I'm a vegetarian but need more protein. HELP!

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    First, my fitness pal overestimates protein requirements. You only need 11-12% but if you are really active 13% will do you. For example an 1800 calorie diet would require 50-60g of protein. Requirements may vary slightly due to age and sex. MyFitnessPal suggests 68g for inactive 1800 calorie diet, for comparison.

My food suggestions:
    LENTILS! (and other legumes) Try adding beans to soups, salads, making burgers/meatless neatballs with them.
    NUTS! If you eat oatmeal, add some walnut pieces. They go great with maple and banana! Have almonds for a snack!
    LEAFY GREENS have a high percent protein! Threy are low in calories so you need eat a lot. Spinach and arugula are excellent salad greens. Eat a bigger salad with more greens!

Where are you getting these recommendations from because based on all the research around, they actually underestimate for the majority,

You can MFP search this because I can't at the moment (on my phone) but even one of the mods, Psulemon, posted that MFP's protein macro was set at a minimum.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I see by your examples you eat dairy, so why not some whey protein? I mix some in with the Greek yogurt, makes a nice snack.

Why have I never thought of this!!!!!

b3mWa.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Go lift heavy things if you want to put on real muscle. More protein really does diddly squat except inflame them because it spikes insulin levels. It won't give you real functional muscle, just the appearance of it. And it's not particularly healthy either (nor is dairy or eggs). I guess if you don't care about your health and are just in it for aesthetics, eat more protein at least from plant sources like sunwarrior protein in a shake or something. Wouldn't recommend that though.

What in the what? :noway:
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Ask your boyfriend!

^ You won't have to ask more than once.
  • AnthonyKolka
    AnthonyKolka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of quest nutrition bars and spirutein protein shakes, check them out!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    There's so little logic to being a vegetarian. why not revisit that entirely and eat meat? makes life and your goals much easier. If you're vegetarianism is some kind of moral issue with killing animals, find an animal to eat that you don't feel sorry for. Shark meat maybe? or shell fish? or shrimp? something.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There's so little logic to being a vegetarian. why not revisit that entirely and eat meat? makes life and your goals much easier. If you're vegetarianism is some kind of moral issue with killing animals, find an animal to eat that you don't feel sorry for. Shark meat maybe? or shell fish? or shrimp? something.

:noway:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Protein requirements for normal people are 1 gram per 1 kg body mass (not one pound). Heavy lifters and exercisers may need 1.2 to 1.4 grams per kilogram (1 kg = 2.2 lbs).

You need healthy kidneys and lots of fluid if you are consistently over your protein requirements. The poster stating 1 gram per pound is wrong.
    First, my fitness pal overestimates protein requirements. You only need 11-12% but if you are really active 13% will do you. For example an 1800 calorie diet would require 50-60g of protein. Requirements may vary slightly due to age and sex. MyFitnessPal suggests 68g for inactive 1800 calorie diet, for comparison.

My food suggestions:
    LENTILS! (and other legumes) Try adding beans to soups, salads, making burgers/meatless neatballs with them.
    NUTS! If you eat oatmeal, add some walnut pieces. They go great with maple and banana! Have almonds for a snack!
    LEAFY GREENS have a high percent protein! Threy are low in calories so you need eat a lot. Spinach and arugula are excellent salad greens. Eat a bigger salad with more greens!

MFP UNDERestimates protein. For the OP's goals 13% is nowhere near enough. The general recommendation is 1g protein per 1 pound of lean body mass.

I didn't see anything in the original op stating she had kidney problems.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Right. Just eat ugly animals. Problem solved.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I use hemp powder for protein. I add it to my Greek yogurt and strawberry smoothie in the morning. Also Spirutein is a vegan protein shake powder that tastes great! I blend it with ice.
  • aRunnerandaRider
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian (pescetarian though) for about 3 years, and I can definitely identify with struggling to squeeze in enough protein given my substantial mileage.

My go-to items are greek yogurt (freeze it, make parfaits, use in place of sour cream, whatever), PB2 powdered peanut butter (perfect for shakes), whey protein powder (current favorite is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold, chocolate flavor), and homemade protein bars. A good recipe--as well as a great site overall-- is here: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/

I try to sneak protein sources in whatever I'm cooking, too -- protein pancakes/waffles (lots of recipes online), sprouted bread in sandwiches or sprouted tortillas in wraps/quesadillas/pizzadillas (love ezekiel bread and the trader joe's version), baked goods made with protein powder or greek yogurt, and pretty much anything made with edamame or chickpeas.
  • Sunshine_Kubes
    Sunshine_Kubes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Quinoa.. oatmeal
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You do not need to overdo the protein. Only weight resistance builds muscle. Your kidneys will work very hard to flush out excess. Just make sure there is a protein rich food at every meal. You'll be good :).
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options

If you produced this response by typing your actual thoughts on a keyboard rather than rolling your face across it and clicking post, you should feel ashamed.
  • andromedasuite
    Options
    The main thing for showcasing your muscle groups is to get your body fat below 18% (female) or under 10% for men. I was a vegetarian for 13 years and vegan for 1 year. I got really sick because I was eating less than 25g protein per day. As long as you are not being a total dummy like me, you are probably doing ok. The dietician I met with was absolutely appalled by my diet (mostly frozen vegan burritos, trail mix, and salads while I was in college). She explained that I needed to pick either eggs or fish and start including those in my diet to get adequate protein. When I moved to Alaska I started catching and eating fish and shellfish, especially salmon and halibut which are loaded with protein and nutrient-rich, especially potassium. You don't have to consume fish if you don't want to. Good luck and I'm happy you are keeping such a close eye on your nutrient intake.

I use Jay Robb protein powder, it uses stevia instead of artificial sweeteners like sucralose/aspartame. He makes a whey protein and an egg white protein powder that are both amazing. I use both. Each one is about 25g protein per scoop. It is about $38 for a 2-lb bag which lasts me an entire month. I also buy protein bars that have 20g protein and usually eat one per day. From there, the rest of my mostly-vegetarian diet can usually get me to 80g or more of protein per day. I have a high body weight, currently 215lb so my requirements are probably higher than yours.

Scrambled egg whites or whole eggs in a vegetarian breakfast burrito with black beans is also amazing. I like to make brekkie burritos ahead of time and freeze them. I'm sure that as a vegetarian you are already familiar with "protein combining". If you can combine proteins to get a complete amino acid profile, that is even better (like beans & quinoa, or peanut butter on wholegrain toast). You don't have to eat them at the same time, just during the same day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No one is going to stop being a vegetarian because some random person in the Internet says something this incredibly ignorant and rude.

Why did you even feel the need to post in this thread?

OP -- I don't focus really on my protein, but I do get my needs met through dairy, eggs, peanut butter, some of the processed veggie burgers (I peger Quorn since it's mushroom rather than soy based and I think the burgers taste much better than any of the others on the market), whole grain bread and pasta, beans ...

Really, as a veg, it's tough to get the really high protein numbers, but if you're willing to up your calories a bit, you can do well.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You are.....not worth the strike....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    No more illogical then going strictly low carb. People lose weight different ways and genetics has a lot to do with how that pans out too.
    Not that you'd be convinced of that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Momjogger
    Options

If you produced this response by typing your actual thoughts on a keyboard rather than rolling your face across it and clicking post, you should feel ashamed.
    LMAO!
  • Momjogger
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame - 14g of protein per 30g (about 1/4 cup), and 7g fiber to boot.
    Ohh good point. I love edamame. Dry roasted sounds great!