I know it sound gross but......

Options
Okay so it's friday and I know this is TMI but one of my friends has been banging on about colonic hydrotherapy which I have always just thought was gross end of discussion...... BUT I was reading an article about how much it helps ect and now am considering maybe trying a session?? I am a bit scared though and have no idea what to expect and not sure if I will go through with it so I thought I would ask my MFP buddies what you all think. Has any one had one? Is it a good idea? Any negative experiences? Feel free to PM me....... sorry if this offends anyone, am genuinely curious as to whether it is effective.

Replies

• bakeralison1
    bakeralison1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    One of my friends had it last month. She said you could see what went out in the tube and it sounded a little uncomfortable. She was doing it to balance her yeast level she said and I have no idea what that means or what else it does.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it but I know there is no scientific evidence whatsever that supports the claims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_cleansing :
    "The symptoms that are attributed to auto-intoxication—headache, fatigue, loss of appetite and irritability—are actually caused by mechanical distention within the bowel, such as irritable bowel syndrome, rather than toxins from putrefying food.[5][7][12] The benefits anecdotally attributed to colon cleansing are vague and the claims made by manufacturers and practitioners are based on a flawed understanding of the body.[9][13] There is little evidence of actual benefit to the procedure, and no evidence that it can alleviate the symptoms that are attributed to the theories of colon cleansing."

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon-Hydro-Therapie :
    "The only thing that has ben scientifically proven with this method is that it will empty the colon. There is no generally accepted scientific evidence that any diseases are influenced by this method.

In no case so far could it be medically shown that even prolonged chronic constipation causes any auto-intoxication of the body.
    The gut microflora always regenerates itself. On the contrary, if any additives are added to the colon rinse water, this can irritate the gut bacteria temporarily which really causes the opposite of the desired effect. There are medical practitioners who consider regular colon cleanses as harmful.
    It is not proven that colon cleanses train the gut muscles."
  • MissEStrange22
    Options
    I was considering it, but learned it can be a little dangerous/ not good for you because it can remove a lot of the bodies natural minerals and vitamins and body goodness in general.

I would say, if you're feeling backed up, try a mild laxative and plenty of water, that would probably do a similar but less aggresive job...but obviously don't overdo it on the laxatives and take as the box says and that medical safteyness :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Totally bulltwaddle. Eat some veggies/fruit.. go poo and drink some water too. Sorted.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    All I can see it doing is damaging the enyzmes and bacteria in your gut that you need for digestion.

But hey if a hose up your *kitten* is your thing, go for it.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary and quite frankly the idea of basically jet washing your colon sounds dangerous to me (and uncomfortable).

If you are feeling bloated, just eat plenty of fibre, drink plenty of water and let your body do it's own thing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary, the gut keeps itself clean if you eat a reasonably healthy diet... you need enough fibre and enough water to keep everything moving through your intestines effectively. Fibre without enough water will make things worse, and the most common cause of constipation is mild dehydration, in fact it's usually the first dehydration symptom to appear. Water is also important so the kidneys can do their job of filtering waste out of your blood efficiently. So the main thing you need to do to "cleanse" your system is to drink water, and let your internal organs do their job. Ensuring you're properly nourished, i.e. enough protein, vitamins, minerals, etc, will help to ensure your internal organs are functioning well. There's no need to give them any help, unless you have a medical issue, in which case it'd be done by a doctor, e.g. dialysis if your kidneys fail.

However did we evolve if our intestines and other organs couldn't keep themselves in working order?
  • amylouize2012
    amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys, really good to get views.

Not feeling bloated or anything just heard it was meant to be a very healthy thing to do.

@iornanimal - hose up teh butt definitely not my thing haha!! Firm believe that this is an exit only!!

Sounds quite embarassing and uncomfortable and I have always said it is DISGUSTING, just that I had
    someone trying to persuade me and wanted to get the facts.

@mockchoc - I think you have the right idea x
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I think it is good.
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    I must google the risks, you always get such conflicting info on line though, that's why I was
    hoping people on here had tried it, guess it's not really something people wanna discuss too
    much though :tongue:
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    I think it is good.

Does it help you loose weight? or is it just for people who are feeling bloated/backed up?
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    your body will excrete what it needs to excrete. plenty of soluble fibre and lots of water and it will do the job quite nicely by itself. Also there is a layer of mucus in your excretory tract that i presume would be washed away by unnatural irrigation. just a thought....
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It can be dangerous. At the very least somewhat useless. Unless you have had portions of your colon removed or another health issue along the lines your body should have everything it needs to cleanse itself.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific evidence that it does anything helpful at all.
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Options
    It's a waste of tim,e money and coffee.

Trust me.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Only weight you'll lose is from having a completely empty colon and lower intestine. I think a routine colonoscopy is more medically beneficial and still achieve the same thing. Just with that you're drinking a big dose of laxative the night before to clear everything out. Those are usually only recommended as part of your preventative care screening once you turn 50 though unless you have a family history of polyps.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    heard it's great!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    At best you're ruining your bowel's ability to operate (unless removing good bacteria necessary for digestion from your body is considered a good idea). At worst, you'll end up dead through a perforated bowel.

I'd only get one if a colorectal surgeon advised me to do it.
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    Have never taken a laxative before and don't suffer with any conditions or anything like that....... But I used to swallow gum when I was a kid haha

This is the info from the clinic my friend used but I think there is an exaggeration, she reckons she lost 9lbs and never gained it back, dunno how true that is either:

Colon Hydrotherapy
    A healthy colon functions to conserve water in the body and to help eliminate waste and toxins. An average person can hold up to 10-25lbs of dried fecal matter in his/her colon.

Someone who is overweight or suffers from an allergy may store even more. Different indications including the following can be signs of an unhealthy colon:

•Constipation
    •IBS (Irrital Bowel Syndrome)
    •Bloating
    •Flatulance
    •Diarrhoea
    •Headaches
    •Poor sleep
    •Fatigue and many more symptoms

Colon hydrotherapy is a safe and natural procedure involving warm sterilized water which goes through both a filter system and UV light flushed into the colon to help soften and break down the waste which is stuck onto the walls of the colon and eliminate it from the body. This is done without the use of chemicals, drugs or herbs of any form.

Due to ingredients in today's diet; refined processed and artificial foods, high in saturated fats and low in natural fiber can form this waste inside the colon which can be there for years.

Colon hydrotherapy eliminates the toxins from the body, helps restore the pH balance and helps stimulate the digestive system. Many of our clients have found that with the help of colon hydrotherapy their quality of life has vastly improved.

Our therapists are members of RICTAT (International Association and Register of Integrative Colon Therapists and Trainers). Our therapist is also a qualified acupuncturist and is a member of the AFPA (Acupuncture Foundation Professional Association). Having completed her studies in Acupuncture, she then went to China to do her clinical training in Shanghai Sixth Hospital and then pursued further studies in the US for colon hydrotherapy.