Lifting and losing weight

Options
If I start strength training will I still be able to lose the last 20lbs? Or will I gain because of muscle mass? I planned on eating around 1800. I'm 5'7" and 160lbs.

Replies

• MistbornVin
    MistbornVin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on your body type.
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    Female? Don't even think about lifting weights. As soon as you touch the bar you will turn into she-schwarzenegger.
  • MistbornVin
    MistbornVin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well aren't you a spoil sport. I say go for it, especially girls.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You will not gain any remarkable muscle mass if you're eating at a calorie deficit. Additionally, it's pretty difficult for a woman to gain significant muscle weight without actively trying.

There are lots of women on MFP who lift heavy and have very lean bodies.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I have read this advise a lot here and makes lot of sense. You can never gain muscle/fat while on deficit. So lifting will just help you retain muscle while losing only fat(assuming you are eating at deficit) so go for it ASAP and good luck
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit, you can lift and lose weight. This will help you to become stronger and maintain lean body mass as you burn fat. After you have lost the fat you want to lose, you can up your calories and try to gain muscle mass. You could also eat at maintenance, lift heavy, and burn fat, but this might take longer.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Eat at deficit and lift away!