So no exercise for me after I want to say 20 wks (maybe 25wks).
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    2 kids, delivered when I was 34 and 36. I have been overweight all my life. Each pregnancy nudged me just over the 300 lb mark.

Healthy kiddos, 8.3 and 8.5 lbs respectively, carried to term, drug free natural births. Pregnancy was really easy for me. I worked till delivery, ate healthy and monitored my blood sugar.

It is possible. :-)

Get a good ob and all the prenatal care you can.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    When I fell pregnant with my first daughter I was 211lbs & not doing any exercise. I ate horrendously with her because I thought "I'm pregnant, I'll eat what ever". I got to 264lbs at the end of the pregnancy. I had high blood pressure complications the week before she was due, got induced, then had to have an emergency c-section.

2nd pregnancy & was 180lbs when I fell pregnant (took me 18mths to lose the weight from 1st bub & still had a long way to go but decided on having another baby before focusing on goal). I exercised with a p/t twice a week & walked everywhere. I had no problems but my bubs ended up being 4 weeks early & I had to have another emergency c-section because baby was distressed. Then I ended up having extremely low blood pressure & a very faint heart beat.

2 girls I worked with who were pregnant the same time as me ended up with Gestational diabetes & they were both skinny! Both ended up having complicated pregnancies. Everyone is different. Just try to stay healthy & don't focus too much on losing weight as much as just maintaining enough food for you & bubs. There will be plenty of time to work it off afterwards.

AND CONGRATULATIONS :flowerforyou:
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever been really overweight but I was underweight when I fell pregnant with my daughter. I had a lot of issues with both my pregnancies (I was a healthy weight with my son) my issues were mostly because my body doesn't handle pregnancy well. But I think no matter what end of the weight spectrum you are on the most important things when you are pregnant are eating healthy and doing light excersise and stretching. I assume you won't be actively trying to loose weight while pregnant? I am no on but that seems like a bad idea, on a side note I had a few friends who were at varying degrees of over weight when they fell pregnant, and some of them randomly dropped a bunch of weight. I would also recommend walking all the time, i think it really helps, I don't have anything to cite it is just a feeling I have from experience. I feel like adding my first birth was totally natural and drug free and my second I had a pethadin shot after 26 hours because I stopped progressing and needed rest. (I just like talking about birth) best of luck with your pregnancy and birth!
  • daisycaterpillar
    Options
    I haven't ever been really overweight but I was underweight when I fell pregnant with my daughter. I had a lot of issues with both my pregnancies (I was a healthy weight with my son) my issues were mostly because my body doesn't handle pregnancy well. But I think no matter what end of the weight spectrum you are on the most important things when you are pregnant are eating healthy and doing light excersise and stretching. I assume you won't be actively trying to loose weight while pregnant? I am no on but that seems like a bad idea, on a side note I had a few friends who were at varying degrees of over weight when they fell pregnant, and some of them randomly dropped a bunch of weight. I would also recommend walking all the time, i think it really helps, I don't have anything to cite it is just a feeling I have from experience. I feel like adding my first birth was totally natural and drug free and my second I had a pethadin shot after 26 hours because I stopped progressing and needed rest. (I just like talking about birth) best of luck with your pregnancy and birth!

I def don't plan of actively trying to lose weight unless my doctor advises me to, but I doubt that. I do plan to walk basically everywhere. Thank you and everyone else for the wishes and lucks!
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was about 224lbs when I got pregnant with my daughter. I went from living on cigarettes, diet coke and one meal a day to eating 3 meals a day and quit smoking. Tried to eat well but I did indulge a bit too much in chocolate and crisps! Pregnancy was totally fine. No complications. Worked 40hrs a week up until 36 weeks. Daughter was induced 12 days late, 8 hour labour (1.5hrs of which was pushing) with gas and air and no complications and arrived weighing 8lb 14oz. I never paid attention to my weight when I got weighed at appointments so dont know what I weighed during pregnancy, but I weighed myself about 2 weeks after delivery and I was around 217lbs! So pregnancy made me lose weight somehow!
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was 240lbs when I fell pregant. I had lost about 20 lbs before falling pregnant. Pregnancy was all quite straight forward, although my blood pressure was rising in the last 6 weeks, so I was induced a week early (I'd never had any problem with blood pressure before then).

I tried to watch my food whilst pregant and although I didn't weight myself near the end of the pregnancy, I didn't gain that much. I did however gain after the birth to around 5 months later (ending up about 288lbs) and then I started watching what I ate again. I was just tired and lazy, so watch out for these months after your little one arrives.

Congrats too :flowerforyou:
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I weighed 269 when I unexpectedly got pregnant with my son. I was very concerned about all of the complications and horror stories that you hear about with overweight pregnancies. I tried to keep my food in check and drank lots of water. I gained 19 lbs and my son was 8lbs 14ozs of that. I had zero complications. My feet started swelling some at 34-35 weeks, BP crept up but didn't go over 130/80. Had a perfect pregnancy and perfect, natural delivery. Congrats to you!
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    Congrats on the baby!
    I'm not in the same position but my friend was, she had a healthy baby and lost a little weight. She told me that when you are pregnant, don't try to focus on "lose weight", but focus on "eat healthy" for you and the baby.
    She also swims, so mild exercise is recommended.

good luck!

edit: typo
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was probably around 240 when I got pregnant. I made a point to eat healthy and do light exercise, and I lost more weight than I gained once I delivered. I was 269 the day I went to deliver, and within a few weeks I was down to 220 or so. Perfectly healthy 10lb. 10oz. baby girl, but I had scary high blood pressure my whole pregnancy. No diabetes or anything like that though. Good luck!
  • redbychoice
    Options
    I am so very happy for you both! I would say most important is to listen to dr. :)
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the bundle of joy!

