Ultimate Nightmare

Options
For me, my ultimate nightmare is the all-you-can-eat buffet! I find it really hard to keep control around so much food! Haha! In fact, eating out in general is pretty challenging for me...Not knowing exactly what has gone into my food. At least when I cook at home I know exactly what I'm eating! How do you guys cope with eating out?

Replies

• swittlake
    Options
    When eating out I always try to pull up their menu before hand to figure out what i want to eat and how many calories it has in it. If we are out and i dont have time to pull up prior I will try to use my phone to look it up. If they do not have nutritional information i go with a grilled chicken, veggies as long as they are not sauteed, or a salad minus all the fattening stuff they put onto it.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My weakness is the Hibachi grills. I tend to overeat a lot when I go to those places.

I've found, though, if you pre-log what you are going to eat before you go, it usually sets up a nice guideline for you to follow. Only allow yourself to eat what you have already logged. If you go to a buffet, look at what they have, but look it up and log it BEFORE you get it from the buffet. That way you will be conscious of exactly what you are eating and can limit yourself on what and how much of something to eat.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I go in face first.

tumblr_motrv4fHCV1qktr01o1_400.gif
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of going out to eat, much to my husband's dismay. I just don't like not knowing what went in to my food, as OP said. At home when I cook, I use minimal butter/oil, salt, etc. But, when I do go out, I will admit I usually won't log it. I just try to order something grilled, that's not heavily sauced, and pair it with a plain baked potato or steamed veggies. And try to avoid raiding the bread basket!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I think I'd avoid all you can eat buffets for a start!! The concept just doesn't fit with a weight LOSS diet. Other eating out - I usually have a dessert & skip the starter. It's just once in a blue moon for me, so I have what I want without going mental, avoiding fried stuff.
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    fear of not being able to log it correctly should not give you anxiety to the point you cant enjoy eating out

my Buffet strategy (at lest for Golden Corral)

I build the plates like i normally would small portions al ot of veggies (1/2 plate veggie 1/4 starch 1/4 protein) except the first plate a big salad that is heavy on the greens light on the dressing to basically try to fill me up a bit before i get to the bad stuff though i must have atlest 1 or 2 yeast rolls while i am there they are to good to pass up
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I hate all-you-can-eat too! Your eyes are always bigger than your belly and you feel so ill afterwards..
    Luckily most of my friends don't really go for them either. When we go out to eat I'll pre-plan what I'm going to order (look up the menu online, find it on the food database). A lot of restaurants now list the nutritional values of their meals online, so I can fit one to my macro needs and not feel guilty at all!