Need suggestions for adding MORE fat to my diet

Options
I am currently on a plan of 162g of protein, 162g of carbs and 60g of fat in a total of 1850 calories a day. I am meeting my protein needs and meeting (or exceeding) my carb goals. My problem is that most days I end up about 30g short of my fat goal. I used to think this was no big deal but I think it is becoming a problem over time. I eat a lot of protein shakes, chicken breast, egg beaters, veggie sausage, garden burgers, greek yogurt, fruit (melon and berries mostly). I have learned over time to cook with little or no oil (usually pam spray). I also cut out red meat a year ago to help with lowering bad cholesterol.

I need to trade some carbs for fat.

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a plan of 162g of protein, 162g of carbs and 60g of fat in a total of 1850 calories a day. I am meeting my protein needs and meeting (or exceeding) my carb goals. My problem is that most days I end up about 30g short of my fat goal. I used to think this was no big deal but I think it is becoming a problem over time. I eat a lot of protein shakes, chicken breast, egg beaters, veggie sausage, garden burgers, greek yogurt, fruit (melon and berries mostly). I have learned over time to cook with little or no oil (usually pam spray). I also cut out red meat a year ago to help with lowering bad cholesterol.

I need to trade some carbs for fat.

So, in terms of adding fat, stop eating things like egg beaters, and eat regular eggs. Switch out veggie sausage, go with pork sausage. Eat butter. Switch out a melon for some avocado.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    nuts and nut butters, peanut butter, avocados, olive oil, and butter.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk. Makes great cream soups. I used about a cup of Aroy-D (no added chemicals and stuff) to one head of cauliflower or pound of asparagus. Depending on how much water you add, it can make around 6-10 bowls of nutritious, dreamy, to-die-for soup.

And ... there is a theory that this type of fat (medium chain fatty acids) does not go straight to the thighs. I like that in a fat lol.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Use olive oil in sauteeing and veggies! Delicious!
    Eat sardines in olive oil or tuna in olive oil.
    Peanut butter also has very healthy fat in it if its natural or organic.
    Nuts of all varieties contain healthy fat!
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    My question is why did you cut out oil?

It makes things taste better and it's a fantastic source of HEALTHY fats. Olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil...those are all examples of ways to get healthy fats and add flavor to dishes. Homemade salad dressing a great clean way to add fat and flavor to your diet...

Peanut butter is also good and pretty low carb ( I like Trader Joe's Extra Crunchy or PB Co's Crunchy both are natural brands)...they have some bars out there such as the ones made my Atkin's that have a higher amount of fat and a lower amount of carbs so you could try something like that. Meat (hamburger, sirloin, pork etc) is also a good source of fat/protein with very little carbs...cheese as well.
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    instead of pam use a little bit of virgin coconut oil. it has proven health benefits and is much less processed than spray ick out of a can. It tastes great too!
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    People already gave some great ideas. I would just add some cheese (like add feta cheese to your salad or sprinkle parmesan cheese on your chicken when you cook it, or just eat string cheese or sliced cheese, etc), make sure you eat Full-fat stuff, none of that fat-free or low-fat stuff.
    Also, try pork rinds as a snack. Lots of fat.
    And don't forget the BACON!!!!!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    classico pesto sauce is a great and flavorful way to add fat and I started eating trail mix too. the kind with the chocolate candies in it have a pretty good fat to protein ratio.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nuts, avocado
  • cjlarsen77
    cjlarsen77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts. They are high in protein, high in the good kinds of fats. Almonds are great, but almost any kind of nut you like will do. Or add Chia seeds (about the size of sesame seeds, black, and almost tasteless - slight nutty flavor) to your salads or cereal, etc. Or ground flax. Chia and flax are both high in omega 3 fats. Eat oats - also fairly high in good fats.
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    -avocado slices wrapped in prosciutto...yum!
    -marinate your meats in homemade, olive oil-based marinades
    -pecan-crusted chicken or fish almondine
  • patrickmathews
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the replies and suggestions. I have become so accustomed to eating everything low or nonfat it's kind of hard to add it back. I have tried avocado with my eggs and on sandwiches, I am also using some canola oil when cooking. I don't eat pork so I have to settle for turkey bacon when I do eat bacon. I have become an unintentional birdatarian - I really don't eat any meat except chicken and occasionally turkey. I cut out red meat and I've never really liked seafood. My family never really ate pork growing up so I'm jut not used to it and the flavor just isn't my thing.

Once I started watching what I was eating and I cut out red meat, my fat intake sank. Over the last 90 days, my average daily intake is 28 grams.

Any suggestions for fat additions to protein shakes? I use trutein and it tastes so good with just water I feel like I'm wasting calories adding anything else.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    use milk instead of water.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Canola oil is not exactly the healthiest or best oil for cooking. Go with grapeseed oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, peanut oil, olive oil.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Nuts, avocado, whole milk, yogurt
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    In for bacon. And avocado. Ooh bacon wrapped avocado.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Canola oil is not exactly the healthiest or best oil for cooking. Go with grapeseed oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, peanut oil, olive oil.

"Canola oil, which is made from the crushed seeds of the canola plant, is among the healthiest of cooking oils."

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/canola-oil
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    if you're already eating the 0 fat greek yogurt, give some of the 2%s a try. chobani now makes a coconut flavor, and the pineapple one is really good too. any nuts, seeds, or nut butters will bring up the fats too.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    In for bacon. And avocado. Ooh bacon wrapped avocado.

Sounds divine!