Low cal dressings

Options
...that ACTUALLY taste good? What is there?

I used to love salads...I'd eat them faithfully! Since MFP showed me just how fattening dressings are, my desire for salads went MIA. It's been weeks! I'm starting to miss them.

Ideas please?!

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I started out using oil & vinegar... Now I'm experimenting on making my own stuff, still using oil and vinegar, but switching around the vinegars (balsamic, red wine, apple cider, white balsamic) and adding various seasonings along with some finely chopped garlic. I honestly like these more than regular dressings.

Sometimes I even just use the various vinegars by themselves with some seasonings if I don't have the fat left for the day.

It's also good to use a salsa/guacamole mix depending on the salad ingredients.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area (can't see where you live)? They make 2 dressings that I swear by! One is their Champagne Pear Vinaigrette with Gorgonzola... I believe it's just 40 cals for 2 tbs.... and I hardly ever use 2 tbs on a big sald-- 1.5 is enough! They also make a Cilantro dressing that's yummy and low cal as well!!

Another option I use sometimes is SALSA! Load your salad up with things like red pepper and onions and cilantro and a few beans (kind of a mexican salad)... then just use a few heaping spoonfuls of salsa (pico de gallo type is perfect!) Hardly any cals or fat at all!!

Lastly, you could take 1/4 an avocado and mash it all up with the juice form a lemon or lime-- makes it nice and creamy and smooth... slather that all over your salad. You get the 'good fat' and it's so yummy!!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! See, I love oil and vinegar, but I had some today and 1 tbsp is still 60 cals! Doesn't seem much better than a typical dressing.?!
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area (can't see where you live)? They make 2 dressings that I swear by! One is their Champagne Pear Vinaigrette with Gorgonzola... I believe it's just 40 cals for 2 tbs.... and I hardly ever use 2 tbs on a big sald-- 1.5 is enough! They also make a Cilantro dressing that's yummy and low cal as well!!

Another option I use sometimes is SALSA! Load your salad up with things like red pepper and onions and cilantro and a few beans (kind of a mexican salad)... then just use a few heaping spoonfuls of salsa (pico de gallo type is perfect!) Hardly any cals or fat at all!!

Lastly, you could take 1/4 an avocado and mash it all up with the juice form a lemon or lime-- makes it nice and creamy and smooth... slather that all over your salad. You get the 'good fat' and it's so yummy!!

Hi! Not sure if I have a Trader Joes around. If so, it's a distance away. Salsa! That's a good idea! Never would have thought. Avocados...still have to try those. I'm kind of apprehensive about that. lol
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    TonTon Ginger Japanese Dressing and Marinade. The same dressing you get in sushi restaurants! Delicious! Only 20 calories per tablespoon, 0 fat! 1 g sugar! I found it at Costco.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My personal faves are the Newman's Own dressings. Their lite honey mustard and sesame ginger vinaigrette are pretty much always in my fridge.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! See, I love oil and vinegar, but I had some today and 1 tbsp is still 60 cals! Doesn't seem much better than a typical dressing.?!

It's better when you consider the fat content. Olive oil contains good fats, most salad dressings don't.

Have you ever tried just using the vinegar without the oil? If you think about it the oil doesn't really add much flavor. You should check out getting some salt-free seasonings and pairing them with the various vinegars and see if you like that combo.
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have a couple. Ken's Steakhouse's Raspberry Walnut fat free dressing is very good. I also like Panera's dressings and they now have them at our local Target and Publix. They have a fat free poppy seed and a FF raspberry vinagrette that are both very good.
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've found the vinegar based ones are usually pretty good in the lite forms, but the creamy ones are pretty gross. I love that salsa idea too.
  • masson24
    masson24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've found you have to be careful looking for low fat options, they are usually higher in sodium and carbs than the full fat versions, it's a trade off I guess. Anywho, I'm now a huge fan of Lighthouse brand, Huckleberry Vinaigrette. It's only 25 calories for 2 TBLS pretty low sodium and carbs and no fat. There is also another flavor of Lighthouse that I've yet to try but sounds yummy, Blueberry Pomegranate. Lighthouse is not typically with the salad dressing, it can be found in the produce section of the store.
  • tanya203
    tanya203 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat salad almost every single day. Some Maple Grove is quite good.However the "fat free" Wasabi Dijon was a big disappointment. I know that "fat free" often adds sugar, but it almost tastes like they just added extra sugar and completely forgot the Wasabi. I also like Cape-Cod brand dressings, particularly the sweet and sour poppyseed that comes in at about 80 calories per 2 tablespoons. There is always old faithful Italian and you can even make dressing yourself, don't forget. Sometimes cooking things yourself is the best way to make magic happen.
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Red wine vinegar is my favorite (I don't add oil, just the vinegar). I've noticed that if I use things like feta, hard boiled eggs, and mushrooms they will soak up some of the vinegar to make those bites extra flavorful, yumm!

Like others suggested, salsa is wonderful. I use it when I make taco salads. I also really like using cottage cheese if I want something creamier, and it adds protein to the salad (I really like mixing cottage cheese and hot sauce on my salads, weird I know). Hummus is also good too, but not as low cal of some of the other options.
  • aaronchadwick77
    aaronchadwick77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms takes the cake, 0 calories, carbs, fats.