Eating Habits During Menstrual Cycle

Options
I've been finding that during my menstrual time of the month, it's not so easy staying focused on eating healthy! Iusually get strong desires for sugar, and I don't mean chocolate! Chocolate I can do without! However, my sugar fix can only be satisfied with gourmet flavored jellybeans, and lately I've been craving them like crazy! So much, I feel like I"m about to :explode:! There's a certain brand that I like to purchase and I've only find them at Walmart or Kmart. Luckily while shopping at Kmart yesterday, the store didn't have any in stock and Walmart is too far from my home for me to go shopping. Nonetheless, what do you (women) do when this time of the month is making you want to eat certain things? Do you give in, walk away or simply ignore it?

Replies

• RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    It can be very hard to ignore it. Usually if this happens to me, I will try to satisfy my craving with something more nutritious such as "Nature's Candy". Apples, grapes, strawberries, kiwi,. I do have those days when I just simply want chocolate though. :)
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I crave carbs more, not too bad as I try to keep them lower all other times, so a nice slice of toast and chocolate spread as a snack, or a bit extra rice with my chilli keeps me quite happy! :smile:
  • monstr0sity
    Options
    I made a topic about this a while ago. Isn't it such a horrible time?! for me it last 2 weeks :( and I absolutely CANNOT control my cravings.

My advice is just up your workout more. If I eat something I feel guilty about, I'd do an extra 15mins. I know I'd be better off not eating those cookies at ALL but I honestly cannot stop myself so this is my solution lol.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i just generally want to eat constantly when its my TOM, I find it hard to not feel disgusted with my appetite at this time.

No answers sorry
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I may be on the other end here, but if you have a craving for jellybeans, instead of eating 10 other things I would eat 1/2 serving of them and see if that takes off your edge. If not then eat another .25 of that serving. Depriving yourself of such a craving will only drive you to eat more calories of other stuff you don't really want. Of course just make sure the jellybeans fit in your calorie allowance for the day!! Good luck...TOM Is just around the corner for me too..BLAH
  • sgreene87
    sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For me, I am hungry all the time two to three days prior. I just can't seem to get full and my stomach growls and carrys on like it's a toddler throwing a tantrum, even after I eat a normal meal. Then several days after I am hardly hungry at all.
  • LANIECE1
    LANIECE1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this topic, it was made me feel so much better, this has been the worst week ever for me. Now I can go take these two hour zumba classes tonite with confidence. Thx
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've been finding that during my menstrual time of the month, it's not so easy staying focused on eating healthy! Iusually get strong desires for sugar, and I don't mean chocolate! Chocolate I can do without! However, my sugar fix can only be satisfied with gourmet flavored jellybeans, and lately I've been craving them like crazy! So much, I feel like I"m about to :explode:! There's a certain brand that I like to purchase and I've only find them at Walmart or Kmart. Luckily while shopping at Kmart yesterday, the store didn't have any in stock and Walmart is too far from my home for me to go shopping. Nonetheless, what do you (women) do when this time of the month is making you want to eat certain things? Do you give in, walk away or simply ignore it?

Portion your jelly beans into separate baggies, all weighed out and ready to log. That way when you're craving some you can grab a bag and relax without having to worry about eating 8 million of them.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I had a bad week this past week because of hormones. I have been off sugar long enough that I don't give in to sweets but I've been pigging out on protein this week.

for the jelly bean craving maybe try something like frozen grapes and frozen cherries (pit them first).
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that just cannot get full for about the first two days. I feel like I could eat all the things. I don't really craves sweets (which is weird, because I love them). I crave red meat and bread. Give me a big fat juicy steak and some bread and butter and I'm happy. Or I might trade my house for a thick cheeseburger. :smile:

Truth be told, I just give my body what it wants, within reason. I try not to eat a lot of red meat (because I have high cholesterol), but sometimes a steak just hits the spot. I did it this week, in fact. Ended my day about 700 calories over. But it will all even out by the end of the week so I'm ok with it.
  • beverlyweaver73
    beverlyweaver73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me, I am hungry all the time two to three days prior. I just can't seem to get full and my stomach growls and carrys on like it's a toddler throwing a tantrum, even after I eat a normal meal. Then several days after I am hardly hungry at all.

Oh my goodness! I was like this on vacation this past week! I could not figure out why I was so hungry, and then it dawned on me that my TOM was right around the corner. I just started working out like crazy to combat it.
  • heidicalif
    heidicalif Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Honestly I go with it, but cut myself off after a small serving. If I completely abstain I will end up binging on a bunch of other stuff looking for a level of satisfaction I'm never going to find. It drives my husband crazy that I can walk away after a bite or two --he can't. Doesn't work for everyone.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel exhausted all day which makes me want to eat. I just have to drink a lot of water and ignore the cravings.
  • inner_beauty
    inner_beauty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I crave salt and sugar a week to days right before. Its like I just can't get enough. While I'm on I cramp so bad that I don't want to eat. I'll just sip on warm liquids and drink lots of water for the first 2 days. May eat one decent meal at some point in the day. On days 2-4 is when I have the strongest craving for chocolate, and it can NOT be ignored. I feel like a crazy person and I think my husband agrees lol. By day five I'm ready to eat up everything in sight.