Is T25 too "cardio-centric" Thoughts?

Options
I am down to my lowest adult weight and want to keep going for maybe another 10 lbs or so. I've had the most success with the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, Firm Express, and JM Body Revolution. Using heavier weights really works for me. That said I'm a little bored and want to try something new. I think T 25 looks awesome, but it seems to be mostly cardio with very little strength.

I'm afraid of losing the arm definition I've earned and also my general core strength (my back hasn't gone out in a year *knock on wood).

Any T25ers out there who have an opinion?

Replies

• rolemodel69
    Options
    T25 is not a muscle hypertrophy program, it has a lot of cardio workouts to work your core and burn calories, the first phase doesn't have any weights needed and you use weights only in the second phase of the program.

If you are looking for a program with short workouts that will tone your body and gain muscle i would recommend looking at Chalean Extreme or Body Beast. P90X is also an awesome program but expect longer workouts in the 1 hour range.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I agree with rolemodel69 to a degree. Yes, it is cardio-centric, but with a circuit training aura.
    I haven't done all of the T25 workouts yet, but I have done Lower Focus, Upper Focus, and Ab Intervals (no subtlety in the titling, those videos work exactly what you think they do).

If you are using the right form, Lower Focus and Ab Intervals will definitely get that lactic acid flowing, and the same goes for Upper Focus if you pick the right weight.

I can't really speak to the other workouts, but that's my brief summation of those three.
  • jecka93
    jecka93 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've seen some results photos and people seem to get pretty lean muscle!
    Maybe do the Gamma circuit aswell? That's all strength training I believe :)
    I'm currently doing T25.
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am down to my lowest adult weight and want to keep going for maybe another 10 lbs or so. I've had the most success with the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, Firm Express, and JM Body Revolution. Using heavier weights really works for me. That said I'm a little bored and want to try something new. I think T 25 looks awesome, but it seems to be mostly cardio with very little strength.

I'm afraid of losing the arm definition I've earned and also my general core strength (my back hasn't gone out in a year *knock on wood).

Any T25ers out there who have an opinion?

I'm another Jillian fan and don't want to lose the muscle strength and definition I worked so hard for. Just finished Week 2 of T25. The first week kicked my butt. My shins and calves were sore from all of the fast-paced plyo I wasn't used to. By the second week, it still feels intense, but I don't get any soreness at all. It just feels, to me, that body-weight only isn't enough to challenge my muscles and keep my gains. At least not the upper body ones. So I added a couple of Body Revolution workouts (1 & 2 with moderate weights--7's, 10's, 12's) to supplement this week. And no, it was not too much. My plan for the rest of the program is to add at least 2 strength workouts per week to T25, when Cardio or Speed is on the rotation.

In my opinion, T25 is great as a cardio-based supplement to your strength routine. It's handy for travel (no equipment needed) and it's nice to have a different style of workout in the mix to keep you motivated. But it's not enough by itself if you're at maintenance.
  • Carebear530
    Carebear530 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking Beta and Gamma will have more upper body. So far I am only on week 4 & there have been some push ups but that is about itfor upper body. I do think my legs are getting enough but I run as well. Maybe you could just mix in a few upper body moves a couple days a week until you get to Beta?
  • lauralea42
    lauralea42 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Is T25 considered HIIT?