I'm a vegetarian but need more protein. HELP!

Options

Replies

• lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    First, my fitness pal overestimates protein requirements. You only need 11-12% but if you are really active 13% will do you. For example an 1800 calorie diet would require 50-60g of protein. Requirements may vary slightly due to age and sex. MyFitnessPal suggests 68g for inactive 1800 calorie diet, for comparison.

My food suggestions:
    LENTILS! (and other legumes) Try adding beans to soups, salads, making burgers/meatless neatballs with them.
    NUTS! If you eat oatmeal, add some walnut pieces. They go great with maple and banana! Have almonds for a snack!
    LEAFY GREENS have a high percent protein! Threy are low in calories so you need eat a lot. Spinach and arugula are excellent salad greens. Eat a bigger salad with more greens!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds have about 4g protein per serving, just a lil extra something to add to salads!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    First, my fitness pal overestimates protein requirements. You only need 11-12% but if you are really active 13% will do you. For example an 1800 calorie diet would require 50-60g of protein. Requirements may vary slightly due to age and sex. MyFitnessPal suggests 68g for inactive 1800 calorie diet, for comparison.

My food suggestions:
    LENTILS! (and other legumes) Try adding beans to soups, salads, making burgers/meatless neatballs with them.
    NUTS! If you eat oatmeal, add some walnut pieces. They go great with maple and banana! Have almonds for a snack!
    LEAFY GREENS have a high percent protein! Threy are low in calories so you need eat a lot. Spinach and arugula are excellent salad greens. Eat a bigger salad with more greens!

MFP UNDERestimates protein. For the OP's goals 13% is nowhere near enough. The general recommendation is 1g protein per 1 pound of lean body mass.
  • ionella24
    ionella24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try lentils, they are a great source of protein and they are delicious as well!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Protein requirements for normal people are 1 gram per 1 kg body mass (not one pound). Heavy lifters and exercisers may need 1.2 to 1.4 grams per kilogram (1 kg = 2.2 lbs).

You need healthy kidneys and lots of fluid if you are consistently over your protein requirements. The poster stating 1 gram per pound is wrong.

My food suggestions:

MFP UNDERestimates protein. For the OP's goals 13% is nowhere near enough. The general recommendation is 1g protein per 1 pound of lean body mass.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Cheese and eggs! (And egg whites.)
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You don't eat fish either do you?
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

My food suggestions:

This. OP is lifting weights, then 1.0 grams of protein for each pound of body mass is suggested.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

My food suggestions:

Where are you getting these recommendations from because based on all the research around, they actually underestimate for the majority,
  • Ask your boyfriend!
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    What most people mean by "protein" is the essential amino acids that help the body function. Some of them our body produces, some our body needs from the outside. If you eat a green smoothie each day and cooked beans 3-4 times a week, you're fine. We need to focus less on protein and more on veggies and fruits. Go to YouTube and search for raw food athletes - you will be AMAZED what a vegan diet can do for hte human body.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^For endurance athletes I agree, but this might not be the OPs original goal. She said she wants to add muscle. Guys like Scott Jurek excel on a lower protein all plant diet.

If you want to gain muscle mass, at some point you will have to increase your protein intake. I eat leafy greens five times a week, but the volume you'd have to eat for their protein content to matter is problematic.

I try to eat 1g/protein per my TARGET bodyweight. So if I'm good that hovers around 230-240 grams of protein per day.

If you aren't vegan and aren't allergic, eggs are a fantastic source of easily digestable protein.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of meat so I eat protein bars for breakfast.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame - 14g of protein per 30g (about 1/4 cup), and 7g fiber to boot.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Apart from my friend who is a bodybuilder I have never seen such an obsession with protein until I joined MFP. I don't really concentrate on it myself but here are what I eat for protein:

greek yoghurt
    cottage cheese
    nuts and lentils
    tofu
    quorn burgers and sausages
    quorn chicken style pieces
    soya mince or quorn mince
    Homemade seitan sausages

I think seitan is one of the highest protein things I have found and it's quite tasty.
  • srikrishnak
    Options
    I am a vegetarian too and my staple for protein is Chick Peas.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup of unsweetened, natural pumpkin puree
    1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice (or cinnamon)
    1/2 cup egg beaters OR 2 egg whites and 1 whole
    1 scoop of Whatever Protein Powder You Use

Blend all ingredients, and cook on medium heat! Yum!

Protein Pumpkin Pancakes!
  • jlnmonkey
    Options
    Tempeh: 41 g of protein/cup, plus it's fermented soy, which is full of probiotics.
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Go lift heavy things if you want to put on real muscle. More protein really does diddly squat except inflame them because it spikes insulin levels. It won't give you real functional muscle, just the appearance of it. And it's not particularly healthy either (nor is dairy or eggs). I guess if you don't care about your health and are just in it for aesthetics, eat more protein at least from plant sources like sunwarrior protein in a shake or something. Wouldn't recommend that though.

Hold. The. Phone.

Don't listen to any of this silliness. I am a vegan and all of the above is a load of ridiculous.

If you feel like you need more protein, tempeh is a REALLY good source and doesn't wreak havoc on your tummy like some other unfermented soy products. True Nutrition will also custom blend protein shakes for you - I recommend 70% Gemma Pea Protein/30% rice protein. It's surprisingly affordable.

I am a HUGE fan of fake meat because I have no worry about sodium (blood pressure is way too low as it is) and I still have fond memories of meat even though I no longer eat it. Tofurky Italian sausages are DELICIOUS and have 29g of protein.

Again... Don't listen to this nonsense. ALL FOOD CAUSES AN INSULIN SPIKE. Protein IS required - but many of us plant based people don't feel compelled to eat as much as omnis. If you're strength training 100g a day for a woman should be totally fine. I routinely hit 75-90g of protein without protein shakes (and my calorie goal is about 1500)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup of unsweetened, natural pumpkin puree
    1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice (or cinnamon)
    1/2 cup egg beaters OR 2 egg whites and 1 whole
    1 scoop of Whatever Protein Powder You Use

Blend all ingredients, and cook on medium heat! Yum!

Protein Pumpkin Pancakes!

Those sound scrumptious - thanks for the recipe.