To Thai or not to Thai

Options
My friend wants to go to a Thai restaraunt today and I already told her I would but that was pre MFP. So now I am stuck. I want to go since I already said yes but I can't find anything about the calories for thai food!!!

I am thinking of getting the scallop lad prik - scallops roasted with fresh chili, garlic and a spcial thai herb sauce, but how many calories is that? She got me the menu so I can search, but I can't find any information at all!

Replies

• SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Look up many of the key ingredients separately and then estimate how much of each you think is in there. At the restaurant ask how many ounces of meat or pasta etc was used in the dish. If it seems really high in calories, just eat half and take the rest home for later :)
  • alexialawson
    Options
    Here's a link to the recipe ( I hope this is the same thing; it calls for fish but I'm sure you can just replace it with scallops in the recipe maker).
    It's a lot of work, but totally worth it. Thai food is generally (as long as there is no coconut milk) surprisingly low in calories. Low & behold, my favorite Thai soup has the most coconut milk (Thom Kha Gai).
    Good luck!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I would go - Thai food is full of fresh ingredients. Have you tried googling?
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I am going with the Pla Goong, but I will ask at the restaraunt what is in the spicy sauce. I am also going to avoid the coconut milk like the plague (even thought it is oh so tasty). When I get back I am going to take your suggestion Bell, just piece it together.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Try salad Rolls, they are pretty low in calorie. The other option, is to break down your meal individually. Here's the other thing, let yourself have a splurge night. Last night,, we had hot wings, french fries and blue cheese dressing MMMM MMMM MMM. then we worked out, and then i negated my work out with some ice cream. But guess what? this morning I had lost 3 pounds! Maybe i would have lost more if I hadn't eaten all of that, but hey, I needed a night off from caring about my calories!

good luck!