Weighted bars at gym?

Options
I'm new to the gym and have been noticing a bunch of weighted, foam covered bars in the women's workout area. Just wondering how to use them...if they are as effective as using barbells (which are not in the women's area)...and if any of you have seen results with using them? I have to admit they are not as intimidating as barbells and would like to try them out....I just don't want to waste my time if they aren't effective.

Thanks

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Foam covered bars? Do you mean removable foam pads over the barbell? People often put foam pads over the bar when they are doing exercises like barbell squats and barbell squats. This is a big mistake and can be dangerous. The foam pad can make the barbell unstable when you place it on your upper back, so if you can remove the foam pad, remove it.
  • LannyM74
    LannyM74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No these are definitely meant to ave the foam. It's very thin foam...presumably just to make the bars softer. I poked around online and these look similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-Tools-Padded-Weighted-Bar/dp/B003TPQ4T4/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Still not sure how to use them effectively.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    She's talking about the light weight bars that people use for various light weight work. And yes, they will be as effective as barbells, barbells that weigh a maximum of 15 pounds.

My advice is twofold. Don't bother with those things and avoid anything called a "women's workout area"
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Find a gym that doesn't have a "women's workout area" and instead has a free weight area where everyone is welcome. Most commercial gyms are like that so it shouldn't be too difficult to find. Lift weights.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Find a gym that doesn't have a "women's workout area" and instead has a free weight area where everyone is welcome. Most commercial gyms are like that so it shouldn't be too difficult to find. Lift weights.

^This. The lightweight bars are effective for next to zero workouts. Barbells and dumbbells are better.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of these until a few days ago when I saw them at a sporting goods store.

I thought they were for aerobics classes or dance.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Women's workout area?? :huh: :grumble: :noway: I'm insulted. There's no difference in how a woman should work out from how a man should work out.

Edited for spelling error from typing too fast....
  • mary29033
    Options
    LOL I just avoid the word "workout" altogether. I get enough of that at work every day.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, those are used in various classes that can be taught at gyms as well. I've never seen them just out in the gym though. Of course, my gym doesn't have a "women's weight area" either.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If you're referring to these I think they're worthwhile.

barbell.jpg

If it's just the foam covered pipe then I wouldn't bother picking it up.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the gym and have been noticing a bunch of weighted, foam covered bars in the women's workout area. Just wondering how to use them...if they are as effective as using barbells (which are not in the women's area)...and if any of you have seen results with using them? I have to admit they are not as intimidating as barbells and would like to try them out....I just don't want to waste my time if they aren't effective.

Thanks

We have several of them in the stretching area at my gym. My trainer calls them rubber bars. He has had me use them for a few different things...like putting one on my shoulders and doing lunges....or doing light weight clean and presses. Personally, I think they would be good to use to get correct form before graduating to the barbell.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'd be offended if my gym had a "women's workout area" that was somehow different from a normal workout area...and no barbells doesn't cut it, IMHO.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If you're referring to these I think they're worthwhile.

barbell.jpg

If it's just the foam covered pipe then I wouldn't bother picking it up.

This... I started with these when I started lifting heavy.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'd be offended if my gym had a "women's workout area" that was somehow different from a normal workout area...and no barbells doesn't cut it, IMHO.

I know a couple LA Fitness gyms that have it. Kinda silly if you ask me. Though if someone has low-esteem I guess it would be a good place to start. Though I think its sexist and I want a guys workout room to balance it out.
  • JuiceBars
    JuiceBars Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I took a body pump class a few years ago and we used those bars. They were uses for many reps at low weight for more of a cardio workout. And as far as a women's gym goes, there are some women who feel more comfortable without guys around while they are exercising. Plus, the women's gym at Golds has smaller machines for smaller frames. They are what some women like....just sayin'.
  • JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    my gym has a women's workout room but it has a regular barbell that i use because nobody else is ever in there and I don't have to share. as far as foam bars....ehh don't see the point.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of these until a few days ago when I saw them at a sporting goods store.

I thought they were for aerobics classes or dance.

yes, they used them at our gym for group classes, mostly floor work and pilates styled weighted workouts. I personally don't have a use for them but I can see where they might have their place for beginners in certain situations :drinker:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    pretty useless

dg1tcua.jpg
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    pretty useless

dg1tcua.jpg

They look pretty though. It's a rainbow of uselessness.