Contemplating a breast reduction...need advice!

Options
I love to workout now and I hope that one day I can actually run - now I can run for a few minutes at a time but as my weight is dropping and my stamina is increasing from Zumba and BodyPump I hope that I can run without killing my knees. I know that running is going to be soo hard with a large chest and I have been thinking about this for years but until now (after 19 months of exercising 5-7x a week) I can really see a good reason other than it being hard to find bras and having to special order them. I have lost almost 50 pounds but I still have 60-90 to go depending on how thin I want to get.

Has anyone had a breast reduction? How big were you? what size are you now? would you do it again? did you lose all your weight first?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I will have whatever you want to give away.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I will have whatever you want to give away.
    Kangroo - I am sure you jest! But in case you were serious - you don't want them.
    I know that is a one-dimensional way to look at it - but it is harder to workout with a larger chest, to hold your kids, to carry anything...and honestly if you look at women with bigger breasts- even the very thin ones look heavier because of the bigger breasts. Its kinda like they say with the camera - it adds weight to you that is not even there...well, it is but it adds exponentially more than is really there. I love that I have lost weight but in pictures my face is thinner but my body doesn't look thinner above the waist because there they are - sticking out out out...
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would say that getting a breast reduction is a personal preference. I had a breast reduction when I was 19 and 180lbs. (I am also 5ft. 7.) My size was a 38EEE. The reason I chose to get a reduction was that there is a history of back problems in my family and all the women have very large breasts. By getting the reduction, I hoped to reduce the risk of "inheriting" the back problems. I can't lie and say that vanity also did not play a part in my decision. Through high school and most of college, I was a size 10 pants, but always an XL-XXL shirt and size 14/16 even 18 dress. I never felt comfortable in a dress as the dresses always fit the boobs, but not the waist.

Now at the age of 28, after gaining 40 lbs (and having lost 37 of those pounds!) I am back at (or very near) 180lbs. Last time I was measured, I weighed 190lbs and was a 36G. So I still have large boobs, but now I am more proportional! I am back in my size 10 pants (for the first time since 2006) and now my dress size is a size 12 that definitely fit better around the waist/hips. I also found that I had more back problems after the surgery due to gaining weight and my back problems are virtually gone since losing the weight.

I never once thought that my boobs were "too big" to exercise, at least I never used that as an excuse not to do exercise. (FYI, not accusing the OP of doing that :-)) I did insanity and tae bo (with the bigger boobs) and I just held them down on any jumping exercises. Same for running or looked for a REALLY good sports bra. A GOOD one is hard to find when your boobs are so big. What I learned from MFP was that people were doubling up on the bras! That's what I did so no more holding them down for me, either running or doing insanity!

To make a long story short, if you're contemplating a reduction for better exercise, try a better bra or wear two. You should definitely get it if you think it will prevent health issues later. And if it is for vanity purposes... people get boobs done all the time to get bigger... so go for it!

Also the weight loss from the reduction itself was minimal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it but wait until you are at your goal weight IMO. They'll probably shrink at least some by then. Mine were 'only' 38 DD (but closer with 38DDD really when I was 213 lbs) and I'm down to a totally manageable 36 DD now, with still 22 lbs to lose.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'd wait until you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight then evaluate. Some women lose weight in their breasts closer to their desired size. If you got a reduction now and continued to lose upward of 90 pounds you might be left with nothing.

I lost 40 pounds and went from a 38DD to a 32D (but lost most of them in the last 20lbs), if I had had a reduction half way in I would have been very flat after all was said and done.

Edit: So, basically what I'm saying is, strap them puppies down tight and go run. I know they are a pain, but I can pretty much guarentee they won't be that big when you are at goal!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I agree on the waiting part, unless your size is really hindering your exercise. After 50 pounds, I went from 42DDD to 38DDD, so no real decrease in cup size. yet. I have 30 pounds more to lose, and when I reach goal weight I am having a lift/reduction. I don't want to have it done before I reach goal, because I am afraid if I have it done and then lose more weight, they will sag. :grumble:
    I want to be perky again! It has been too many years since.

So get you a good sport bra, or two, and strap those puppies down, then go for the gold!
  • JewelsinBigD
    Options
    What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I would hate to do it twice - and I certainly don't want them to sag! Plus I want to lose another 60 at least. Anymore than that would be a plain miracle- but who knows I may end up losing it anyway. They have gone down a little - not much in the 47 pounds I have lost- a little around, a little in the cup but nothing significant. And if I lose 60 pounds I should be back to my 32DDD size I was at the last time I was there...but even those seemed too big to me and that was 12 years ago!
  • JulieSpf
    JulieSpf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had one and I would definitely recommend waiting until you are within 10-15 lbs of your goal weight. That way, they can lift them also and you will be able to better assess how much needs to be taken off. You will be glad you waited and glad you had it done. Went from a 38 G to a 36 B/C. What a difference in my life.
  • JewelsinBigD
    Options
    I've had one and I would definitely recommend waiting until you are within 10-15 lbs of your goal weight. That way, they can lift them also and you will be able to better assess how much needs to be taken off. You will be glad you waited and glad you had it done. Went from a 38 G to a 36 B/C. What a difference in my life.
    I am so glad to hear this - I have heard from a few people that they were so thrilled to be without all that weight and girth on their chest which made me think that I wanted to do this! How bad was the recovery?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind something else too, even if you don't seem to lose a cup, you are. For example, when I went from 38 DD to 36 DD, I lost a cup size (the cup of 36DD is the same as the cup of 38D). So even if it seems you're not losing cups, you probably are.
  • katelynquigley08
    Options
    I had a reduction about 6 years ago before my son was born. I went to a 36D I also weighed a lot more than I do now and now after my son I am about a 34 DD. I wear about 3 sports bras to keep everything in place and it helps a lot. If I could go back I wouldn't have gotten one I still hate seeing my scars 22 staples just for one side =/ Unless you are very large and always uncomfortable I would not suggest it. But this is just my opinion.. Specially if your weight is up and down and not where you want to be.... Good Luck
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I always said I would have a reduction when I was done having kids - so I had a reduction in October 2011 and would do it over again! I wasn't at my goal weight - or anywhere close. I don't know my exact size to begin with (because I was wearing the wrong size) but they took 7 pounds off and I'm now a 38DD. I have noticed a huge difference in my ability to workout, and I'm much more comfortable in general.

