is too much protien bad for weightloss?

Options
Hi,

I seem to keep going over my protien allowance because I am always trying to make up enough calories without going too high over my sugar limit but that then leads to me eating high protien foods.

Although my calories are what I want them to be, my protien is always over my recomended amount.

does any one know how much this matters (I find it easy to go over my protien by 20g)

Replies

• disnyfan
    disnyfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me...and I'm always under my carbs....
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your carb/protein/fat ratio under the goals section. Protein is good for you, but your question is a good one. 200 protein in a day, probably isn't good for weight loss
  • amscobra
    Options
    I am ALWAYS over on protein too! between 20-40, it drives me nuts.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've read that your protein goal should be 1g of protein per 1 lb of body weight. (not the weight you are now, but your target weight or at what is considered a healthy weight for you
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    is that protien per day? xx
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Yes. So, if your target weight is 140, you should eat 140g of protein per day. It's hard to consume that much sometimes. And that's why a lot of people use protein powders, etc. I don't follow the rule myself, that's just what I've read on nutrition sites where people are into really cutting body fat and retaining and or building muscle. I just try to consume over 100g per day.

I noticed your protein goal is pretty low and almost identical to your fat grams per day. I would suggest bumping your protein goal up and knock a little off your carbs and fat.

I would say protein should be around 30% of your calories.
  • goohan
    Options
    ok, i will thanks for the advice, all my target values just come from this website of looseing 1lb a week, i clicked on recomended for all of it because i wasnt too sure what the best was xx
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Being over on protein is OK. Especially if you are doing any kind of weights etc its great for building muscle which burns more fat. The goal for protein is a min you should shoot for. Don't worry about going over. I actually have mine set now to try for a min 220g protein a day out of my 1500 calories. I don't usually make it though as I tend to like to add in some more carbs for more energy. :)

So long as you are eating balanced and your protein sources are not also causing your fat counts to be too high (think - lots of protein in hamburgers :smile: ) it's fine.
  • bathori
    Options
    Too many calories are hat you need to be most worried about. If you're going over in protein, but under in calories, you will be fine. Make sure you drink enough water to help your body process it.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    No.

Macros are important, but not necessary to follow for weight loss. It is calories in vs calories out. If anything, you're better off going over on protein and under on carbs, protein helps to build muscle and sustain you and make you crave less junk.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    I've found that most calculators underestimate the protein we need per day. But, perhaps those recommendations are for people that don't really exercise or workout. Protein is extremely important when you exercise/workout. It's needed to help your muscles recover from your activity.
  • catesalim
    Options
    The higher protien will actually help you feel less hungry and fueled longer. It doesn't effect your blood sugars the way carbs do. I loose weight the best (and actually feel my best) when I'm following a higher protien diet.
  • goohan
    Options
    thats really good to know because ive sometimes decided against a high protien meal eg quonia worrying it was too much protien but now i know its ok, if not good, I can eat all the beans, lentils and fish I like xxx
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I took a nutrition class in college, and remember the professor saying that any extra protein we consumer, over and above the minimum we need, turns into fat and gets stored as reserve. Hope this helps!
  • goohan
    Options
    its so difficult to balace it all isnt it, ill just have to keep trying xx
  • mightymraz
    Options
    Great question - I will stay tuned looking for the answer as well. I go over the protein and Vitamin C limits every single day because I take a women's multivitamin. According to my log, I am at 100% as soon as I take the one pill... before any meals or even waking up good.