How do I start losing weight again

Options
I recently started working out with a trainer 2 days a week for the past 3 weeks. I had lost about 22 lbs since I began my weight loss journey before hiring the trainer however, since I have started working with him, I have gained 6 lbs. The weight has been consistent for the past 10 days, so my assumption is that it is more than likely muscle weight. The signs are pointing to that as well. I have been drinking a lot of water but not going to the bathroom as much. How long will it take for me to start losing again? I am hoping to lose another 40 lbs before all was said and done.

What should I expect? Should I expect the initial weight gain due to muscle and then start losing the fat (weight)? I am slightly lost here.

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the one to say this to you but if you were able to gain 6 pounds of muscle in 3 weeks then you would be more efficient at building muscles than pro body builders.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    First, sorry to tell you this, but you did not gain 6 pounds of muscle from 2 training sessions a week for 3 weeks.

It's likely one of two things, perhaps a combination of both:

1. Your diet is not in check, and you are eating at a surplus instead of a deficit. Or,
    2. Your muscles are adapting to the new exercises and retaining water.

So, are you tracking calories? Are you measuring/weighing every thing you eat? If the answer is no, do that. If the answer is yes, are you eating at a deficit? Id the answer to that is no, that might be part of your problem. Give it time, the scale will likely start moving again. But, be aware that, while you're not likely to gain much muscle on a deficit (although small gains are possible), the scale will slow down. This is because more of your loss is coming from fat and not a combination of fat and LBM. Take pictures and measurements to use as another method of tracking progress, not just the scale.

So, the condensed version of this post:
    Eat at a deficit, lift, do cardio, take measurements and have patience!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    initially those muscles are going to hold some water weight....it will start coming. Just keep going. Building muscle is going to make your body burn fat more efficiently. Take your measurements and go by that...it gives you a more accurate picture of whats going on than a scale will.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Some of it may be due to muscle but not all of it. Have you upped the calories while working with a trainer? Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • jainm1234
    jainm1234 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yes, I am tracking my calories and I do eat back the calories I burn off. Most days my range is 1200 - 1500 calories AFTER I burn them off. I have not upped my calories yet because I have been content with what I am eating quantity-wise.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    the 6 pound weight gain was most likely from water retention, due to the exercise program. Your muscles will swell with water to help with repair.
    As for weight loss-
    Did you increase your calories when you started working out? If so, you may have overcompensated for the exercise and are no longer eating at a deficit.
    Make sure you are measuring and weighing your foods accurately, and logging everything carefully. Sometimes our minds can start to negotiate with us, and we think- "hey,, I am doing all this exercise now, I don't have to worry about my diet so much".

If the weight gain is simply water retention, then you should not continue to gain. If you do continue to gain, then you are most likely consuming too many calories.
    Hang in there, you will figure it out.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    yes, I am tracking my calories and I do eat back the calories I burn off.

Ah, there is your problem. You are overestimating your calories burned. If you are using the MFP database, it can be very off when it comes to actual calories burned. Try eating back only half and see if that helps.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    The gain will not be from muscle gain. That's pretty much impossible to do on a calorie deficit.

Either your sodium is too high, you aren't drinking enough water... or.. the most likely cause of the gain.. your muscles are retaining water for repair. Anytime you change your workout routine you will gain due to water weight.
  • jainm1234
    Options
    You make me want to re-enforce my HRM idea. :laugh: I am logging my hour of workout with him as a Circuit Training entry. I am not sure if that is a good idea or not but since i do not have an HRM, I am using the entries in MFP to estimate it.
  • jainm1234
    Options
    Alright, so far I have gotten..

- Increase my calories for the day.
    - Drink more water
    - Eat only half of the calories burned back
    - Be more patient
    - Increase Cardio
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Alright, so far I have gotten..

- Increase my calories for the day.
    - Drink more water
    - Eat only half of the calories burned back
    - Be more patient
    - Increase Cardio

Since your diary isn't open, and you haven't stated how many calories you are eating per day, I wouldn't say to increase your calories.
    All the rest is good advice. Especially the patience!
    Consistency is key. You can do it.
  • jainm1234
    Options
    I have alloted myself 1900 calories/day. I am going to up them sometime today unless someone says otherwise.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I have alloted myself 1900 calories/day. I am going to up them sometime today unless someone says otherwise.

Why are you wanting to increase them, if you are gaining weight?

So far I haven't seen anyone on this thread tell you to up your calories. Which is actually unusual, since there are many people who automatically say that, anytime someone complains about not losing.
    The science is pretty simple- eat less than you burn. 1900 is definitely not a low amount.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

I am not too sure that increasing that is going to give you the effect you want.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Have you checked any other signs of progress other than a number on the scale? Measurements, how clothes fit, etc?

Depending on what you're eating, what type of workouts you are doing, age/stats, etc., 1900 might be ok. I can lose fat (as opposed to "weight") at that intake, provided my activity level/type is adequate and appropriate, and I keep my macros in check - I'll lose inches for sure even when the scale doesn't budge (or very slowly!).

I wouldn't increase that just yet, unless you feel hungry and/or weak/tired, indicating you need to eat more. But you could try cycling your calories by a couple hundred so it averages out to the current level, if you feel like eating more one day.

Edited for clarification.
  • jainm1234
    Options
    Well, I am not hungry or weak or anything else like that so, I will leave the calories as they are.

I really appreciate all the help and input :)
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I experienced this and fixed it immediately when I bought a polar HRM. Use it to determine your calorie burn and create a custom exercise. MFP is wrong on the estimates. This fixed my issue quickly. Also, what did you use to determine your TDEE? Mine is also 1900 assuming I don't eat back my exercise calories. I'm 5'7, 160 and workout 4 days (run 2/lift 2) a week. I hope to increase this as I move forward but being a single mom it's hard to find time to exercise.
  • jainm1234
    Options
    I used www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ to figure out my MBF and BMR. I was lightly active when I started. So, for being a 5'3, 182 lbs with walking for a few minutes a couple of days a week, the chart told me that I need to be eating approximately 1888 calories to maintain my current weight. Most days my calorie range with exercise has been 1200-1500 calories/day and 1500-1700 calories/day without exercise.
    I experienced this and fixed it immediately when I bought a polar HRM. Use it to determine your calorie burn and create a custom exercise. MFP is wrong on the estimates. This fixed my issue quickly. Also, what did you use to determine your TDEE? Mine is also 1900 assuming I don't eat back my exercise calories. I'm 5'7, 160 and workout 4 days (run 2/lift 2) a week. I hope to increase this as I move forward but being a single mom it's hard to find time to exercise.
  • swampgeek
    swampgeek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Its most likely water retention in your muscles.

I had this issue over the past 2 weeks. Even made a couple of frustrated post in the forums. Just keep doing what you were doing before you started training. If you are truly tracking your intake vs. exercise honestly your body will get back on track.

Looking at my reports I evened out and gained back 4.lbs over a 12 day period. I have been strength training for about 14. The past 2 days the weight has fell off and I am back to my lowest recorded weight and the way things are looking its going to continue to shed off quickly.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Not muscle that quickly.
    Do not raise your cals.