Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

GPS Walk/Run Apps

I use an app called MapMyRun and according to it walking 0.82 miles in 15 minutes and 47 seconds at an average speed of 3.1 mph burned a total of 113 calories.

That just seems too good to be true. The app does ask for your weight and height and gender which makes me think it might be a tiny bit accurate, but burning 113 calories just can't be as simple as walking for almost 16 minutes. Don't get me wrong, there were hills and whatnot, but still!

What GPS app do you use? I kind of want to try other ones out and see if this one is screwy.

Replies

• cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    I use Endomondo which does link to MFP.

I use it for tracking my running and riding and as I also wear a Heart rate monitor I can see that they both give me the same approximate calories burned figure.

I would be looking at 100 cal per mile for walking - I am 5ft11 and 13st3 (was 15st7 a few months back..so I might have to change my details actually)

Edit for terrible typing skills...
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    there is another active discussion on this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068715-apps-that-record-mileage-for-your-runs

I am another Endomondo user and I am happy with it.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    there is another active discussion on this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068715-apps-that-record-mileage-for-your-runs

I am another Endomondo user and I am happy with it.

Awesome, thanks. :smile:
  • sgha58
    sgha58 Posts: 22 Member
    I, too, tried MapMyRun and found it to say I did better than I really did. I also tried a couple other apps with the same results. Then I tried the RunKeeper app, which also hooks up to MFP. On a bike ride was right on with my Garmin Forerunner and bike computer. I assume it will be as accurate when on a walk. It talks to you, too. I can even hear it from my pocket. As you can tell, tracking keeps me focused. Good luck. :happy:
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    I was using a free Pedometer app on my iPhone 5. It works fairly well and seems to be accurate but it really sucks up the battery power. How about Endomondo? (I'm a walker, not a runner, if that makes any difference.)