I had 3 overweight/obese pregnancies and 2 of them were perfectly normal, healthy with no real complications (2nd ended in emergency c section because after my water broke, my fat baby was leaning on his cord, scaring us half to death when his heart tracing became erratic)
    gave birth to healthy girl and boy, 7lbs and 8lbs 9ozs respectively.

when I got pregnant with my 3rd child, I was teetering between 270-280lbs (im 5'7") and it was a nightmare.
    blood pressure shot up immediately (by 7wks, I was 140-90 and it never got lower)
    I spent the first 3 months on light duty bed rest (out of work). by the 4th month I started contracting. more bedrest. blood pressure hardly controlled by aggressive meds and bedrest.

back to work for about a month. did my glucose test early, disagnosed with gestational diabetes. strict diet. blood pressure shot up again. more bedrest. hospitalized twice due to contractions and blood pressure issues, was given steroid shots for the baby's lungs.

they gave me all sorts of terrible predictions: the baby would come early, baby might die in utero, baby wouldnt go home with me from the hospital, dont get attached to the baby/pregnancy
    It. was. a. nightmare.

Blood pressure shot up a final time at 35 weeks to 190/100 and I was sent to the hospital and at that point, I was in labor, dilating and having steady contractions. My doctor literally said "lets stop fighting him, he wants out".

23hrs later and another c-section later, I was holding my 7lb perfectly healthy baby boy.

He is almost 3 and perfectly fine in every way. An hour after delivery my blood pressure was normal and my sugar was perfect. Never had any other issues with blood sugar or blood pressure again.

every pregnancy is different. I've 3 of them while severely overweight and i believe that my baby son just wanted to make sure that he was going to remain the youngest by giving me so much trouble lol

with my 1st 2 pregnancies, I worked, bowled, shopped and did whatever I wanted up until I gave birth. With my daughter, I bowled and went to see a scary movie while in labor. I figured I didnt want to sit in the hospital all day and I would know when the pain was too bad to sit at home!

just follow your doctor's instructions, take care of yourself and you will be fine.

congrats again!
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The first time I was pregnant I was just overweight,I'm 5'2 and was around 140 then.I got a little carried away with the eating for two thing and drank sodas all day long.I ended up weighing in at 190 by the end of my pregnancy,I felt horrible,had problems with anemia,blood pressure,was borderline diabetic as well.I was hospitalized because they were afraid I was in danger from preemclampsia(I'm sure I spelled that wrong).I was then put on bed rest for the remaining weeks of my pregnancy.I ended up being induced 2 and a half weeks early due to the blood pressure problems
    I was in labor for about 12 hours and had to be put on medication to bring my blood pressure down afterwards.I thought I would lose all this weight from baby and everything else lol.Baby was barely 6 pounds and I only lost about 4 pounds in addition to that.

Second baby I weighed around 181 when first found out.I decided to completely cut out sodas and I got some exercise at work.I got sick with the stomach flu twice,got put in the hospital the second time.I lost alot of weight from that and from not drinking sodas...I don't recommend the stomach flu by the way lol. Anyway...I ended up weighing 1 pound less than what I started out with and ten pounds lighter after the baby came.She was small too 5 pounds 11 ounces. Oh,and I had no blood pressure issues this time around.

Congrats! Hope you have a happy healthy pregnancy :)

My doctor didn't have a problem with me losing weight and said it was actually good because I was obese to start out with.She said as long as I was eating healthy and taking my vitamins etc...it was ok to lose some weight.She was a little worried that my munchkin was small according to the ultrasounds but she just concluded that I have small babies.
  • returnofwhiterabbit
    Options
    Congratulations on your baby news!!!

I was over weight when I was pregnant with my son - I discussed it with my Doctor and midwives who didnt seem to think i'd face too many complications but were very keen to make sure didn't "eat for two" there was no need in my case.

The hardest part I found came when i was in hospital giving birth because of my weight they found it hard to track the babys heart rate and my contractions using the tracers that go round your tummy etc so in the end they had to use an internal one to tack my son!
  • daisycaterpillar
    Options
    Congratulations on your baby news!!!

I was over weight when I was pregnant with my son - I discussed it with my Doctor and midwives who didnt seem to think i'd face too many complications but were very keen to make sure didn't "eat for two" there was no need in my case.

The hardest part I found came when i was in hospital giving birth because of my weight they found it hard to track the babys heart rate and my contractions using the tracers that go round your tummy etc so in the end they had to use an internal one to tack my son!

I think my mom had one of those internal tracers when she had me. Did that hurt? She said hers hurt worse than the labor!