I love sardiiiiiiiiines!

Options
I periodically will post about this and feel the need to do it again...I totally absolutely unequivocally LOVE sardines. There is a stigma out there about sardines being gross and stinky and I gotta say, as a person who does not eat meat but eats fish and who is also living a low-carb life, they are GREAT sources of protein for me. Yes they are stinky but lots of things are stinky and yet delicious IMO!

They are delicious, filling and extremely affordable!

I love love love sardines.

Who's with me?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Check :happy:
  • jkoenig1980
    jkoenig1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Me. I started eating them about 3 months ago after reading an article about "healthy food that no one eats" or something. At firs I was a little weary but once I tried them I like them a lot. Actually I eat around a can a day.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't think that they are stinky at all, they smells pretty good! Huh? O_o
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    They don't come up to often but if anyone has a chance to find fresh sardines, give them a try. I normally BBQ them after a marinade of olive oil, garlic and a few herbs, or add ginger and soy to this as well. They are tasty.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Allright fellow sardine-lovers!!!!

Yes fresh sardines are awesome!!!

I agree that they don't seem stinky to me but ask around and you'll see that most people think they stink (my husband included - I just put the container in a zip lock when I'm done and BOOM, no stink :-))
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you do low carb they are a godsend. Tesco and sainsburys do one with sunflower oil and chilli, so tasty:happy:
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    They're great...and I never have to worry about sharing them with anyone else :)
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Me me!
    After years of avoiding the "stinky fish" my BF tried to push on me I now eat them regularly. It kind of backfired because now he has to share his sardines with me :) We've also been trying other kinds of canned fish like mackerel. The fresh sardines are great when we can get them, simply broiled or grilled with lemon an herbs. I keep suggesting sardines whenever MFPers ask about quick, simple meals but I'm not sure if I'm making any converts.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love them. I also love "kippers" (which are usually herring I think, but also come in a can.)

My husband makes me eat them outside and brush my teeth before he'll kiss me. But when we're camping all those rules go out the window. And the pups love to share them with me.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    never tried them, and not going to
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've never tried sardines. But I love anchovies so I might have to give sardines a go.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I love sardines too. I should eat them more often. They are full of Omega 3's just like salmon.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love them too! And if you get the kind with the bones left in they are an excellent source of calcium!
    Take a couple of smoked sardines in olive oil (Trader Joe's are really good) and mash them into half a plain baked potato. Or make a super quick soup of hot roasted green tea, leftover brown rice (or the Uncle Ben rice cups that you can nuke in a minute or so), dried seaweed, and sardines. Yum! Really good for breakfast!
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I love them too! Try making Fisherman's eggs with them. You basically just bake eggs and veggies overtop of them. Such a yummy protein packed breakfast.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have been teased on this site that I eat a lot of sardines. I love them and do not :: have to take fish pills.:wink:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    I'm not crazy about them cold, but a friend showed me a great way to eat them. Fry them in the oil that is in the tin and drizzle on some lemon juice.. Makes a great basis for a store cupboard supper.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Some great tips! Thanks for sharing!!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I love sardines, too and eat them very frequently atop my freshly steamed mixed veggies of broccoli, bruss sprouts, carrots, cauliflower and then topped with sliced acocado and a sprinkling of cherry tomatoes.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yeah...more for you, I guess. I hate the little *kitten*.

Which is odd, because I like anchovies.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Sardines are amazing. I love to have them with mustard!