SWEET TOOTH HELP

Options
Hi everyone! So i have the biggest sweet tooth, like if something sweet is available each meal i get it! Basically i love anything sweet. I try to eat fruit but it doesn't have the same sweet taste that ice cream or brownies have. I always stay within my calorie range but i know how bad it is that my diet consists of so much sugar. Should i cut out sugar cold turkey? Anyone have any tips!?

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Sugar is fine to consume, no matter where it is from. If you're in a caloric deficit it will not effect weight loss.

If anyone says otherwise, I will provide the evidence needed :p

enjoy your sweet t00th!
  • Kimbee1974
    Options
    Try a sugar free jello or pudding cup. That may cure your craving.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    And I checked 2 weeks through your diary, 70 something was your highest, that isn't even high, don't worry AT ALL.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't cut it out or deprive myself if I want something sweet. If I want a brownie, I'm going to eat the brownie! I actually have a cupcake or a small brownie most nights! Not a huge ice cream fan though. If I want to snack on a healthier alternative, I have homemade chocolate protein bars that I keep in my freezer and usually save those for after my workout, but they are so tasty that they make a great dessert. 1-2 scoops of chocolate protein powder, 1-2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter, and about 1/4 cup almond milk.
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So i have the biggest sweet tooth, like if something sweet is available each meal i get it! Basically i love anything sweet. I try to eat fruit but it doesn't have the same sweet taste that ice cream or brownies have. I always stay within my calorie range but i know how bad it is that my diet consists of so much sugar. Should i cut out sugar cold turkey? Anyone have any tips!?

I like medjool dates with a walnut in the middle, it's like candy to me when I'm craving sugar.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I tried cutting out cold turkey the last time I lost weight. I lost weight but it was only days until I gave in and ate the sweets and before I know it all the weight was back and then some. I have lost a total of 71 LBS. Since March of 2012 and I eat sweets everyday as long as I stay within my calorie limit I still lose. I have been on here since September 2012. The best part is that after 2 months of being on here my cravings went away.
  • Dorothy4208
    Dorothy4208 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do my best to stay in range and always leave room for a dessert because I pretty much need chocolate every day. I don't like a lot of fruit but I find that a cut up banana dipped in one ounce of melted semi sweet chocolate does it for me some nights. And some nights I just want a damn brownie :wink:

P.S. I don't believe in feeling bad or guilty about anything you eat. Just be sensible and never deprive yourself of a craving.
  • sneharaop
    Options
    Red cherries - the overly sweet kind.
  • sneharaop
    Options
    and 70% cocoa - ghirardelli dark chocolate squares.. They taste like heaven in your mouth..
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Hmm, do you like frozen yogurt? Maybe that would be comparable to ice cream. As for the brownie, I don't imagine one small brownie a day is going to make a major impact. Maybe a sweet fruit smoothie? Like you said, you're still on target with your ratios and calorie count, the only thing I could say is there is a difference between sweet healthy calories and sweet empty calories. You can still lose weight, but there's a missed opportunity for extra fiber, vitamins and minerals. Unfortunately, I can't offer many sweet suggestions. I'm a freak of nature. I absolutely hate chocolate and the taste of refined sugar is disgusting to me. I want to rinse my mouth out if I accidentally put something sweet in. My weakness is salty sour instead. I'm the one who trades my cookie for my friend's pickle spear. ;)
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't suggest cutting sugar cold turkey, but cutting back and experimenting with things you like. Brownies for instance, there are heaps of recipes out there that aim at making them healthier...I saw one on the forums the other day using sweet potato. Not saying you need to get that experimental, but have a play. Things like banana bread are quite sweet naturally, and a lot of recipes for it use honey. Or maybe see if you can satisfy yourself by having a tiny portion of your ice cream or a sorbet, and add a sweet fruit salad to make it a bigger sweet treat. Even tossing the fruit in a tiny bit of honey might make it more...appealing. Sugar isn't the enemy, but often the things its in are a collection of 'sometimes' ingredients for me.
  • eelizabethk
    Options
    haha i wish i was your kind of freak of nature!
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Pop-tart science...

Sugar helps bacteria decay your teeth, so that's a good reason to stop eating sweets. Also the foods you're talking about are devoid of micronutrients and protein. So even when you account for the extra calories, you will be cutting out food that has more nutritional value. Last, just because you're thin doesn't mean you're immune to diabetes. Plenty of thin people have blown out their pancreas by having a diet that's too high in carbohydrates (read: sugar) and not exercising enough (also having a genetic predisposition to diabetes).

So... sugar isn't great for you. It's worth avoiding if you can.
  • LisaYon
    LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to a sugar free dark chocolate pudding almost every night about 1 1/2 hours after dinner! It's working because I look forward to it and it fits into my daily calorie budget!