How important is WHEN you eat calories

Options
2»

Replies

• sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think it's all personal preference. As long as it's within your calorie goal, who cares when it is.

That being said, there are people that swear that if they eat after ___ at night, they gain weight or lose slower or something along that line. Probably just how their metabolism is.

For me, the time doesn't matter as long as I stick within my goal. Example, last night I didn't eat dinner until 11 when I got home from the 49ers game (didn't eat anything at the stadium) and I still lost overnight to be at my typical morning weight.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against what everyone else is saying-- I learned in a nutrition class I just took that it is very critical. If you consume more than you need to replenish your body with energy at one given time you will store it as fat. It is better to have a few meals throughout the day that are all around the same size and total up to your calorie goal. It is better for your metabolism as well as the hormones in your body related to digestion.

This is 100% patently false. Your metabolic rate will be appreciably higher following an intermittent fasting regimen (or similar dieting plan) rather than eating multiple times throughout the day. Insulin level are also more tightly controlled.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I eat when I want and when I need too. Doesn't really matter, though. Whatever floats your boat
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My experience has been to eat bigger meals at Breakfast and Lunch time when your most active during the day and your metabolism is working faster to burn off the fat and calories, later have a small meal when your going to be less likely active and more relaxed.
    What does "metabolism working faster" mean?
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my biggest meal at dinner to for me its my favorite meal so I rather have extra cals for it and if I want a yogurt with fruit and nuts at night too :)
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I eat about 1/4 of my calories for breakfast then I have a small lunch and snack so at dinner I still have almost half of my calories left to eat. I eat a normal dinner with my family no special "diet" dinner or anything. I simply just ensure I take no more then one serving of everything. Then I normally eat a small desert and still have calories left over for a small late night snack too.

I have lost almost 60lbs in 7 months and am still going strong. Never hungry, never tired. So I say if it works for you go for it.
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against what everyone else is saying-- I learned in a nutrition class I just took that it is very critical. If you consume more than you need to replenish your body with energy at one given time you will store it as fat. It is better to have a few meals throughout the day that are all around the same size and total up to your calorie goal. It is better for your metabolism as well as the hormones in your body related to digestion.

Was that a class at Hollywood Upstairs Medical College?

CrTcMsw.jpg
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I practice Intermittent Fasting, and limit my food intake to a 4-hour window in the evening. For weight management, I don't think there is anything as important as the total amount of calories consumed . If I consume too much or to little, the concomitant results will speak for themselves.

However, IF does two things for me: (1) It helps me *enormously* in controlling how many calories inside of myself. There is only so much that you can eat at one sitting (provided you are not eating junk). (2) During most of the day, when my stomach is virtually devoid of food (a state that I used to find uncomfortable initially, but have gotten quite used to), I am at cognitively at my sharpest. I love how I can focus on any work that requires mental acuity . Surprisingly, even my physical energy levels are higher throughout the day. Indeed, I have gotten used to doing my weight training at the end of the fast.

Is fasting beneficial by itself? Not everyone will agree. But, personally, I happen to buy the purport of this documentary: .
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Get your tuition refunded.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just computed total pounds lost for the nays and total pounds lost for the yays. I dunno, you do the math on which philosophy is correct. Afterall, that IS the bottom line, right? \m/ \m/
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority of posters. It's personal preference.
    I don't like eating early in the day, so I usually don't. I eat the majority of my calories for dinner, because I like having a big meal in the evening.
    Doesn't seem to have affected my weight loss at all. :smile:
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat through out the day to regulate my blood sugar. Sometimes I have a big breakfast if I'm hungry. It depends on what you want to do and what is best for your health.
  • RBurnham90
    RBurnham90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Not important at all. It's personal preferance. Just do what suits to you, it has no effect on anything.

this ^

Meal timing is irrelevant. There are a lot of misconceptions because of fitness magazines trying to say otherwise just to help sell you a product
  • sugarysweet110
    Options
    It's all based on personal preference. Just like there is nothing wrong with having a snack/meal before you go to bed-- because calories can't tell time.
    As long as you get your amount of calories in for the day, it doesn't matter when you eat.