I don't know if I can do this!

Options
I feel so unmotivated and I don't know if I can do this! I can't seem to stick to healthy eating, or working out and now I just feel like giving up! Please, some motivational support?

Replies

• shellsies93
    Options
    hey! you can do it! it gets really hard sometimes but it's going to be soooo worth it in the end. Try to think positive. You will get through this! :)
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! I also have days where I question whether or not I can be successful in this but I have proved to myself and everyone else that doubted me that yes I can do this, I'm not doing it for anyone but me. Just try to think positive, when the doubt creeps in, drown it out with something like, I can and will succeed.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hell yes you can do this... but don't look at the whole deal.. just one day at a time. I diet one day at a time.. period.. I don't focus on how much I NEED to lose, just what I need to do today to HELP me lose. I often get unmotivated (especially after a longgggg day at work) about exercise... so I promise mys elf to do a short session ( ten minutes)..usually after that I find myself doing more because I got started.. hang in there!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    You can do ANYTHING for ONE day. And then the next morning you tell yourself you will do it for one more day. And after a few mornings like this ... you're going to have it nailed! Just one day at a time.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Do. Not. FREAKING. Give. Up!!!!!

You CAN do this! Believe that you can. Do not give yourself an out, by allowing yourself to believe that you are incapable. You ARE very capable!!!

MB
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time, or one hour at a time if you have to. It's a lifestyle so only make changes you can live with the rest of your life. You don't have to give up 'fun' food, just eat less of it. Work it into your calories for the day. You don't have to kill yourself exercising either, just do something active for 30-60 minutes each day. Find things you enjoy doing like hiking, playing tennis, roller blading, etc.
  • diamondgirl1995
    Options
    @bwcetc...Good idea. I like that!!!!! :-)

You CAN do it!!!! Don't give up!!!
  • lovejonz82
    lovejonz82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it..just take it one day at a time. Doing so is a lot easier than thinking about having to stick with it for the next 5 weeks. You can do anything you put your mind to. Try to envision what you want the end result to be and picture it every time you get tempted to eat something that will delay you in achieving that goal.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the long road. It can be good to think of your longterm goal from time to time, but it can be a huge mind obstacle to get past. Set small goals and celebrate (not with food) when you achieve them. A new magazine or hire a DVD you haven't seen can be great rewards.

It sounds like you are worried about sticking to healthy eating so my advice is to set yourself a day's goal - whether that be to cut down sugar or to keep within calorie limits. Choose something and do it. When you achieve it, keep it up until it's a habit that you don't even think about. Add a new goal when appropriate. Say in a week if you've kept to keeping within calories, then tackle the next bad eating habit. Trying to change everything at once can be too hard to stick to, so work at changing what you can.

If you slip and have an off day/meal, don't panic and don't give up. Every healthy choice you make is making you healthier and if you make more healthy choices than bad ones, you are winning.

Best wishes for your journey.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way today. I want to give up but I'm not going to. It just seems that all the hard work Im doing is getting me no where. My scale does not move, and I have fat I dont want and it just does not go away. You are not alone. I am readjusting my diet and going to switch up my workout routine.

I did a lil shopping and I feel a lil better. But I am not giving up. You will get through this bump. Friend me if you want, we can motivate each other.
  • anjialexander
    Options
    The time will pass regardless - 6 months down the track you can still be unhappy with your weight/fitness/health or whatever you want to change.... Or you can grit your teeth now- push through and be proud of your achievement
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    The only one that can convince you into sticking to something, is you. Keep a strong mind, and you'll have a strong body. Besides, don't you feel physically better when you eat healthy?

We're all gonna make it brahette
  • mimi337
    mimi337 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of worried about you, sweets. in your foto you look very thin and great actually -- maybe you just need to eat WELL and take some pleasure in how good it feels. i repeat what everyone else here is telling you: take it an hour at a time, don't punish yourself if you stray, don't think of the BIG picture, think of the little ones each day. And yes, sometimes to get what you want (or think you want) you simply have to be tough and power through. Check out the success stories on this site --- you'll be wowed. Good luck.
  • Nitephall
    Nitephall Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If your profile pic is you, then you don't really need to be doing this anyway. Try being 5' 7", 235 lbs, and 45 years old. Now that's a challenge. I find the more I find out about eating right, the easier it gets. I don't miss those Big Macs or french fries anymore. You get to a point where you realize food isn't really about pleasure: it's about nourishing your body.
  • pinguwing
    Options
    People here give such mindless 'motivational' advice.

Unless you are extremely short you are a normal weight already and probably aiming for underweight. You don't have to do anything. Making yourself unhappy about it is ridiculous.

Focus should be on health.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    People here give such mindless 'motivational' advice.

Unless you are extremely short you are a normal weight already and probably aiming for underweight. You don't have to do anything. Making yourself unhappy about it is ridiculous.

Focus should be on health.

Voice of reason!! I totally agree.
  • losinggweightt
    Options
    I was feeling the same way today. I want to give up but I'm not going to. It just seems that all the hard work Im doing is getting me no where. My scale does not move, and I have fat I dont want and it just does not go away. You are not alone. I am readjusting my diet and going to switch up my workout routine.

I did a lil shopping and I feel a lil better. But I am not giving up. You will get through this bump. Friend me if you want, we can motivate each other.

Thankyou for understanding! I swear all my MFP friends are losing so much weight, and just going the best they can! It kind of unmotivated me even more, like I just shouldn't be doing this, but I am going to keep going now and I won't give up! Thanks :)
  • losinggweightt
    Options
    Don't look at the long road. It can be good to think of your longterm goal from time to time, but it can be a huge mind obstacle to get past. Set small goals and celebrate (not with food) when you achieve them. A new magazine or hire a DVD you haven't seen can be great rewards.

It sounds like you are worried about sticking to healthy eating so my advice is to set yourself a day's goal - whether that be to cut down sugar or to keep within calorie limits. Choose something and do it. When you achieve it, keep it up until it's a habit that you don't even think about. Add a new goal when appropriate. Say in a week if you've kept to keeping within calories, then tackle the next bad eating habit. Trying to change everything at once can be too hard to stick to, so work at changing what you can.

If you slip and have an off day/meal, don't panic and don't give up. Every healthy choice you make is making you healthier and if you make more healthy choices than bad ones, you are winning.

Best wishes for your journey.

Thankyou, this is really nice. I have only been focusing on what I want to achieve at the end, not what I can now. So Thanks! I'll stick to calorie intake and get that sorted, and take one day at a time. Thanks so much! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I feel so unmotivated and I don't know if I can do this! I can't seem to stick to healthy eating, or working out and now I just feel like giving up! Please, some motivational support?
    Unfortunately all the "inspiring" words can be belted out with enthusiasm, sincerity and helpfulness, but it doesn't matter if you aren't motivated to do this in the first place. It's like trying to get a smoker or alcoholic to stop.....................words and support just don't make it happen. It has to start with the individual.
    You need to sit down and have a talk with yourself and figure out if it's something you really want, or are you just following the crowd.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • losinggweightt
    Options
    Unfortunately all the "inspiring" words can be belted out with enthusiasm, sincerity and helpfulness, but it doesn't matter if you aren't motivated to do this in the first place. It's like trying to get a smoker or alcoholic to stop.....................words and support just don't make it happen. It has to start with the individual.
    You need to sit down and have a talk with yourself and figure out if it's something you really want, or are you just following the crowd.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer

IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

wow thanks! This is very true