C25K - How can I add it to my exercise diary??

Hi Everyone,
I am about to embark on the C25K for the second time in my life, this time though, I will succeed. I have better suited shoes, I weigh less than I did when I last tried and know I won't die from being out of breath.

Anyway, I would be interested in any tips you have and also would like to know how I can add this to my exercise diary? Surely this is a reasonably popular interval program and I can't seem to find it in the database.

Thanks in advance
Charz

Replies

• Hi Charz,

Like you, Im about to embark on the same program for the second time round. The first time i got to the final weeks and I got a groin injury, mostly because I did it on a treadmill and the sudden jolts/stops werent good. However, this time round we me luck ... I will wish you luck also ... C25k 2nd time round pals !!

My idea to log, would be to wear a HRM and log your calories that way, create a new exercise, a custom one for you, call it c25k, use your times and your calories from your hrm, and base each run on these figures. Although part way through the program as you get fitter, your figures will change. Definately HRM it.

Good luck Charz.... Karen
  • Charz612
    Charz612 Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks Karen, that is great advice but I don't have a HMR, I'm going to try to find an app for my phone which does everything. Don't suppose you can recommend any?

Good luck! Maybe we should keep in contact to share our progress?

I did not get really far last time, just did the first day of the first week for about 2 weeks and it took me a couple of weeks to even get to that level, then did a couple of weeks of the week 1/day 2, for me that was enough at the time, but certainly made me realise that I can do it!!! I stopped because I sprained my ankle badly and because the doctor recommended that I drop more weight before I try this again.
  • Jahemian
    Jahemian Posts: 6 Member
    Hm. Did my first day today. Is there really no other way aside from going out and buying something? I think I'll stick to Fitocracy for my workouts and MFP for tracking foods. You can add interval training to your workout over on Fitocracy.
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Find a way to figure out your average pace then enter it as the amount of time at that pace. Most paces can be found in the database under MPH. Good luck with C25K!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Thanks Karen, that is great advice but I don't have a HMR, I'm going to try to find an app for my phone which does everything. Don't suppose you can recommend any?

I use Run Double
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    I'm not really sure. I was using my hrm and adding each day in as a new entry. But since I switched to TDEE method I now just enter it as custom and a 1 calorie. It might be worth cross posting this inthe C25K they might have some more tips.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

Good luck on the program. FYI...I'm still in my 300s and I'm going to do Week 8/Day 3 today. Just go as slow as you need to. I may not be able to do 5K in 30mins when I finish the program but I sure have made a huge improvement. Never thought I'd be able to get this far. You can do it :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    try using endomondo or run keeper which will track average speed and estimated cals. i find they overestimate a little so trim about a third off in my head.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Ease into 5k gives you an average pea e for the whole of the run, as well as walking and running average pace. It will also give you a calorie burn. These won't be as accurate as a HRM. You could maybe consider getting a cheap used one on eBay.
  • John1610
    John1610 Posts: 31 Member
    I experimented with some of the apps and found that "runkeeper" was best.

Runkeeper allowed me to create my own exercise plans with intervals, such as "run for 60 secs, walk for 90 secs" etc, to ensure you are sticking to your plan. It also tracks distance ran, average pace and calories burned, although the calories burned figure will rarely be 100% reliable, but this applies to most apps. It maps out your journey, which I think is a cool feature to see where you ran.

Also means you don't have to listen to the terrible music on the NHS podcasts, which is a massive advantage lol.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I did week 1 day 1 for the first time yesterday (yay), but due to the "HRM can only somewhat accurately measure steady state cardio and not walking, blah blah blah" post, I actually found myself turning it off during a portion of the routine. Is a brisk walk accurately measured by the HRM? Sometimes I wish I'd never read that post, so much for my simple life, argh! :laugh:
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    My HRM consistently says around 300 calories, even as the weeks progress.

I'm 5'5" and 76kgs (167lbs).

Hope this helps.

All the best!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Simplest would be to just keep track of the time you take to cover the whole C25K workout (walking and running included) and how far you run (use mapmyrun or something like that if needed). Then you can easily figure your pace. Enter time and pace in exercise section.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Honestly, just keep it simple. The average person burns about 100 calories a mile, walking or running. So just use that. If you go 1.5 miles that first day then you will have burned about 150 calories, give or take a few. It isn't 100% spot on, but it will be pretty close.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    I use both my HRM and Nike+ with GPS. I start C25K and put it in the background and pull up my Nike+ which shows me my pace at any point in time as my main app that I follow and gives me my time, calories burned, and average pace at the end of the run. C25K will give me the cues of when to start and stop my exercise over top of Nike+. I usually average Nike+ and my HRM's calorie estimate for what I put into MFP.

I really like to stick to a 10 min mile so I always have to check my pace on my phone to stay in that range. I'm hoping over time I'll get better at having that natural pace.