I was having terrible back pain (2 -3 800mg ibuprofen a day) and my insurance covered the reduction. I have to say it was so much more painful than I thought it would be - and the scarring will always be there. But it was worth it! SO worth it! (sorry just read the post above, I didn't have any staples at all. My scarring is just lines from incisions and most of which I don't see because it's at the crease of the breast, tmi??)

Consult a physician and see what they think. All the women in my family have large breasts and my plastic surgeon didn't seem to think I would need another operation after losing the extra weight.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have not had one, but my mother & sister both did. My mother has since gained weight & has gained quite a lot back in the chest as well. My sister was VERY happy with hers. She had them done after losing about 150 lbs & did her breasts, body lift, & arms at the same time so her recovery was longer than just the reduction would have been. I would think very carefully about it. I like having bigger boobs. I do have the same issues with having to buy a larger size shirt to fit things in. If you are worried about looking heavier, I suggest you rethink how you are dressing. There are companies that cater to those of us who need more room in the chest. Clothes that are more fitted will be more flattering but are harder to find. Shirts that are bigger up top & loose on the bottom will just make you look overall heavier than you are. Here are some good resources:

http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2010/12/clothes-for-curvesbig-breasts-complete.html
    http://www.weirdlyshaped.com/
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind something else too, even if you don't seem to lose a cup, you are. For example, when I went from 38 DD to 36 DD, I lost a cup size (the cup of 36DD is the same as the cup of 38D). So even if it seems you're not losing cups, you probably are.

This is true as well. I have lost 8-9 inches in my chest as I've lost weight. So even though I'm still an H cup, I'm much, much smaller than I was.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction 12 yrs ago when I was 21. I was 160 lbs ish, size 10/12 pants and had horrible back problems. I grew up on a ranch and rode horses on a daily basis, so all that bouncing took it's toll. I was a 38 DD, after the reduction it was a 38C/D.. They took a pound from one side and a pound and a quarter from the other. Since I was so young and hadn't had kids the dr wouldn't go any smaller b/c of this. I did have issues with breastfeeding my first 2 kiddos who are now 6 and 3, I had to supplement. My 3rd who is almost 1 I did much better with and exclusively bf past 6 months :).

Needless to say between weight gain I was almost 200 when I did get preggo with my first, having kids, and more weight gain. My highest was 250 in Jan of this year. I am at a 40DD or 38DDD down from a 42DDD. Even though I am still really big busted I think it was a good choice for me because of the painful back issues I had (I haven't had any since)

IMO I would wait till you are close to your goal weight. I told my hubby a few yrs ago that if I got to my goal weight and still had big boobs I would want another reduction. I am now confident in my boobs, even though the rest of me is still a work in progress.

BTW I can hardly see my scars Vitamin E was my best friend :)
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear this - I have heard from a few people that they were so thrilled to be without all that weight and girth on their chest which made me think that I wanted to do this! How bad was the recovery?

The recovery wasn't bad for me. IT just really makes you notice how all of your muscles are connected :wink:
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery about 6 years ago....I went from a 48 double I to a 44B Best thing I ever did for myself....I could not lay on my back because I felt like I had this huge weight on my neck...They look a total of 8 lbs. I would do it again!!!!!!

Edited for recovery.
    My recovery was good...I have a low tolerance for pain and stopped pain meds after 2 days.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm no help, I want an augmentation. haha
  • ananams
    ananams Posts: 1
    Options
    I had one when I was 23 (now I'm 48.) I'm a D now; then I was a few cup sizes larger than a DD. I was not overweight; it was all hereditary. It was a great experience for me. I could never shop in stores like Victoria's Secret, I could not find enough support in bathing suits, my shirts always pulled or came unbuttoned. Also, my bra straps would pop on occasion.

As far as the surgery itself, I did not take pain medicine after I was released from the hospital. I was uncomfortable, but managed with Tylenol. It was weird to have the stitches removed. It felt like bugs crawling on my chest. They probably have stitches that dissolve now. The scars are not visible because of their location.

Another part of the experience you should be aware of is that you have to wear a special bra afterwards and keep the areas clean. You should make sure that you are able to devote the time to cleaning yourself properly so you don't get an infection.

I had three kids and I was still able to nurse them. Once they stopped nursing, I went back to a size D. They still look pretty good after so many years.

My advice is to research plastic surgeons and interview them before you make a decision. My doctor would not operate on people whose size was only due to their weight. If he believed that your size would go down if you lost weight, he would not accept you as a patient. Also, talk to your insurance company ahead of time so you can make sure it is covered.

Good luck.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm no help, I want an augmentation. haha
    Awesome :)