why is it????

Options
I hate the gym I really really hate it. I have to remove my butt from my chair with a crowbar when I have to go. But when I get done I feel so insanely good? Especially today. I finally started running again (I haven't since sophmore year of highscool) and today I ran a mile for the first time in 20 years! I am so proud of myself.
So if it makes me feel that good when I am done why is it so hard to get my butt out of the door?

Replies

• tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I get up every morning telling myself that I'll just skip going today. Of course I'm telling myself this as I'm putting on my workout clothes and tying up my shoes. Every day for a year and half now it's the same thing. My mind is always looking for a way out of it but my body had other ideas!
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the same thing for months. It's like going through the mental rolladex of excuses while getting dress. Today was I can't find my ear bud. I went and bought a $5 jobby at the gas station till I can find my good ones!
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just realized I am doing the same thing with my house work! Oh how I hate dishes let me count the ways!!!!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Because it isn't a habit yet?
  • pennie63
    pennie63 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm the same way ! Swam today though and it felt so good. Strongest swim for me yet!
  • alwayswinter303
    Options
    If it was easy everyone would be in perfect shape!!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It's just attitude.

I found when I kept telling myself that I love to run, I actually really started to enjoy it.

The gym...on days I hate going, I just think about all the scenery that's there and it brightens my mood instantly since there are a lot of firefighters and policemen that go there. :D
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Inertia
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Find something you actually enjoy doing.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for long enough for it to become habit...and I still have to talk myself into doing it every day. Why? Because it SUCKS.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you have not tried it you might want to think about trail running, I want to kill myself on a treadmill and roads are ok but still not as awesome as trail running. You have to go slower, but the scenery is better and paying attention to where you put your feet and where you are going makes things so much more interesting! Super awesome if you have a pup that is good off leash and can go with you! I also have problems getting shin splints sometimes and mixing trail running in really helps with that since it is softer ground.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You know, you don't HAVE to go to the gym.

Since you hate it, perhaps working out at home, or outside is better suited for your tastes.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I actually miss not working out, because that would mean i can eat that much lesser in the day...so i try and have some calories burnt almost everyday..makes me feel active and helps me eat all the food that i "LOVE".

Also its about picking the workout you love doing. I love zumba..i look forward to my zumba workouts. I have been missing them since 3 weeks(cant drive due to some reasons) and i cant wait to get back to it!!
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Rather go to gym than do housework .. lol x
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A famous quote from Mother Runners "Don't think, just go". The first step out the door is the hardest. I thought it was just me, but after reading Runner's World for the last few years, MANY runners, let alone other exercisers have the same ordeal. Just remind yourself how great you feel afterwards and that you NEVER regret going but always regret staying on the couch!!!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile for it to become a habit, but eventually you will hate it more when you DON'T make it to the gym.
  • aspalmer3
    aspalmer3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to be this way, then I found something i really like to do (spinning) and I rarely ever miss now. I love going and feel so much better when I do! I would MUCH rather be on my spin bike than cleaning house :tongue:
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Today, my intention was to take a nap. I went to my room, closed the door and got dressed to workout. I find that strangely odd. I feel better now, I can enjoy my nap now that I worked out. I just wish there was a skinny switch button because somedays I feel
    completly physically and emotionally drained I dont want to do nothing. But I always end up off the couch somehow.
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Prepare and schedule your healthy life style. Make it a priority. Get determined and stop making excuses. Everyday you win against the negativity you are closer to making your good choices a habit.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Try a reward system... Set a goal (going to the gym 5x a week for a month).... Put a twoonie in a jar every time you go to the gym... At the end of the month, buy yourself something nice... A spa treatment, clothes, workout equipment...anything but food. :happy:
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I chuckle at myself every time I do this. Especially on my drive home, I am thinking of every excuse in the book.. too tired, too wired, too much to do, blah, blah, blah. Then the BF says you wanna go workout aft dinner and I say Yes every time... Then I feel great after and just laugh at myself...