...Headaches from sugar crash??

ghalliday
ghalliday Posts: 46 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been doing MFP for just over 2 weeks now & have been getting really bad headaches, which is unusual for myself. I think this may b from the lack of sugar in my diet?? This has happened before when I have dieted also. Any ideas?? Or has this happened t eny1else??

Replies

• kyleefreeman
    kyleefreeman Posts: 70 Member
    ME TOO!!!....
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Did you cut out soda or coffee? It could be caffeine-withdrawal. If not, try eating more protein and fiber and 4-6 small meals throughout the day to keep your blood sugar steady.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Sugar has the effect on the brain just like a drug. You are going through with drawls belive it or not. No reason you can't use sugar, just cut back and try to stay with natural sugars.

Also, make sure you stay hydrated and keep nutrition up.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    I can't see your food diary...but I would suggest that it might also be from lack of protein. Depending on what you are eating everyday you may not be getting enough protein to substain your blood sugar levels at a high enough point and that can cause headaches. It could be from either, but just wanted to point out that that may be the case as well :) Hope they go away, though,
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    It could also be dehydration. Since changing my diet and exercising more, I've found I'm VERY sensitive to not getting enough water, especially since I don't drink much else. It only takes a day of not drinking enough to trigger a headache for me. Make sure you're drinking plenty of H2O!
  • ghalliday
    Thanks for the comments & advice :-) I really do need to drink more water.....so will try that this week, aswell as keeping an eye on my protein levels.....
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    It's horrible, isn't it? The same thing happened to me when I started MFP. I had a massive headache for 4 or 5 days without mercy. Thought my eyes would drop out of my head.

In my case, it was definitely the sugar cutback. But I also wasn't getting enough protein, or drinking enough water.

To beat it, I radically increased the amount of "good" carbs by eating raw fruit, raisins, pasta, and wholewheat wraps. I started drinking 10 cups of water a day. I also started eating a can of tuna a day. I think it was the tuna that ultimately made a difference.

After about 10 days, I was through it and feeling better than I'd felt in years!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    When I gave up sugar I was in bed with migrate/ bad headaches for one week and had bad-ish headaches for another. Then I was fine. Sugar is serious stuff.
  • ghalliday
    Well hopefully they will go away soon!!!!!! I eat quite a lot of fish already for protein but will keep a concious eye on it this week......aswell as drinking more water :-)))) Glad it's not just me!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.