Having a hard time working out!

Options
Hello there,
I am having a super hard time working out! I have three little girls, one a 5 month old baby. My husband is a full time student and works part time after school. I am a stay at home mom, our funds are limited so I can't go join a gym and pay for childcare there which is a rip off.
We live far away from any of our families, so I can't find anyone to watch my girls. I really want to work out, but can't find the time/resources to do so.

Does anyone have a great workout that can be done from home with limited cost? Something that can still be motivating and not boring?

Thanks!

Replies

• Jezika
    Jezika Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello there,
    I am having a super hard time working out! I have three little girls, one a 5 month old baby. My husband is a full time student and works part time after school. I am a stay at home mom, our funds are limited so I can't go join a gym and pay for childcare there which is a rip off.
    We live far away from any of our families, so I can't find anyone to watch my girls. I really want to work out, but can't find the time/resources to do so.

Does anyone have a great workout that can be done from home with limited cost? Something that can still be motivating and not boring?

Thanks!
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym either. I walk a lot outdoors. I also have a couple of dvds that I really like. Biggest Loser Cardio Max and Power Sculpt. They have three levels and you can customize your workout to suit your needs.

I have read other posts that say Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is challenging and has different levels as you progress.

Good luck! :smile:
  • Starr
    Starr Posts: 45
    Options
    Can you walk with the girls? Stroller pushing is good! And walking wears the girls out ... sometimes. The fresh air will be good for everyone! I remember how it was with little kids ... exhausting, but no exercise.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I would find some videos of something fun that you could do with your kids. That way, they're getting some exercise too.

Here's some I found that they might find kind of fun:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d?url=search-alias=dvd&field-keywords=fitness+for+kids

Sure, it's geared towards kids, but you could do it too!

I've also heard that Leslie Sansone is pretty easy to do with kids too. They might find it kind of boring, but they might feel very special to be doing a grown-up video with mommy too.

With the baby, you could always do mommy and me yoga. Or just do chest presses while holding her. I used to lay my son down and do push ups while making goofy faces or kissing him. He thought it was hilarious.
  • mimzy
    mimzy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You can work those kids right into an exercise routine and their play becomes your workout!

When my kids were little, we used to have about an hour of "music" time every day.
    We danced and got a great deal of aerobic activity in without even feeling like it.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Best bet is exercise DVDs. I have had fun dancing with my kids so the Dancing with the oldies might be a good thing to try. I haven't tried it, but many on this site like it and you may be able to get the kids to join and have fun together.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Same here, I lost my baby weight simply walking 20 minutes everyday.

I have since added workout dvds. I like turbo jam (cause it's fun and not boring). However, there are tons of great ones out there. So do a little research on them and see what fits you best.

I don't like gyms. I also have been a single parent for 5 years and this has worked for me.
  • EBaxter
    EBaxter Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom as well. I have two boys, one 5 months. I do belong to a women's gym but can't afford a babysitter so find it hard to go. I take walks! My older son can walk (and uses lots of extra energy doing so) and stroller walking helps me burn extra calories. It is just tough being organized enough to get everyone out the door. On the plus side, we take lots of different paths and even bring our dog sometimes!
  • rhonda79
    rhonda79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello, I don't go to a gym either. I work out from home. I have a dvd I use called Denise Austin 10 five min target toners only about $15 from target. and I have a treadmill I use and a slider I spend about 45 min a night on the treadmill and maybe 20 mins a week on the slider other then a few walks and bike rides that all I do and I lost 12lbs before i sign up here. you can do it. best time is maybe after the kids have gone to bed or taking a nap. or when hubby's home to take over. you can do it :smile:
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I stay at home as well, and I have 4 children, 8, 6, 3, and 1. Exercising is definately a challenge. I have been working out 5 days a week for the last 2 weeks and dieting for the last month. I have a 30 lb weight loss goal, and I have already lost 8. The working out has really started toning up my body (after babies, you know how the hips spread, the mummy tummy) and jumped up the weight loss after that first week. (You lose a ton in the first week of dieting, then you start to lose 1-2 a week after that)

Anyways, I have been alternating cardio with toning every other day, so that way you are using different muscle groups, and giving each a day of rest in between. So my man who has got me into shape after each baby, and he may be old school, is Gilad. If you haven't heard of him, google him and look up his dvd's. He pushes you and isn't annoying like some of those freaky women out there. Find the ones you like and I suggest amazon.com to buy them. Alternate cardio with toning, and stay within you calories, and you will get your body back, I promise!

P.S. The first week and a half are so hard!! Stay with it and it starts to become a high that you look forward to. Oh, and work out in the morning to boost your energy for the day. If you are like me, if I wait until the afternoon to workout, it feels twice as hard! Good luck! I just joined this yesterday, and I am so glad for the help! I actually feel like I get to eat more than I was than going on my own!