Stuck at 174lbs!

Options
2»

Replies

• blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on the same island as you and I've been here at 173 (floating a pound or two up/down) for the past 7+ weeks. I've been taking the advice I've found online, varying my calories, varying my workouts, etc. but I'm still stuck. And, from what I've read, that's not uncommon. I'm just trying to be patient until it breaks. On a positive note, I feel great, have good energy, am getting stronger every day, and am not starving myself so I can happily sustain this for the long haul. Good luck!!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some sound advice. How do I work out how many calories I should be eating for my activity rate though??

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you have increased your calorie burns daily.. you likely need to eat more. Your body is likely holding on to the calories you do eat so they have something to burn off. Maybe try eating 1500 or so.. I have read a lot of people state that a 1200 calorie diet isn't working for them, and research shows it can also ruin your metabolism if you work out to much. Try increasing it a bit.. I eat 1800+ cals a day and was even at 2000+ a day and tend to lose 1.5 lbs a week or so. So don't be scared of food ;)
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am doing the same and I have checked where my TDEE is and it puts me at eating more calories, so I am going to try that to see how things go by upping them. Everyone is different, keep trying until you find your right formula and don't forget to re-evaluate it upon additional weight loss.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    . I'm in a similar place. Wouldn't it be nice to hear somebody say "Here's what I did and this is how long it look to start losing again..."
    I know everybody is different but can I get a testimony? Anybody?
    I think MFP members are just tired of this question as it is asked often.

If you search the forums, your answer is answered frequently as well.
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more.

^^^^^^ THIS
    I was stuck at the same! Upped my calories and now I'm at 167! Good luck!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If you have increased your calorie burns daily.. you likely need to eat more. Your body is likely holding on to the calories you do eat so they have something to burn off. Maybe try eating 1500 or so.. I have read a lot of people state that a 1200 calorie diet isn't working for them, and research shows it can also ruin your metabolism if you work out to much. Try increasing it a bit.. I eat 1800+ cals a day and was even at 2000+ a day and tend to lose 1.5 lbs a week or so. So don't be scared of food ;)
    What research says you can ruin your metabolism by working out too much? You may want to talk to the trainers at a gym about that. What is "too much?" I work out 7 to 9 hours a week, have lost weight, gained muscle, changed my shape, improved my heart function, and increased my energy levels and endurance.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    1200 calories? You bet be 4'10" way too low on calories. You're crazy! Eat more young lady. You should be eating at least 1500calories at your weight.

Also, as KPEDERSEN3 said, you CAN"T GAIN MUSCLE while losing weight unless, a) you're a total noob, b) maintain a slight caloric deficit and even that is completely hard.
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in the 170s for what felt like forever!!! What got me out of it was realising that I had become complacent when it came to logging. I was still logging all of my main meals and snacks, but was mindlessly eating an Oreo, or drinking a few extra glasses of milk (I love milk), or was just picking at random things. I think it's because I'd lost about 30 pounds at that point and people were noticing so I was like 'hey I'm doing this well, I can afford to have <insert food here>'.
    I'm not saying that's the case for you, but what got me out of the 170s was realising I had to be more honest with myself. I stopping picking at things and bumped up the intensity of my workouts (at the time it was fitnessblender videos) and my weight started dropping again. I was also eating 1200 calories a day. I then seemed to fly through the 160s!

In short - make sure you're being honest with yourself and be patient. The weight will drop eventually if you're eating correctly and working out.

Feel free to add me, and good luck!