At which point do you consider the TDEE-20 too aggressive?

Options
Just wondering this - as of today I'm down to initial weight - 22 kg, which puts me 3 kg away from my initial goal weight and 8 kg away from my ultimate goal weight.

I'm thinking maybe get past the initial goal weight then raise to TDEE - 10%. I've been doing TDEE - 20% for months but the progress is starting to slow.

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • Namibia2007
    Namibia2007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whatever is TDEE?
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Whatever is TDEE?
    total daily energy expenditure

eta....it's the amount of calories you need to function in a day. I can't give you the details how to calculate it and I'm not sure how to link the posts where they are, but they are numerous on here.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I am curious about this as well, bump :)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I maintained TDEE -20% right up to my target weight. Seemed to work fine. Enjoy the ride down to maintenance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's what I don't get, personally... it's starting to slow at TDEE-20%, so I can't even imagine how it's going to get faster at TDEE-10% or 15%. I think I'm going to stick to 20% until my goal, personally, then just increase by 100 calories a month or something...
  • wlawhorn1993
    Options
    At any rate as your BMI gets lower it will get harder to lose fat, simply because your body will realize that your fat stores are depleting, it will rely more on what you eat daily instead of trying to use up its excess stores. I would stay at TDEE -20% until you plateau, which means you don't lose any significant amount of weight over a few weeks, and reevaluate your BMI. At that point if you want to look more muscular you probably need to start lifting, and building muscle. If you want to lose more fat, you may have to go hardcore and trick your body using carb cycling. Google Scooby's Workshop and read what he has to say about losing weight, of doesn't just apply to bodybuilders. Scooby has been around the block a few million times, and to be 50 y/o he is I'm excellent shape.
  • wlawhorn1993
    Options
    Also I forgot to mention, that it would probably benefit you to calculate your BMI on scooby's website and use his accurate calorie calculator. Most calorie calculators, are on a really basic formula, if you have less muscle than what the calorie calculator puts I'm for you, it will make your BMR seem higher, which makes your tdee higher. The more muscle you have the more calories it costs to live everyday. So, calculate your body mass index to find out what your body fat percentage is, if it is over 15%, which is actually pretty darn skinny, then the basic calorie calculator is probably not giving you the correct values, you should use the accurate calorie calculator, all completely 100% free at Scooby's Workshop (Google it)
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I maintained TDEE -20% right up to my target weight. Seemed to work fine. Enjoy the ride down to maintenance.

Thanks for that.... I was kinda hoping that would be someones answer :)
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Also I forgot to mention, that it would probably benefit you to calculate your BMI on scooby's website and use his accurate calorie calculator. Most calorie calculators, are on a really basic formula, if you have less muscle than what the calorie calculator puts I'm for you, it will make your BMR seem higher, which makes your tdee higher. The more muscle you have the more calories it costs to live everyday. So, calculate your body mass index to find out what your body fat percentage is, if it is over 15%, which is actually pretty darn skinny, then the basic calorie calculator is probably not giving you the correct values, you should use the accurate calorie calculator, all completely 100% free at Scooby's Workshop (Google it)

Thanks. I don't believe in BMI at all and so I won't be going there, but I get my BF% done in the gym.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It's my personal opinion that TDEE-30% is fine for obese individuals, TDEE-20% is fine for most others (about 20-30% body fat for females) and then TDEE-15% if you are a female under 20% body fat.

This is the general rule that I have been following and seems to be working well for me.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    For most people it's when your -20% becomes lower that your BMR. Then move to -15% until that is below your BMR, then 10%.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    It's my personal opinion that TDEE-30% is fine for obese individuals, TDEE-20% is fine for most others (about 20-30% body fat for females) and then TDEE-15% if you are a female under 20% body fat.

This is the general rule that I have been following and seems to be working well for me.

following that I fit into the -20% :) thanks
  • trudijoy
    Options
    For most people it's when your -20% becomes lower that your BMR. Then move to -15% until that is below your BMR, then 10%.

I did the sums at goal weight and for me TDEE - 20 will probably never go below BMR :)
  • ladynocturne
    Options

I did the sums at goal weight and for me TDEE - 20 will probably never go below BMR :)

Hm yeah I went all the way to the low point of BMI for my height and it still isn't under my BMR. I find that strange. Maybe it only really goes under for petite people?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Hm yeah I went all the way to the low point of BMI for my height and it still isn't under my BMR. I find that strange. Maybe it only really goes under for petite people?

Or non-exercisers. People who lose weight without exercise have lower TDEE numbers causing the percentage lower to be closer or even under BMR.
  • ladynocturne
    Options

Or non-exercisers. People who lose weight without exercise have lower TDEE numbers causing the percentage lower to be closer or even under BMR.

Ah yes, good point. I didn't bother putting in Sedentary because I don't ever anticipate not going to the gym or being active.

Might as well use MFP instead of TDEE at that point.
  • trudijoy
    Options

Ah yes, good point. I didn't bother putting in Sedentary because I don't ever anticipate not going to the gym or being active.

Might as well use MFP instead of TDEE at that point.

Yep I use TDEE because my workouts change a lot and I don't want to eat back exercise cals if it's going to be that inconsistent, esp as I have a crap thyroid. So TDEE enables me to eat steadier