IIFYM... Your Opinions Please??

Options
I have recently been introduced to www.iifym.com and I was wondering what some of your opinions were on their theory? What are your results?

Replies

• CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I will look it up and see
  • qwerty1895
    Options
    Good results, lost about 35lbs in 3 months. Ate ice cream, fries and all kinds of good stuff.
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    bump
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Lost 75 pounds so far generally following the idea of IIYM. It gives structure which I need but also plenty of freedom (so I have no need to self-sabotage). Best approach ever for me :)
  • Hoponopono
    Hoponopono Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I liked the information I read on the site and it made a lot of sense to me. I worked out my numbers and tweaked my macros, here on my food diary, but I am only about a week in...so I truly can't give you any quantifiable feedback on how effective it is (or not). I can say that knowing my numbers and adjusting my food/activity accordingly is a great start...but only a start....it is what I choose to put in my mouth and nourish my body with that will make the difference for me. IIFYM just made me feel really informed and equipped to manage it all.

Good luck with whatever way you choose to approach accomplishing your goals and may the journey be amazing!

ETA: I have diabetes and that is why I mentioned tweaking my macros percentages (but only just a little).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Love it! I switch between maintenance and trying to lose bodyfat, and find IIFYM so easy cos I like food.... Lots of food!!!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is the perfect diet for anyone without medical problems.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    It works
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I had no idea this existed, but this is how I eat all the time. Want ice cream? Sure, if it fits. Chocolate? Sure, if it fits. I generally stay under 200 cals from non-nutrient dense foods since I only eat 1800ish a day.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    <<<<Have had my best results since focusing on my macros and not the actual cal count. IIFYM works if used in the manner it's set up for. It doesn't mean eat all the junk you want.
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    Do I have to eat the full amount of calories, fat, fibre, carbs, protein? Or can I just eat healthy food when I get hungry and so long as my choices keep me under (not over) I am good to go?
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    I read on the site that you have to eat all of the fat carbs and protein..... how do you eat all of the protein without using a protein shake?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you eat all the macros you will automatically meet your calorie goal because every gram of carbohydrate has 4 calories, every gram of protein has 4 calories, and every gram of fat has 9 calories. Doesn't matter where they come from.

You can get protein from meat, eggs, and cheese with no carbohydrates. Choose chicken breast or fish without skin for very low-fat protein sources.

Plain greek yogurt and cottage cheese are good sources of protein with very few carbohydrates, and you can get them fat-free.

I almost never have a protein shake and I have 90+ grams per day.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am hear for more than weight loss. Increasing my fitness and improving my health overall is more important to me than figuring out how to eat junk and look good.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I am hear for more than weight loss. Increasing my fitness and improving my health overall is more important to me than figuring out how to eat junk and look good.

You obviously don't understand IIFYM so please keep your judgements to yourself. You really think those of us who follow this way of eating can't acheive what you so desire? Do some research.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think the plan is going to be able to be maintained much more easily than other plans. Learning how to eat properly now without depriving yourself of things you love will in the long run make you able to stick with eating properly because you've learned how to have the things you love without going overboard.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

IIFYM is the most sustainable diet I have heard of. In order to meet your macros you are forced to eat mostly healthy choices.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    best thing ever

<
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

IIFYM is the most sustainable diet I have heard of. In order to meet your macros you are forced to eat mostly healthy choices.

I agree with this.

In the beginning, I tried eating only "healthy" foods and nearly gave up.

Now I just try to fit everything in. I pre-plan my day to include treats just so I don't fall victim to temptations. Today I've eaten dark chocolate with orange, a skinny cow candy bar and have plans to eat homemade strawberry ice cream after dinner. But I've also planned for 181g protein, 65g fat, and 178g carbs with 33g fiber for 1924 calories. All of my micronutrient goals have also been exceeded. 146% Vitamin A, 341% Vitamin C, 143% Calcium, and 219% Iron all without supplementation.