Diarhhea eating

Options
What are you supposed to eat when having diarhhea attacks. I have IBS, it is caused by stress at the beginning of July. I constatly experienced it every third day with contisipation inbetween. I didn't think it was serious and actually didn't think it was diarhhea so i didn't visit a doctor nor whatched what i ate. I have been pigging out on bread, butter and salt all day long and thought the cause of the cravings was my too strict diet and too little fa so i gave in the cravings and thought my body needed it.When i experience a dirahhea i literally consumed 5000 calories per day and most of it was butter and bread( with a bunch ofsalt on it). Probably salt because my body was signaling it needed water. However i went to the doctor's office after realising yhere is a problem and am diagnosed with IBS but he didn't tell me is there any food i can eat to calm the diarhhea and what to avoid to not make it worse, because frankly i am sick of overeating and i am always bloated and in pain the next day but still feel the need for nutrients and mainy fats,carbs and salt. Is there any food that help my diarhhea and what am i supposed to avoid? I had oatmeal with cheese for breakfast since i thought it was going to help but honestly i have no clue. So does anyone know what will help my diarhhea go and what am i supposed t avoid. I am pretty sure butter and bread should be avoided so i am trying to resist the cravings as much as i can but i usually have a major binge on those at night so i need help what to eat that'll calm my cravings(once they hit hard) and help diarhhea pass and perhps there is some food that'll make it go away?

Replies

• MelClaire2000
    Options
    One thing you might consider is cutting out HFCS from your diet. High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is a sugar substitute/preservative used widely in the US...so much so that its in almost everything from things you might expect like sodas to things you might be amazed at such as bread! BREAD! It means checking ingredients labels and can be a pain but many brands are starting to advertise NO HFCS on their packaging if they eliminate it and you can usually find a substitute in the grocery store for everything that doesnt have HFCS' in it (they usually use sugar instead for sweet things, or imagine this...bread without added sugars!) I found that when I started checking labels and cutting out HFCS my "habits"so to speak were much MUCH better. I'd generally only have problems when I went out to eat, where I couldnt control whether or not what was served had HFCS' in it. When I moved to the UK where they don't add HFCS' to the food...magically I was well again! I know several other people with similar experiences. May or may not work for you but its worth a try!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well as a parent I know the pediatrician always recommends the BRAT diet:

Bananas
    Rice
    Apples (fruit, but not juice alone)
    Toast

Obviously not a well rounded diet. Then of course there's always peaches. But they can't be just any peaches. they have to be...

<wait for it>

cling peaches... :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The peaches answer is a joke, but the BRAT diet is a legit answer.
  • claudialenz711
    Options
    Hmmm.... I'm neither a doctor nor dietician .... But ... Since IBS is after all about irritable bowels the best Tip I can give is to experiment with different foods and see which ones are your triggers (not everyone's IBS is the same) and stick to those you can tolerate. And since diarrhoea flushes out a lot of good Bacteria and allows for the perfect environment of the bad ones ... It won't do you any harm to supplement with good life bacteria like acidophilus. Also foods like ginger (natural intiinflammatories) can be beneficial to calm your GI tract down. Def go easy on starchy and sugary foods (drinks) to calm down the irritation of your intestinal lining. hope this helps.
  • Majda1234_wechange
    Majda1234_wechange Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ok, thank you for the tips. I will try that. I read somewhere you should aoid whole grain products, why on earth is that? White rice and white bread are suggested. Jesus and they literally say no whole grain and no fats and i was eating whole grain bread with butter for entire month, even my body fat % went so much higher in just a month because i was eating half kg of butter per day, no wonder why the diarhhea continued for so long. So at least i have an idea what to make for lunch :/
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Bananas
    Rice
    Toast

Obviously not a well rounded diet. Then of course there's always peaches. But they can't be just any peaches. they have to be...

<wait for it>

This.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I would have worded the title differently! Ewwww!
  • Majda1234_wechange
    Options
    Hahahahha i just noticed. Yeah, sorry for that :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Bananas
    Rice
    Toast

<wait for it>

I was going to suggest the BRAT diet

and I agree @ wording the title differently :sick:

re IBS.... in addition to considering what to eat when having attacks of this, it might be a good idea to keep a food and emotions diary and see if you can find out what triggers it. It could be a food allergy or intolerance, it could be stress or anxiety... that's why the diary may help. When you know what the triggers are, it might be easier to deal with. Don't just go by what people on the internet say to cut out of your diet... keep a diary and find out what's actually triggering it. It's not always food related.

re no wholegrain - this depends on what you're allergic or intolerant to... if you're allergic or intolerant to gluten, then avoiding all gluten is essential........... if you're not then avoiding all wholegrains is overkill.

re no fat - definitely don't cut out all fat from your diet!! it's an essential nutrient and you become malnourished without it!!

Also, if you haven't been investigated by a doctor, go see one as these symptoms may come from a serious medical issue. Doctors won't diagnose IBS without ruling out a bunch of other serious issues first. It's one of those things that's a bad idea to self diagnose... even if most people who self diagnose turn out to be right. These symptoms do need to be checked by a doctor to rule out serious medical issues.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

this^....this is by far the worst title ever folllowed by the mentrual cup

d63siGg.gif
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    BRAT diet: A is for applesauce not apple. It is supposed to be soft liquids, not solids or plain apple juice

There is also the CRAM diet (cereal, rice, apple sauce, and milk)

Bananas, and the water where you boiled the rice is also supposed to be good, as well as sports drinks.

It is not white bread, it is toast which means that the moisture from the bread is removed. You crave salt because you are dehydrating and losing electrolytes.
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Eat plain yogurt. (Fat-free, low-fat...?)
    Perhaps with grated apple in it, though the apple might turn browny-mushy if you tally too long before eating it.
    Ginger works for motion sickness, so ginger could be a good idea, too. There are ginger chewy candies on the market.
    Try to avoid anything that can trigger the IBS - you should know which foods these are...
  • Majda1234_wechange
    Options
    I am not sure if those cravings are actually symptoms of IBS, perhaps my diet really wa to strict and i did need some fat in it. Maybe it is a mixture of both. But the hunger is extreme, literally as if i have been starving for days and i just had lunch. I am really not stressed out so i have no idea why this is happening but i hate that i cannot determinate weather it is the diet or the diarhhea that is causing the cravings. Although they do always happen durring diarhhea perhaps i therefore "allow" and comfort myself it is okay to stuff and overeat after diarhhea. I am not really sure. But i will follow that eating plan, thank you for the advice.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    BRAT diet: A is for applesauce not apple. It is supposed to be soft liquids, not solids or plain apple juice
    Our ped said apples were fine though truly natural apple sauce was best. But a lot of the popular brands use apple juice concentrate so you end up with the juice of two apples and the pulp of one and whole apples are better than those brands. But they can still claim to be natural, made only from apples (it's true and IIFYM and you don't have digestive issues, they taste better).