Anyone doing pole for fitness?

Options
Hay all. Are there any polers out there? I used to do it for years then moved abroad and stopped as couldnt find a class I liked in hamburg. Would love a virtual training buddy to get me back on pole.

Also anyone know how many calories in as pole (tricks session) are burnt?

Geri

Replies

• ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Walking or trekking poles? I have never tried it - looks like a good workout
  • Geribee79
    Geribee79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hay Christina

I mean pole dancing (not the sexy kind more the hanging 14 meters up in air by your toe) not the walking kind although game for trying that too :-)
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    This is going to be one of my rewards to myself. When I get to a smaller size, so that I might actually be able to hold myself up on the pole without sliding down it and hurting myself. :laugh:
    It looks like it could be so much fun, that and a guy friend of mine said if I take the class he will buy me a pole for my house (bonus, LOL).:wink:
  • tda2020
    tda2020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Geri,

I've been doing it for a few months now. Brilliant for working on that flat stomach as well as toned arms. Hard work but I'd reccommend it!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Skype account? I'd be happy to watch you work the pole if that would get you back into fitness. Anything I can do to help my fellow mfp'ers
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I pole vaulted in high school track. It's great for the core, but I wasn't very good at it. The coach decided I was better at the 440 so I guess I ran fast instead.

Speaking of fast, I also tried my hand at racing cars, but never made pole. That would have been awesome. I'd probably be rich and famous if that had worked out.

I thought about a trek to the South Pole, but it's really cost prohibitive. Plus, penguins scare me.

Now, the pole is horizontal and rests across my shoulders. So far, so good.
  • PattyJane167
    PattyJane167 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Love some pole...dancing
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I'm half Polish and my husband does me for fitness. Does that count? :wink:
  • brook0530
    brook0530 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was doing it for a while but moved away from the studio! Its a lot of upper body work but a lot of fun! I'd like to get back to it once I get settled and hopefully find a studio closer to me! Good Luck!
  • Happy_10yr
    Happy_10yr Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Love some pole...dancing

Hmmmm........
  • xfitannie
    Options
    I tried it once and it was a great workout. Studio too far away to make it a regular thing, but it was a lot of fun
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the haters, pole dancing can be a beautiful aerial art and very acrobatic. I challenge any fitness buff out there to try it before you knock it. Just do it for the right reasons....I don't do it for exercise, but as a form of art/dance. If you keep up with your training you will gain strength and flexibility, but it takes time. It's like learning gymnastics, there is a steep learning curve and it takes years of practice to get to an advanced level where you will start to really see visible body changes. But if you are new to exercise or have very little upper body and core strength, you should feel challenged at an early stage with just a couple of spins. The only way to track calories is through a heart rate monitor. It is like any other form of strength training where you won't really 'see' a large amount of calories being burned. Also, be prepared for big biceps and back muscles. You learn to deal with em.
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This thread is Sooooo funny! I kept trying to find a funny post to quote but they were all pretty good. lol

From what I've heard, working pole (in all of it's definitions) is good for fitness.
  • PattyJane167
    Options
    Love some pole...dancing

Hmmmm........

:wink:
  • PattyJane167
    Options
    This thread is Sooooo funny! I kept trying to find a funny post to quote but they were all pretty good. lol

From what I've heard, working pole (in all of it's definitions) is good for fitness.
    From what I know..ummm, what I have been told, all kinds of poles are good.. :)
  • missdoomcookie
    Options
    Pole fitness is amazing. It is not the only thing I do (also hot yoga, barre, and a session of personal training per week that is general fitness), but it is my primary workout and everything else I do is in support of it.

I've been doing it for just shy of a year, and I've gotten ridiculously strong. I never used to be able to do a pull up, but the other day at work I decided to try the pull up bar on a whim and I didn't just do one pull up, I did three.

I'm about to graduate out of basic inversions into intermediate inversions. Doing so requires executing an 8 move combo, three of which are in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sM2OVhx7wt8.
  • missdoomcookie
    Options
    Forgot to note: Don't feel shy about starting pole at ANY size. When you start out, they are going to be teaching you techniques (if they are good) that should work for you regardless of how much weight you are carrying.

Some of the best students at my gym are bigger ladies.

This is a great video from a relatively well known pole instructor who is a bigger gal about getting her start:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMUp3Vkpgbo&feature=youtu.be
  • Geribee79
    Geribee79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hay Guys

Thank you for all the responses and glad i started the post :-)

I did it for about 7 years (and taught in the northwest of england) but as there are no reall studios in Hamburg i havent done it now for about 1 year and my body is really showing the loss :-(.

As I have a pole at home but without the studio environment no motivation to train I was wondering if any of you polers fancied doing some virtual/skype training? I know it means no 'spotters' but because iv lost so much strength thats maybe not a bad thing.

Lol oh dear i can already imagin some of the responses this post is going to get :-)

Geri