Low Calorie Meal ideas please?...using real food :o)

Options
Ashleymarie88
Ashleymarie88 Posts: 17 Member
Hi

I'm looking for some low calorie meal ideas that me and my fiance can enjoy. I don't like eating products that are processed or say "low fat", "fat free" or have fake sugars. Low fat products are filled with extra sugar and its better to just eat the real deal in my experience. With all that said anybody have any yummy recipes that contain clean fresh food but still low cal :)

I'm lacking in creativity this week...

Replies

• alexthebb
    Options
    When I cut, I usually eat these meals:

4 oz. Tilapia(100 cal, 20g protein) pan-fried in 1 tbsp. olive oil(119 cal, HEALTHY fats) WITH 1/2-1 cup brown rice(100 cals for 1/2 cup, 200 for whole) and a side of veggies of your choice (>50 cals)

Ground chicken/turkey tacos, with a whole wheat wrap and a side of beans.

Any cut of lean steak 4-6 ounces(200-300 cals), a sweet potato (200 cals for a large), and more veggies!

And get plain greek yogurt with berries mixed in for dessert (1 cup yogurt = 130 cals, 24 grams protein)

Or you could put together a stir fry and some rice lol.
  • Ashleymarie88
    Ashleymarie88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes. I see a lot of recipes that include a lot of fat free or sugar free items and i would rather have food that hasn't been modified. But coming up with interesting meals can get hard after a while. thanks
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    what alexthebb said, plus:

tilapia is great, but Swai is cheaper and just as good IMO. low in calories, low in fat, high in protein. Make it any way you like.

brussels sprouts, cut in half, and lightly brushed with olive oil and a bit of minced or chopped garlic, then oven roasted till dark brown. adjust to taste - fantastic! (and I always hated brussels sprouts)

egg white omelets are also a nice treat. I usually use 4-5 eggs, but only one yolk (sometimes no yolks), a tablespoon or so of shredded cheese, and some chunky salsa. Sometimes I add in fresh mushrooms and onions. You can add in lean ground meat for more protein. Turkey works best for me, but some nice 96/4 beef, browned and drained prior to putting in the omelet is great for iron and other nutrients.

Broccoli! awesome source of fiber and very filling while being low-cal. Of course this is true for lots of veggies... but broccoli is my favorite.

one last thing that I use, mainly as a treat: fry up 3-4 slices of low sodium turkey bacon and chop it up. Saute some onions and mushrooms in a very small amount of olive oil (it takes only a teaspoon or so) in a large frying pan that has a cover, then add in the chopped turkey bacon and a heap of fresh spinach. like, enough spinach to fill the whole pan - it will cook down a /lot/. reduce to low heat and cover until the spinach wilts. great as a side dish or even as a meal. The way I do it, it works out to about a 1 cup serving that contains less than 200 calories but a ton of flavor and some great fiber and protein.
  • jcheek25
    Options
    I agree about the real food thing...I always try to cook with pure, fresh ingredients, and it's definitely possible to still make relatively low-calorie meals!

One of my favorite things to make are quiches...sooo many options, and you can leave out the crust if you want to save on calories. This tomato mozzarella quiche is one of my favorites: http://thebaguettediet.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/tomato-mozzarella-quiche/

Once you have the egg/milk (or cream) base, you can add basically any veggies or meats, so there's plenty of room for creativity. You could even use only egg whites like joshdann mentioned for omelets. Also, quiches are pretty inexpensive to make compared to other protein-rich meals.

Hope this helps! :)
  • RacquelLuntz
    Options
    One of my absolute favourite dinners is grilled vegetables with Teriyaki Sauce and Baby Spinach.

For two people, you'd need:
    - 3 small carrots, cut to the size of matches
    - 2 small red Capsicums/Bell Peppers, cut into strips
    - 12 Snow Peas/Mange Tout, halved
    - 6 Button Mushrooms, sliced
    - 4 cups of Baby Spinach
    - 2 tbs Teriyaki Sauce

all you need to do is heat up a fry pan, toss in the vegetables. Once the Mushrooms turn Brown-ish, add in the Teriyaki Sauce and keep an eye on them for a couple of minutes. Once they're cooked, serve on the Spinach!

per serving, it is 149 calories, 29g carbs, 0g fat, 8g of Protein, 833mg of Sodium (coming form the Teriyaki Sauce I use), and 10g of calcium.

The best part about this is that it's super versatile, and you can change Vegetables to suit your needs. You could also add some cooked Quinoa and make it a salad, and the best protein I could think of adding to suit the taste would be Chicken breast. Good luck! :)
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Low calorie high protein less sodium is exactly what I been looking
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My current evening dinner:

Giant Foods - Garlic (Fresh), 1 cloves
    Tesco - Caramelised Red Onion Relish, 15 g
    Tesco - Cous Cous (Uncooked), 40 g 109
    Squash - Butternut, cooked, baked, without salt, 160 g
    Asda Butcher Selection - Lamb Leg Steak, 140 g grilled
    Levi Roots' Reggae Reggae Jerk/Bbq Sauce - Marinade Sauce, 10 g

Total of 498 calories, and delicious :)
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I also want low calorie with real food. I do turkey burger or backed chicken and a vegetable or salad. I Al's have gotten hooked on a baked potato with reduced sodium cheese and broccoli. My husbands like them too.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thaw a huge handfull of frozen shrimp. then make some cocktail saice with ketchup & horseradish. mix it together in a bowl & eat with some sliced cucumbers & a spinich salad with tomatoes on the vine.
    ENJOY & bon appitite!! :flowerforyou: