At home exercise options?

Options
I will go to the gym, and really enjoy exercising outside, but sometimes I would like to be able to do something from my own home.

The dilemma: I live on the second floor, and really don't have the option to be jumping around (I live in a very old house, the entire place would probably be shaking!!)

I also have a varied schedule, and often times its dark out by the time I get around to exercising (whether it be early in the morning, or late at night) so I am not comfortable being outside by myself working out.

I purchased a few Jillian Michaels DVDs that I really enjoy, but find that there's not a whole lot I can do about my situation (I modify, but that really cramps the workouts style),

Does anyone have any recommendations? Maybe a similar situation? Perhaps crunches/squats are my only hope, but it would be nice to have a video to follow!!

Replies

• spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Look into Tiffany Rothe on youtube. I love her "booty shaking waist workout" routine, which is NO jumping (my shin splints rejoice!) and no back and forth on feet. Your feet are planted, and you're working your waist and hips for 10 minutes.

A lot of her videos are sans footwork and/or sans jumping, and all of them are about 10-11 minutes. Love her for this.
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender has a quiet cardio routine for apartment dwellers. I haven't tried this particular one but I really like their workouts in general
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Quiet-Cardio-Workout-Low-Impact-Apartment-Cardio-Workout/dm/
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Look into Tiffany Rothe on youtube. I love her "booty shaking waist workout" routine, which is NO jumping (my shin splints rejoice!) and no back and forth on feet. Your feet are planted, and you're working your waist and hips for 10 minutes.

A lot of her videos are sans footwork and/or sans jumping, and all of them are about 10-11 minutes. Love her for this.

Great suggestion!! Exactly the type of movement I'm looking for at home!! I will be subscribing to her :)
  • JskC1893
    Options
    Fitness blender has a quiet cardio routine for apartment dwellers. I haven't tried this particular one but I really like their workouts in general
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Quiet-Cardio-Workout-Low-Impact-Apartment-Cardio-Workout/dm/

What a smart idea. I'm glad others have the same problem!! Where I used to live we were the bottom floor, which i completely hated but now now I would have appreciated being on concrete rather than hardwood!!
  • JskC1893
    Options

Wow, thats really a nice website, I'm glad you shared!!
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yoga is nice and quiet too, there are tons of videos out there (I like the Yoga for Weight Loss one).
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Fitness blender has a bit of everything. Their strengths are HIIT type routines, strength training, high intensity cardio, low impact cardio, all are fabulous. They do have pilates and yoga "inspired" workouts but that's not where they excel. Whatever you chose, you will get a great workout. Oh my goodness, I've had more aches since I discovered them three weeks ago, lol. All good aches. ;-)
  • JskC1893
    Options
    Yoga is nice and quiet too, there are tons of videos out there (I like the Yoga for Weight Loss one).

Definitely a good suggestion!! A friend of mine on MFP suggested a particular video, so now that two of you suggested I should probably check it out!!
  • JskC1893
    Options

Fitness blender has a bit of everything. Their strengths are HIIT type routines, strength training, high intensity cardio, low impact cardio, all are fabulous. They do have pilates and yoga "inspired" workouts but that's not where they excel. Whatever you chose, you will get a great workout. Oh my goodness, I've had more aches since I discovered them three weeks ago, lol. All good aches. ;-)

I'm shocked I've never come across it!! I am definitely foreseeing pain in my future
  • kitsiekitty
    Options
    Bumping this, because my busted knee can't take the jumping too much too. :D
  • JskC1893
    Options

Great share!! I will bookmark that page (maybe even print ??) Thanks!!
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Bumping for all the good ideas
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Great share!! I will bookmark that page (maybe even print ??) Thanks!!

You are welcome I am bookmarking a few things from this thread too, due to work I am actually at my most up and about over night and need things I can try in the front room that won't wake my bf up and shake the house about :)
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I down loaded an app called "daily workout" It has lots of exercises that work your whole body. It also doesn't require A lot of jumping/running. Good luck! I do it with a 25 pound weight.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JskC1893
    Options
    I down loaded an app called "daily workout" It has lots of exercises that work your whole body. It also doesn't require A lot of jumping/running. Good luck! I do it with a 25 pound weight.

I'll look into it for sure!! Thanks :bigsmile:
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    PopSugar and BeFit youtube channels have a lot of video workout options. I've recently had to cut back on my high impact activities due to injury, but have found several workouts on those channels.

It doesn't seem like a particularly popular workout, but the entire Jillian Michaels 6 Weeks to Six Pack Abs workout 1 is on the BeFit youtube channel and it doesn't require any jumping. Level 2 only has 1 (or was it 2?) exercises that are higher impact, and they're not as intense as, say, tuck-jumps.

I like to do level 1 and 2 back-to-back for a more thorough workout. =)
  • kkaiser104
    Options

This is great and exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Look up Jessica Smith on youtube. She's pretty good :-) I think she lives on the second floor too.. Lol!