Protein Powders?

Options
I want to start making protein shakes, but I have no idea what to buy, which brand is best, which ones taste like *kitten*, etc... I am loathe to just go out and buy a container of something I will end up not using and throwing out.

Suggestions/recommendations?

Replies

• emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein. Extreme Milk Chocolate or Double Rich Chocolate flavors.

Reason: I think it's higher quality than other brands and mix it with almond milk and it tastes like chocolate milk. It tastes so good I sometimes have one for dessert.

It tastes pretty damn decent mixed with water as well.
  • momsgettinhealthy
    momsgettinhealthy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Whey Protein that I get from Wal-mart. It's about $15-18 a tub and lasts me about a month with 1 shake a day. It tastes pretty good if you mix it with milk. I made the mistake of mixing with water once and will never do that again. Yuck! It has 30g protein per scoop and seems to be pretty well rounded. It also comes in at least 4 different flavors.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've found with protein powders you kinda have to try a couple before you find one that works with your pallet. I try and stick with ones that don't have a ton of artifical additives in it. I just recently read an article about how egg white protein is the best for us as it's the closest to real food, same with hemp protein powder but I haven't tried either of those quite yet. I usally stick with vanilla or chocolate so I can mix it with other things too.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein. Extreme Milk Chocolate or Double Rich Chocolate flavors.

Reason: I think it's higher quality than other brands and mix it with almond milk and it tastes like chocolate milk. It tastes so good I sometimes have one for dessert.

This.. I love all the ON Gold Standard flavors :)
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The one that has tasted great is BSN dessert, its thick and tasty. Muscle milk also was a fave. I only drink vegan ones and those take time to get used to.
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've used the EAS Chocolate Soy Protein Powder and mix it with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk...... very yummy and filling!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You can get Trutein or you can waste your money. Your choice!
  • cre8freedom
    cre8freedom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like Kaizen right now
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love BSN banana creme pudding flavored protein powder!
    I use it to make homemade protein shakes (usually strawberry banana) and it's sooo good! Also really good just blended with milk, too.

http://www.amazon.com/BSN-Dessert-Protein-Banana-Pudding/dp/B0011E8Q3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376068534&sr=8-1&keywords=bsn+banana
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    phd diet whey :P vanilla or white chocolate flavour ! nom
  • Dr_Kirk
    Dr_Kirk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You need to get some to try out for digestion purposes first. Some people have problems digesting certain ones.

EAS, stay away.. the products have become low grade.

BSN - syntha-6 pretty good tasting, a little higher in cals

Lean Body - another pretty good tasting one, lower in cals than BSN

Muscle Milk Light - pretty good tasting too, I would get a single serving sample of this and BSN syntha-6, and Lean Body to see which you like better and which doesnt upset your stomach

I use a whey that has it's protein isolated from free range hormone free cows in new zeland, or their Paleo protein, best one for digestion on the market! (has probiotics and NO Whey, pea based) - MerrikhMedical.com .. shameless plug, but its great. could send you a free sample if you private message me your shipping address. :)

I recommend using Almond milk to mix any of the powders you get, it has lower cals than milk & soy, and excessive use won't increase any hormone levels or negatively on your digestion.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar protein powders. They are whey based & the brand most recommended by physicians & dietitians. They offer a bunch of flavors. My favorite are Caribbean Cooler (pineapple coconut), grape & chocolate. I add them to all kinds of food, but also drink the Caribbean Cooler & grape flavors in just water. I put 1-2 scoops in 32 ounces of water, then add some Dasani Water enhancer to increase the flavor. Folks also rave about "Fuzzy Navel" flavor, but I can't vouch for that flavor, as I HATE peaches. They are quite good! You can get them at the Vitamin Shoppe, but also on several bariatric sites on line. If you want to try a flavor before purchasing a large container, the Vitamin Shoppe sells individual packet, which equal 1 scoop of powder. There is also an internet site called My Bariatric Pantry, which sells a grab bag of multiple different flavors--a great way to find which flavor you like best.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Wow- thanks for all the replies! I guess I'll try a few and see what works best for me, but at least y'all have ruled out a few that I've seen on shelves.

Thank you again! :)
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    You can get Trutein or you can waste your money. Your choice!

I have tried a bunch and Trutein is soooooooooo much better than anything else I've tried. It is also a fairly healthy mix of protein types and have only 5g of carbs for 25g of protein all in about 125 calories (depending on flavor). I have tried chocolate truffle and chocolate peanut butter cup. I mix them with water and they taste great.

My new fad diet is going to be trutein shakes and beer!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I like my Intek, it has 34g per serving, but it is more expensive. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is hard to beat, Syntha-6 makes what many consider to be the best tasting (but has more calories). I am currently debating switching to either Gold Standard or Syntha-6. You can use this website to help narrow down your choices based on what you want

http://protein-powder.findthebest.com/
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

This.. I love all the ON Gold Standard flavors :)

Didn't really like the Mint chocolate too much, but aside from the Double Chocolate, Mocha Cappucino is good. My fav so far, though, is Rocky Road.

And I'm lactose intolerant but the whey isolates haven't messed with it at all.