Don't call me "Big Mike"

Options

Replies

• Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Are these people who know you intimately?

'cause if they do you get to high five them every time they call you Big Mike
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    my father was big steve to his friends.
    never had an ounce of fat on him. just a muscular guy.

...on the plus side, if they still call you big mike once the weight is off, it'll make he ladies curious.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I found that if you use the names you are called publicaly as a joke then they are more likely to stop than asking people not to call you that name.

I used to be called Buddha at school, so I started telling them to worship me :happy: that soon put paid to that.

Since I have lost my weight people at work have started calling me skinny, I now threaten them with discrimination with the PC rules we now have in the UK's work place. For the same reason I try to always use first names when I had requests from people using Skinny in their user name, people can be just as offended by that as well.

Andy
    A well rounded guy, well not quite as round as I used to be :laugh:
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi big mike
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    My mate Matt is "Big Matt" because he's a power lifter who does Strongman competitions and stuff like that.

He's not offended by being called "Big Matt" he positively relishes it. :laugh:

Most men probably think it's a compliment, as usually it refers to "tall" or "strong" rather than... fat.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The worst waiter I've ever had called me "big chief."
  • marionmmm
    Options
    Ok, I like the "she looks good for 40"... nice...

ow yeah, Hi Big Jimmy!!!
  • TheRealOrson
    TheRealOrson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    HI marionmmm ;-)
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    BIG MIKE! Long time no see!
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Everyone used to call me "Big Guy". They still do even though I am not big. I actually like it now because it reminds me of how far I've come.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I was just commenting on this yesterday. I often get compliments like "you're pretty for a bigger girl" or "I like the way you look, I've always liked girls with meat on their bones."

Its frustrating, because maybe they mean well... but its not flattering. I don't feel better about myself.

I HATE this!! I could live with "nice and curvy" or something like that but it is certainly not a compliment to call a girl "bigger".

Although it reminds me of a funny Amy Schumer (comedian) quote.
    "I know I have a body type because of the way guys hit on : 'You look sturdy, like you could take a punch.'"

curvy pretty much means fat these days so it wouldn't matter

No. :noway:

<~~ has curves. is not fat.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Some guy called me big ****, but my name's not richard.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Next time, give the guy a break and use some lube
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I don't mind "Big Jimmy"....

.....ok ladies? ;-)
    That sounds tickety boo to me!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My name is Mike.

I get "Mikey" much more than Big Mike.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've been "Big Will" since early high school. Ever since then, every new group I've been a part of has had one or two members who call me that. They never mean anything harsh by it, and I don't take it as such. I'm always going to be big, one way or the other, so why not OWN that title? Walk big, act big, BE big. And big don't mean "fat" - it means larger than life, so much that you make an impact in people's minds.

At my gym there's another Will in the weightlifting area - I'm "Big Will" and he's "Regular Will". Since we're in the same area, it's a good way to differentiate when you're trying to get our attention.

Granted, I've been called "Godzilla", "Chewbacca", "Ogre", and a few other things, so "Big Will" isn't the worst thing I've heard.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    If I describe a man as big it means stocky and meaty, not fat or anything offensive!

This...big strong man! Big guy means you better make me feel secure and tiny! I have a few friends on my list that I call big guy...because they are. No matter how much weight they lose, they're still going to be 6'6 and 200+ pounds, they're big dudes!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    People call me the Big O

I have no problem with it
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Post of the day! :laugh:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    People get called Little ___ as well, or skinny minny. Short people get called shorty, too. Do you find those offensive as well? Or is it just because you're sensitive to being called big that it irks you?