Bipolar College Student :)

Options
Hey! so i'm 20 years old and I was diagnosed Bipolar when I was 17. My psychiatrist put me on horrible meds for 6 months and that's when I gained over 50 pounds and became extremely overweight. I barely remember those 6 months, I was like a zombie. Anyway, I'm finally on the right meds and I have my illness in control for the most part. However, sometimes my mania and depression get in the way. About 90% of the time, i'm stable and can control what I eat, but when I get manic, my cravings get worse, I work out insanely and I eat anything and don't even realize it until a couple days later and when i'm depressed, I can't get out of bed and I don't eat for a couple of days. this gets in the way with my hard work and it really sucks.

I go back to school in September and I have a phobia of eating in front of people alone (in my head I think everyone is staring at me and thinking "oh yeah, the fat girl has to eat"), so bringing a lunch is just not gonna happen and luckily buying a lunch isn't either. There are , I think, 3 panda expresses on campus, so smelling it almost every day really sucks! . Last semester, somehow, I was able to not get anything, so hopefully I will be able to get through the day without anything.

Anywho, i'm looking for positive people who understand that I am serious about losing weight, but there will be a few days where I "relapse". I've lost 21 pounds so far, a little over 100 to go! If you want you can add me :) I love cheering people on!! :)

Replies

• kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I also have bipolar disorder. I was put on the wrong meds when i was younger as well and it helped with my weight gain. I am now on the right meds too so I feel a lot better. I feel like we have a lot in common. So if you ever need any help or support from someone who knows what it's like, I'm here :)
  • shellsies93
    Options
    yay! i'm so glad we are friends already!!
    same for you, if you ever need someone to talk to i'm here!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You really should eat lunch, even if you eat in your dorm room or your car- that way you won't get too hungry and really overeat at dinner and on night-time munchy snacks.

I can certainly empathize with the bipolar depression- it can be a real demon. Just be very consistent with taking your meds.

Good luck on your journey to health. If you wish to add me as a friend, you can. I am on here every day, several times a day and I always try to keep a positive encouraging attitude.
  • remimarie
    Options
    I have bipolar 1 disorder and was diagnosed at 33. I gained 50lbs during the first 3 years since I got diagnosed and has been unable to lose it. I don't really have a problem eating in front of other people, but I do tend to eat things I really shouldn't and I also tend to eat the wrong portions.

Since I re-started back on MFP and joined Curves in June, I have lost 7lbs and 17 inc overall. I have been logging everything I eat and I try to eat according to the 1500 calories suggestion by Curves. I am very lucky, 'cuz Curves Complete gives you a meal plan for all the meals you eat throughout the day. They have wonderful, healthy recipes.

I am here to support and help motivate you if you need a friend. So, please feel free to add me. Have a great day!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Which meds made you gain weight rapidly?

Which meds made you feel better without weight gain?

(Just curious -- I'm studying for my Psych DNP and love to hear real world input about meds and treatments in addition to what the books say.)
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm Bipolar as well. Diagnosed when I was 13. Started out as Bipolar II and has now been classified as Bipolar Mania. I had the same issue with medication. I gained 100 pounds and lost all 100 here on MFP. Feel free to add me. I've been on many different medications and made the personal decision to deal with Bipolar Mania without medication because of all of the side effects.
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wow, I really cannot relate to what you are going through but I hope the best for ya. Good luck on meeting your goals and stay strong and positive, this is what got me thru my journey and is what drives me!!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Is it mean for me to say that ya'll would be a lot of fun at a college party?

*ducks flying books aimed at my head

(not meaning to be offensive...I just try to find humor in all situations)
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Bi-Polar here didn't get diagnosed till I was around 27. I knew something was wrong just never knew how to get it fixed.

On Seroquel and it has helped me so much!
    I'm now trying to lose weight as well and have lost over 50 lbs so far and have roughly 100 to go. Feel free to add me I'm very active on here (100 days in a row so far) and will push you!
  • shellsies93
    Options
    Is it mean for me to say that ya'll would be a lot of fun at a college party?

*ducks flying books aimed at my head

(not meaning to be offensive...I just try to find humor in all situations)

it's not mean! it's totally true!!!! hahaha
  • shellsies93
    Options
    Which meds made you gain weight rapidly?

Which meds made you feel better without weight gain?

(Just curious -- I'm studying for my Psych DNP and love to hear real world input about meds and treatments in addition to what the books say.)

Geodon made me gain
    I'm now on Lamictal 125mg
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I know it is not the same. But my psychiatrist diagnosed me with OCD / Anxiety disorder. That's bad too. I use to take Prozac and Abilify. However, I had restless leg syndrome with the Abilify. The Prozac made me feel "spaced out" and always sleepy.

I am not taking anything right now.

However, it is still tough to deal with.

Best of luck to you in life and on your journey :)

God Bless :)
  • itsmeheatherp
    itsmeheatherp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I worry about eating in front of people. I think they will see me eating and think I am fat.
    Try eating a protien bar during the day. That way your body doesn't go into starvation mode and then stop burning fat. It is very hard on your system to only eat in the evening. Protein bars keep you feeling full and keep your blood sugar from freaking out too.

Just a thought...
  • touchofred
    touchofred Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also have Bipolar Disorder and was only recently diagnosed last year. It was priorly diagnosed as major depressive disorder/generalized anxiety. So I have been on meds since I was 15 and completely understand and feel for you about the weight gain. I wish you the best of luck, it will be done - you've come this far. Feel free to add :)
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I worry about eating in front of people. I think they will see me eating and think I am fat.
    Try eating a protien bar during the day. That way your body doesn't go into starvation mode and then stop burning fat. It is very hard on your system to only eat in the evening. Protein bars keep you feeling full and keep your blood sugar from freaking out too.

Just a thought...

Same with me. I never eat in front of people....for the same reason I am afraid of being judged.
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    However, I had restless leg syndrome with the Abilify.

I had restless leg syndrome before my abilify. And it actually helped mine. Weird lol
  • sheilatush
    sheilatush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from Bi-polar...diagnosed at 27 ... I am now 51...I also have OCD

On 3 types of medication...Anyone is free to add me x